Let`s talk about Predator design shell we?

Started by Master, Jun 17, 2018, 08:10:00 PM

Do you like new Predator design?

Hell Yeah, thats da change we need! Everything super cool, bla bla bla... (groupies)
3 (3.6%)
Yes, I like those deigns. (positive)
31 (37.3%)
Yes, I like some of those designs. (mostly positive)
22 (26.5%)
I don`t love them, nor hate them. (indifferent)
15 (18.1%)
I don`t like some of those designs. (mostly negative)
2 (2.4%)
I don`t like those designs. (negative)
8 (9.6%)
That`s bullshit, worst designs ever made! My childhood is ruined, bla bla bla... (haters)
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 83

Author
Let`s talk about Predator design shell we? (Read 30,453 times)

Master

Master

What do you guys think about those new Predator designs? Like 'em or not? Do you think it`s a step in the right direction, or failed attemtp?  I`d like this to be a place to talk about the designs regardless the plot, just what you think, what you like and where we are going with them.

As a reminder I`m addig pictures of all Predators from new film, we`ve seen so far. I`ll update it when we get more info.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD

Captured Predator

Main Predator of the film, he`s wearing more armour then nearly any other main Predator before him ( Scar is still the most armored to the date). He`s gear is very clean and modern looking.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj68Hrdj_hQ/?tagged=cineeurope
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj2YP7OAfPe/?tagged=cineeurope

I don`t like those golden panels, silver would be much more appropriate. Overall armour is very superhero looking, but in the trailer it`s not very distracting. Let`s hope It stays that way in final film.

Upgrade Predator

Main baddie of the movie, Gigant among predator. Super big, super tall, super strong. Super cool?

I`m not sold on this desing. It`s not necessarily bad, it`s just plain and uninspired. Upgrade is Uber Lycan of this movie. Bigger version of normal Predator and ... that`s it. He`s totally not interesting, no cool mask, no cool armour, no weapons, no nothing. Just big. You`d think that in franchise wiht 30+ years of heritage they`ll come up  with something more impressive.

New pictures points to different mouth structure, more AvP like.

Friendly Predators

Comrades of our heroes. Those guys are using earth based weapons and armour. What`s worth to notice is they have exactly thesame masks as Captured Pred. All Predatos in this one have thesame mask. Unfortunatelly.

I don`t know what to think about those. Not very fond of the idea, but haven`t seen enough to pass final judgement, but those similar helmets... come on.

News say that those guys were screapped entirely. That's abit sad. If their role was changed to be backup from space to help fight Upgrade, insted earth dwelling defectors, they could very well stay in the story.

Scorpio

I like them all to be honest, I don't want to see classic Predator show up again, give us something new.  Best overall design is Predator 2, IMO, but I like seeing new takes on the design.

PredBabe

Groupie.

Those friendlies look very friendly.  :D

Xan21

I don't like any of them byeeee

Wysps

Mostly positive.  I think some of the designs are neat, but only if it's for a select group of Predators and not to be a new direction for the franchise going forward.  Would have liked the main, non-baddie Predator to be a classic, but I'll take it.

OpenMaw

I'm okay with Captured.

I rather like Upgrade. Wish he had more signs of trophies and that kind of thing, but he looks better than I could have anticipated given his concept and what he's described as in the script.

The ally predators are okay. I'm not keen on their paintball gear.

Lionhart

I don't like the design showed in the pictures. Maybe it will look better on screen. They could have put in some effort and give all predator different design. Now we know they all look the same.

The Wolverine Predator

Being a fan since day 1 and being it's 31 years later I would expect some new designs to be on display like they are. I love the Jungle Hunter and City Predator, but will be fine with the Captured Predator from the pictures and trailers. The gold doesn't stand out as much from what I've seen, I'm not a fan of the statue from the other day, it does look a little too super-heroish. Toooooo....Much gold or bright yellow
The Upgrade looks cool and not so cool at the same time right now, I didn't like how his arms were swinging when the other Predator he slammed into the car looked up to square off with him, hopefully they clean up that CGI effect.
Overall I think this Predator movie will surpass Predators, maybe even Predator 2
But nothing will touch the original.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Shuriken

Captured Predator is my favorite so far. The whole concept of the Upgrade Predator automatically makes me  dismissive of it. The "comrade" Predators are...ok right now.

funk_master_chunk

The image of Captured holding McKenna up makes him look brilliant, IMO. Not too dissimilar to what's come before, but different enough to make you look at it.

But the casts of the armour in the Barcelona tweets are shocking. One thing I've only just noticed is that the wrist computer is the same as the "remote control" for the ship - I know it's bot a remote for the ship, so don't want to startvthat up again; but you know what I mean.

Upgrade is much better than what I was expecting. Having read the early draft, I was expecting much worse. I don't think the design is spectacular or anything; but if you've read the script you'll know exactly what I mean.

The airsoft Preds can get in the bin, though. f**king awful design choice. Can only hope that they went down like a lead balloon and was obliterated during the reshoots. Just no.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

I'm positive overall.

Captured's armor looks great, his facial features seen quickly in the tv spot looked good. His mask i'm not entirely sure about as of right now, it might be a bit too "robot" and "smooth" for me... And maybe a little too big also, but i don't dislike it either, i need to see it in the movie.

Upgrade looks really good, badass and ominous, just what he needs to be ! Maybe a bit too tall but i'm not sure, as it could be due to a camera trick.

Ally preds looks meh, i need to see them in motion during the movie, but i was never keen on seeing preds in human clothes. And i agree that they could've had different masks.

OpenMaw

I can't imagine ADI doesn't have some more mask molds lying around from the AVP days. Even just generic P1 masks to keep Captured looking unique.

black

black

Earlier I said that there was still hope for an upgrade and now all the hope is for hybrids,dogs,spiders and Jake Busey.I will never lose hope!

Scorpio

I have to say that Captured resembles Ra the Sun God from Ancient Egypt.  Notice the scales, the beak like mask, the Egyptian skirt, the colour yellow which represents the Sun and the top of the helmet looks similar to a snake coiled around the sun.

Corporal Hicks

To be honest, I'd really love to hear much about the design mentalities and story mentalities behind the designs but as it stands I don't hate any of them. I really dig the new mask. I love the in-laid gold in the design. Them all having the same masks doesn't bother me as I'm currently rationalising them as being stand-issue Predator military masks (but I would love to know the actual thinking).

Same with the armoured approach to Captured. Makes sense to me that if they know they're going against the Upgrade, they'd go for something more than the casual hunting outfit. I like the samurai skirt we've seen but I'd love to hear more about the thinking behind it all.

I've nothing against the "friendly" Predators either. If they've been here for ages and working with us, I don't see why they wouldn't need their kit replacing or why we wouldn't try to oblige them. I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with it.

Now Upgrade...I'm glad they didn't do anything wild with it. I'm glad it's not Goro-Predator from the Predators sequel. I'd like to get a proper look at it, though. Don't feel like we can clearly see the red mottling and I'd love to see that in more detail. That said...it doesn't seem like there's really much to it so far other than the size.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed