Are they going to make a sequel?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, Dec 11, 2018, 07:56:53 AM

Author
Are they going to make a sequel? (Read 9,504 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Wysps on Dec 12, 2018, 11:52:37 AM
Agreed. Though judging by some of his interviews (when the movie initially came out), it sounded as if he wasn't interested in doing any movies for a while. He just sounded tired and burnt out.

He sounded completely fed up! He said he'd be going back to something smaller scale. Sounds like he really hated working on a bigger studio film. It certainly wont be the end of his career. The film wasn't a bomb.

We wont be seeing a Predator film for a while, though. That I'm certain of.

El Pistolero

El Pistolero

Yes I think the production was kind of a torture for him when it turned out, that it failed the test screening and I think till then we didn't heard any enthusiasm about the movie by himself. I think the illogical aspects in that movie came from the reshoots and the Upgrade idea turned out very bad. I find the upgrade idea not bad, but I'd doesn't fit to the predator. I think they should have introduced a new species or better kind of a new franchise. It is a good idea for a new alien species.

Or maybe the upgrade predator is another alien species with assimilated predator DNA  ::)

AVP-CAPCOM

Cute kid with autism takes over an alien spaceship?

Flight of the Navigator sequel with a PREDATOR written by a writer whose main input is stuck in the 1980s?

Shane Black has no-one but himself to blame.

Cute and PREDATOR do not mix.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Dec 12, 2018, 01:10:11 PM

Flight of the Navigator sequel with a PREDATOR written by a writer whose main input is stuck in the 1980s?

Can't argue with that.

The Kurgan

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Dec 12, 2018, 01:49:12 PM
Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Dec 12, 2018, 01:10:11 PM

Can't argue with that.

It was his fault, no doubt. I don't think even he would disagree. Tried something totally different and it failed. I think he was aware of the risks and consequences.
Still, I understand he is not so eager to go back to the director's chair at the moment.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: El Pistolero on Dec 12, 2018, 09:02:05 AM
Shane Black is still a very good director. But it is like Ridley Scott. He is no writer, but he is good in character development. Each character in his films is very individual. And that is very refreshing in a movie world full of stereotypes. I think he should continue on movies like The Nice Guys. I really enjoyed that movie. But he should stay away from franchise productions.

I think he is a better writer than director, he isn't a bad director though.

El Pistolero

I think we didn't really saw his version of the movie. I think the right one wouldn't be much better. But the finished film felt repaired somehow. They shot the whole third act new and a lot of other scenes and taped them together somehow.

Voodoo Magic

It's my belief "The Predator" would have been a lot worse if the studio didn't step in. 

El Pistolero

El Pistolero

We will never find out. I think I see potential in the emissary predators. Would have been make more sence then the amoking around fugitive predator with his questionable reason trying saving the earth.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: El Pistolero on Dec 12, 2018, 03:03:25 PM
We will never find out. I think I see potential in the emissary predators. Would have been make more sence then the smoking around fugitive predator with his questionable reason trying saving the earth.

True, we can only hypothesize, but at least for me, friendly predators, the pred-monkeys, pred-spiders and more scenes with the pet pred-dog kind of clinch it for me in my mind. ;)

AhabPredator

Probably not.

funk_master_chunk

I feel for Shane Black.

This film must've aged him something terrible! The numerous hiatuses from Twitter etc. due to backlash. I think the studio stepping in has ruined it, personally.

Sure the underlying problems were there; but going off recent posts on here it looks like there were multiple endings and, had he and his team been afforded the time to work on what was wrong with their script as opposed to shoe-horning all kinds in and out of cuts, then I think we'd have ended up with a much better body of work.

To answer the OP - I hope this film doesn't get a sequel; but I hope the franchise does. Preferably with a direct sequel to P2 and the retconning of this. It's a shame as the Loonies were actually very good - Holbrook in particular, so it's a shame to lose him/them.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Clanleaderyautja on Dec 12, 2018, 03:40:29 PM
Probably not.

And how much of that budget was on screen?

I reckon half of that.

Add in the rumoured $100 Million marketing costs against the $160 million box office.

Yep it's a bomb.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Dec 12, 2018, 04:56:06 PM
Probably not.

I reckon half of that.

Add in the rumoured $100 Million marketing costs against the $160 million box office.

Yep it's a bomb.

That's not a bomb.

Jason Momoa in "Conan the Barbarian".
Production Budget: $90 million
Worldwide Gross: $48,795,021

That's a bomb.

AhabPredator

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Dec 12, 2018, 04:56:06 PM
Probably not.

I reckon half of that.

Yep it's a bomb.

The $88 mil is only the film itself. Not marketing or any of that mess. The official numbers on that aren't out yet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed