Predators
654 (49.8%)

Total Members Voted: 1202

Author
Alien or Predator? (Read 469,935 times)

TJ Doc

TJ Doc

Oh boy, I've really dug a hole for myself.  :(

Alright, bear in mind I'm only really referring to the original Predator. P2's one can be let off since, for the most part, he's disposing of dangerous criminals ("Go nuts." I can imagine his friends back on the ship telling him); and both AvP's Preds obviously have proper agendas. Please believe me, though, when I type that I'm not, I repeat, NOT trying to call the Predators warriors for justice. They are anything but.

But the first, "Anytime"... what's his problem? I guess I could understand his guerrilla-slaughtering in the years prior to the film's events (they were depicted as clear-cut bastards), but why bother with Dutch's (or indeed Hopper's) team? What did they ever do to warrent a hunt?

*remembers Dutch and co. laying waste to the entire guerrilla camp*

Okay, so maybe that got the Pred's attention. Although if I was in the Pred's seemingly low-gravity boots, I reckon I'd have a new-found respect for the Austrian oak and would have let him walk out unharmed... Jesus this hole is getting deep.

But I still can't see the necessity, or indeed the fun involved with the Predator's hunting. It isn't hockey or football... it's slaughter. Can the whole race be built around such a duty?

So I ask the question: Is there such thing as a Predator banker? Or dentist?

keylight-di

keylight-di

Calmly, TD!  ;D
For you it's slaughter. OK. I can understand, believe me. ;)
But...
Have you ever seen a hunting? Human hunting. There is no struggle for justice. I'm not a hunter, and I never will, but I understand that if the hunter chooses the victim (a deer, or anything else) - he chooses the best individual. Not some weak, sick or too young. High-quality, complete prey. The more stronger- the better. This is the best trophy.

The same situation we can be seen in P1. Anytime chose the strongest. He was not interested in Anna, a poor unarmed woman, right? He looked for challenges!
And this is it...
Of course, you can don't like it. But this is true. :)

Talking about bankers and dentists it's speculation. But I'm sure that they have medicine. Bankers? I'm not sure... Politicians? I'm sure they have none... ;D

(*If you have to dig a hole for yourself, I invite to my dark corner... where is my one-person hive...;D*)

huntin8-t0n

huntin8-t0n

Yes, looking for the most dangerous prey is the key for them here I think. Unlike in the case of human hunting (perfectly described by keylight-di :)), they are not just looking for complete (uninjured etc.) prey, but one which means danger to them (and Dutch/ the guerillas meant the most danger in that situation, on Earth. I sincerely think that the hunter thought of them as something that's capable of killing him; while watching them in infra-red at, I almost could feel the thrill and hazard the hunter had). This danger is what makes a trophy really worthy, and make the hunter and other hunters (!) feel respect for it (it cannot be described with just this one word I think btw). This makes the society they have work in my opinion.

Why would you dig your grave? I was really interested in your opinion, that's why I asked. And I'm grateful :)
(I know wasn't just for me, thanks anyway:))

Kriszilla

Kriszilla

I really think it's an ego thing with Preds tbh, they hunt for the status and enjoyment that comes from killing deadly prey. A lot like big game hunters on Earth, really.

I think that was always the intention of the film-makers (the things characters are scripted to say seems to support this), that the Predator goes for those who it feels represent the greatest challenge to its skills as a hunter, a trophy it can show off to other Predators back home, or hang up on the wall as a souvenir.

Personally I like this idea. All the honour and samurai bullshit just pisses me off because it's got no foundation in the films. The predator just kills anything that presents a challenge to it other than an old guy who's terminally ill, a pregnant woman, and a kid with a fake gun.

It doesn't kill Weyland because he's going to die anyway, you can't take glory in killing a weak specimen, so there's no real point.

It doesn't kill the pregnant woman because it may go against some sort of code, like not killing pregnant females because it damages the population, or maybe because it's taking a life that is unable to defend itself in any way whatsoever, being barely sentient, if at all.

And it doesn't kill the kid because, well, apart from being a kid, the gun isn't even real.

Plus, the way the predators kills some of their foes don't seem very honourable to me. Like sitting in a tree while invisible and shooting them in the back.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

I disagree about children. Pussyface was ready to fire. It was only when he realized the gun was plastic did he stop himself.

Kriszilla

Kriszilla

Yeah, I suppose a gun is dangerous whoever has it.

The Ghoul

The Ghoul

i think if the kid had a real uzi pussyface would of blown the crap out of him. sorry kid...

i was just glad pussface was smart enough to know it was fake. :D

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: The Dude5000 on Jan 10, 2010, 10:23:53 AM
i think if the kid had a real uzi pussyface would of blown the crap out of him. sorry kid...

i was just glad pussface was smart enough to know it was fake. :D

Yea, I think this same.
BTW For me more dangerous and unpredictable are small child or frightened old woman, armed with a real gun than a regular soldier. The soldier is predictable, more or less, he behaves according to specific, logical rules. Panicked civilian doesn't. ;)

Master Chief

Master Chief

Panicking kids and old lady skulls wouldn't mean anything to a Predator.  They're more of a nuisance and probably the easiest to kill.

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: Master Chief on Jan 10, 2010, 06:13:05 PM
Panicking kids and old lady skulls wouldn't mean anything to a Predator.  They're more of a nuisance and probably the easiest to kill.
They are dangerous and unpredictable. It makes up a degree of difficulty. I am not sure about their worthlessness. Anyone holding a gun (ready to fire) is dangerous. The weapon is the key.
Therefore, Anytime didn't kill Anna.
Therefore, Pussyface didn't kill kid with a toy. But he killed all armed people in metro.
I don't know it could be worthy trophy, but rules of hunting are clear.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: keylight-di on Jan 09, 2010, 06:22:30 AM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jan 09, 2010, 05:45:44 AM
So you wish you could go around killing random people and taking their spines and skulls? Get help, man. Seriously.

I really doubt, he was thinking about this concrete aspect of Preds lifestyle.
BTW they never kill random humans.
Seriously.

I was joking. Sorry that I didn't make that clear. I guess I should have added a little ;) at the end of the sentence.

keylight-di

keylight-di

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jan 10, 2010, 08:54:49 PM
Quote from: keylight-di on Jan 09, 2010, 06:22:30 AM
Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jan 09, 2010, 05:45:44 AM
So you wish you could go around killing random people and taking their spines and skulls? Get help, man. Seriously.

I really doubt, he was thinking about this concrete aspect of Preds lifestyle.
BTW they never kill random humans.
Seriously.

I was joking. Sorry that I didn't make that clear. I guess I should have added a little ;) at the end of the sentence.

Oh, yea... You should use many of  ;) ;) ;), it could make your message more clear...
I hoped, it was joke... ;D

(Be careful, sometimes people take you seriously... ;D)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I'll be sure to use many a  ;), :D, and ;D from now on.

Master Chief

Master Chief

Quote from: keylight-di on Jan 10, 2010, 06:24:21 PM
They are dangerous and unpredictable. It makes up a degree of difficulty.
Sure. But to think that they are more dangerous than a soldier, is a bit much.

xenopuff

xenopuff

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jan 10, 2010, 09:05:07 PM
I'll be sure to use many a  ;), :D, and ;D from now on.

haha i use them a lot already haha :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed