Will you feel cheated if Ridley reverses himself again...

Started by Local Trouble, Sep 17, 2017, 10:26:07 PM

Disappointed?  Cheated?  Betrayed?

Yes
No
Don't care either way
Other (see my reply)
Author
Will you feel cheated if Ridley reverses himself again... (Read 4,904 times)

Predaker

While Prometheus was suggestive of possible alien origins, it was still left very much a mystery. Covenant has now laid that to rest. For the next film to retcon that would be a bit disappointing at this point, if only because it would be retreading covered ground rather than moving forward.

It would be even more disappointing if all that happened was some throwaway line from David to the effect of, "btw, I was really just copying some old engineer designs I found."

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: necrotard on Sep 19, 2017, 05:45:23 AM
QuoteSo like. The colonists get infected by David and become the eggs we see on LV-426
That makes absolutely no sense.

-The Covenant wasn't going to LV-426.
-The eggs in Alien are of a more biomechanical breed of the creatures.  Ridley intentionally made the design of the alien less mechanical in Covenant to show that it's an earlier draft of the beast.  So how did the newer biomechanical version come about?
-If the eggs weren't directly made by the engineers, how did the eggs in Alien end up in one of their ships?
-Why did that engineer ship crash on LV-426?

These questions are absolutely NOT easily filled in by the imagination and your simplified rundown of the next movie doesn't cover it at all.

So the next movie is apparently not that pre-ordained, therefor, I want to see it.

But who cares about the eggs! That's plot, what's the story. The movie would be just a checklist.

SM

Quote from: Predaker on Sep 19, 2017, 01:34:29 PM
While Prometheus was suggestive of possible alien origins, it was still left very much a mystery. Covenant has now laid that to rest. For the next film to retcon that would be a bit disappointing at this point, if only because it would be retreading covered ground rather than moving forward.

It would be even more disappointing if all that happened was some throwaway line from David to the effect of, "btw, I was really just copying some old engineer designs I found."

Be better if David thought he was a god only to find the Engineers had done it before and he was a forger.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Sep 19, 2017, 08:53:53 PM
Be better if David thought he was a god only to find the Engineers had done it before and he was a forger.

Scorpio

It's depressing to read these posts.  Negative nancys.  When the next film comes out and turns out to be pure fan service, you'll complain about that too and be begging for Ridley to return. 

HuDaFuK

Covenant already was fan service. So much of the film was just things earlier Alien films had already done (often better).

Rudiger

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 20, 2017, 08:08:42 AM
Covenant already was fan service. So much of the film was just things earlier Alien films had already done (often better).

Aint that the truth.

tleilaxu

The question doesn't make sense since it's already heavily hinted in The Advent that the engineers experimented with this stuff in the past.

0321recon

Other posts on the website there's discussions of Fox trusting Scott and wanting him to find the right story to break new ground with the franchise. 

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=58873.45

http://variety.com/2017/film/features/stacey-snider-21st-century-fox-first-year-1202563799/

It seems Fox is acknowledging they screwed the pooch with Covenant. Perhaps, Scott will reverse himself and tell the story he wanted to tell with the engineers or salvage what is left from Covenant and go from there.   

PierreVW

Quote from: 0321recon on Sep 20, 2017, 05:50:11 PM
Other posts on the website there's discussions of Fox trusting Scott and wanting him to find the right story to break new ground with the franchise. 

http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=58873.45

http://variety.com/2017/film/features/stacey-snider-21st-century-fox-first-year-1202563799/

It seems Fox is acknowledging they screwed the pooch with Covenant. Perhaps, Scott will reverse himself and tell the story he wanted to tell with the engineers or salvage what is left from Covenant and go from there.   

Great news. FOX still trust in my man: Ridley Scott.

bleau

bleau

I don't see anything that could be salvageable from covenant. And yes I'll be disappointment if they retcon and change things from covenant. They made it? did they not like it, story, film as whole. Or are do they not like it because it made no money? If they did not like it as a whole on a personal level, then why did they release it in the first place. Oh and obviously those test screenings were a joke. I think they sabotaged themselves by having hoards of test screenings. Have professional's review, test it. Why have average joe's dictate what should be in an Alien Prequal. People might want aliens in it, but that doesn't mean it will be great. Sometimes new stuff can be better. I think majority would want something new and different. Let the man himself do his thing. Sometimes what the fan's want is not always practical or the best. I think the people wanting Aliens in Promy was a vocal fan boy minority. I guess in reality it's actually are (fan community) fault. For real it is. We bitched about Promy having no Aliens then look what we got. The ones complaining seem somewhat happy and the much larger group who didn't care about the aliens disliked it. Thanks guy's (the vary vocal and naive). Just Kidding. :D

Obviously I'm covering ground already covered here and my post is mostly sarcasm. Please nothing personal,  It's just thats what it seems like from my observation. Beside's I'm a fan boy as well, but I was in much agreement with Ridly Scott's decisions on Promy. Now I hope everyone can see Ridly was possibly right and does know a thing or two.

I also get the impression that Fox was not all that impressed with Prometheus. A 130 Mil budget and slightly over 400 mil BO world wide. IDK about you but to me for an alien film, that was a great success.  Obviously not to Fox who waited 5 years later and a reduced budget for sequel. Did they think that was going to make more money then Promy because of da Aliens are in it now LOL. I'm just bewildered, nothing these people do makes one lick of sense to me. Well That's my rant and thoughts.

SM

Nothing at all "personal" about being labelled not only "twelve" but also "retarded"...

Deadmeat

One day people will learn what "nothing personal" really means. ::)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: bleau on Sep 21, 2017, 09:55:11 AM
Mo Aliens, needs mo Aliens, what are we twelve and retarded

Really getting bored of seeing comments like this. If you can't express opinions without resulting to crappy comments like this, let's not bother.

bleau

bleau

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2017, 10:07:27 AM
Nothing at all "personal" about being labelled not only "twelve" but also "retarded"...

If your offended, I' apologize, and any one else. Simply meant me and general fans, as in making fun of are self's. Meaning indirectly it's our (possibly) fault.
Besides I wasn't calling anyone specifically dumb or retarded. I was Generalizing. ;)

Idk, maybe I do come off as rude to some and I apologies in advance, just trying to get my point out. I'll remove it if I have to.  Or change wording.

And to be clear my Post are thoughtful and vary explanatory. Perhaps a comment in my post was crappy, all I can do is be sorry. I changed it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed