Does anyone still make DEdit maps and levels? Newbie here

Started by Spooky799kil, Mar 06, 2016, 10:11:47 PM

Author
Does anyone still make DEdit maps and levels? Newbie here (Read 2,870 times)

Spooky799kil

Nope, the cshell.dll file is not in the AVP2 folder or the whole Aliens vs. Predator Folder in general. I believe I am running into this error because I don't have this file. I think when I unrezed the unrez.bat file it must not have unpacked all the files when it made the AVP2 folder. Could you possibly look in your folder to see where the file is supposed to be? Also I have no idea what winrez is.

Well with this problem I will unable to test my maps I'd be working on. Just my luck. I will do trial and error as I have been doing to solve this issue but so far I've had no luck. I will keep you posted if I solve the issue.

windebieste

The cshell.dll should be in your Project folder:  YourPathTo/AvP2/AvP2/cshell.dll

winrez is a third party tool. It's an alternative utility for managing and creating FileName.rez archives for your mod if it contains multiple files.  It's been a long time since I've used it.  Completely forgot about it, actually.  It might even be ideal to unrez the Project .rez files for the game.

Maybe someone could post a small tutorial for its correct usage.

-Windebieste.

Randomizer

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 07, 2016, 08:44:46 AM
Not many mappers left (well active ones)

Maybe 3? max pretty much it.

as for modders and skinners? that's the same. not a lot left.

We're a dying race.

But we'll still be around and make some kool stuff for avp2 for many more years!

;)

Count me in !

While not an "official" mapper right now, I'm pretty close to actually doing something from start to finish. Singleplayer maps is what I'm aiming for, as I feel AvP2 has an enormous lack of these since Gamefront / Fileplanet went down.

Just need some time to learn how to do skyboxes properly and correct AI behavior. Unfortunately for the past week mods and several projects have been eating my time, so I'm most probably not even going to attempt something until the weekend.

Not really, but almost.  ::)

Spooky799kil

Ok I think I see the problem. I ran the unrez.bat file again and look what it says when its finished. Sorry I don't know how to add a screenshot so just in case it doesn't show up heres a link to the image http://prnt.sc/acty59. Anyways so it says it could not create the files of sres.dll and cres.dll. It does not say cshell.dll though so I am confused why the file is missing unless it has attachment to those files. My AVP2 folder does not have these 3 files.

As for Winrez I googled it and tried to find a download but the website I found my antivirus said it contained malware and refused to download it. Anyone know a website with safe download? But if its not mandatory then I don't need it.

Le Celticant

Hey,

You gonna have to install winrez, I'm sure x-M-x has some special safe links (he has backup about anything in the universe!  :P )
That way you could extract manually cshell.dll and sres.dll (cshell.dll being one of the most important file of the entire game btw).

Spooky799kil

Quote from: Randomizer on Mar 08, 2016, 07:42:13 PM

Count me in !

While not an "official" mapper right now, I'm pretty close to actually doing something from start to finish. Singleplayer maps is what I'm aiming for, as I feel AvP2 has an enormous lack of these since Gamefront / Fileplanet went down.

Just need some time to learn how to do skyboxes properly and correct AI behavior. Unfortunately for the past week mods and several projects have been eating my time, so I'm most probably not even going to attempt something until the weekend.

Not really, but almost.  ::)

Hey I don't know if you kept old files but a few years back before GameFront went down I downloaded alot AVP2 single player games made by fans. Wonder if I have any that have became lost in oblivion. Here I will make a list of all the mods I have downloaded.

AVP_Extinction
Coffee_Break
Emeralds Hunting Vessel
Fear
Fear 2
Fear 3
Sk core
gold temple
hades
sp_encapsulation
Stranded 1a and redux
tds training
Bio weapon
dropshipdown
endgame
forestbunker
GasFacility
Gladiator
Hostileappetite
Infestation
Island of the dead
morlock
SPDND_hive
SurvivialBeta
SUK Stronghold
TOW
Trooperstyle
Xenocommand
Sk_lonersfate

I don't think I downloaded all of them sadly but hopefully I may have saved some. I don't know any sites that have the files anymore.

x-M-x

We have them all (don't worry)  :)

windebieste

Ya. The X-Man has all the stuffz.

-Windebieste.

KingKenny

Quote from: windebieste on Mar 09, 2016, 10:44:23 PM
Ya. The X-Man has all the stuffz.

-Windebieste.

lol X-Man. We both have all the stuff. I uploaded everything AvP2 that I could find on the web since I got the game. I'm missing the Kaze mod and VIP mod though.

Everything (including some obscure stuff that was on geocities sites only) is saved for the most part. I'd say its 99% complete. It's like 12-13 gb total I believe. We need a new site for it. As of now there is Lonebullet, Fileplanet (semi-works still), Gamefront (files remain but will delete if not downloaded in a few months or so) and Moddb.

Here is Winrez: www.avpunknown.com/avp2files/avp2tools/WinRezLT3.0.zip

Personally I don't recommend it. I prefer using command prompt and lithrez.exe to rez and derez. Anytime I open up rez files with Dragon unpacker or something similar, I can tell if Winrez was used as it can't open the rez. If lithrez.exe was used, Dragon unpacker will open the rez with ease.

Also WInrez comes with other tools in it. The DTX viewer is great, but I think it has another tool/program in it that was written for windows xp/2000 only. It's some sort of windows shell extension plugin and will causes crashes on modern Windows OS like 7 and 8. I forgot the name of it, but be cautious with that.

Spooky799kil

Spooky799kil

I think the others were telling me to use it because lith rez was not unpacking the unrez.bat file correctly. I still haven't got pass this issue. XMX said that he believes my downloaded file maybe corrupted but who knows what could be the real problem. Still working with him to get this going. Once I get this issue solved I will be using the modmaker guide to start working on my first map. Thanks again KingKenny :)

x-M-x

Yea, keep me informed I've sent you all the links now.

let me know how it gets on.

Randomizer

Quote from: Spooky799kil on Mar 09, 2016, 07:54:18 PM
Quote from: Randomizer on Mar 08, 2016, 07:42:13 PM
Hey I don't know if you kept old files but a few years back before GameFront went down I downloaded alot AVP2 single player games made by fans. Wonder if I have any that have became lost in oblivion. Here I will make a list of all the mods I have downloaded.

AVP_Extinction
Coffee_Break
Emeralds Hunting Vessel
Fear
Fear 2
Fear 3
Sk core
gold temple
hades
sp_encapsulation
Stranded 1a and redux
tds training
Bio weapon
dropshipdown
endgame
forestbunker
GasFacility
Gladiator
Hostileappetite
Infestation
Island of the dead
morlock
SPDND_hive
SurvivialBeta
SUK Stronghold
TOW
Trooperstyle
Xenocommand
Sk_lonersfate

I don't think I downloaded all of them sadly but hopefully I may have saved some. I don't know any sites that have the files anymore.

Mostly what you have, plus a couple others:

TOW
Xenocommand
SurvivalBeta
Island of the Dead
FEAR, 2, 3 + the FEAR 3 beta

What you don't have but I do:

Under the Hunter's Moon
Alley Witch AI
The Narrov Way
FROSTY_ALIENS_PREDATORS (this one is fairly new and is available on ModDB)

Most of these I managed to find on a dying torrent and saved them just in time, while others I had to get by contacting the creators themselves.

Wasn't AVP Extinction an Android/iOS game instead?

Would you also mind uploading them somewhere? Preferably a torrent, as I suppose they have a fairly big size and would be easier to download from there.

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 09, 2016, 08:59:53 PM

Then why aren't they uploaded yet? Get going !  :laugh:

Spooky799kil

Actually AVP extinction is Ps2 RTS game which was pretty fun is my 3rd favorite game of the franchise behind AVP2 and Alien Isolation.

Heres my Lets play of AVP Extinction if you never actually seen someone play it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEBThY0AzCM

They are actually my most popular videos actually.

The AVP Extinction map can be played in Single player but I believe its a multiplayer map as there is no AI and the map is set up like a Multiplayer map.
I honestly never uploaded files before.

Lucifero

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quote from: Lucifero on Mar 10, 2016, 07:35:47 PM
Quote from: Randomizer on Mar 10, 2016, 06:59:35 PM

Quote from: x-M-x on Mar 09, 2016, 08:59:53 PM

http://i.imgur.com/FiqDw18.gif

Then why aren't they uploaded yet? Get going !  :laugh:

good question

Hah,

Everything is UPLOADED.... we have yet to make a site for it. (i could host them in avp2 downloads section on avpunknown but that would take ages)

And to make a mini files sites for all the files TAKES time.... and i'm taken a break from site making at the moment lol.

But for the moment... if you guys want a type of mod you cant find let me know the name and i'll dig around the ftp and see if it's there.

And for anyone OUT THERE... we are looking for KAZE MOD for avp2.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed