Playing AVP2 on Vista

Started by predxeno, Apr 30, 2010, 04:54:24 PM

Author
Playing AVP2 on Vista (Read 5,497 times)

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

I'm having a problem here which kind of sucks, AVP 2 plays horrible on my rig. It stutters real bad in certains areas. For exmaple, the first Marine mission, the moment it starts and your moving around it will stutter real bad and then suddenly goes back to playing normal.

It's annoying to play a game like with random slow downs and stuttering. Yes my video card drivers are up to date, yes I tried putting the game in compatible XP mode and yes I turned off my anti virus while playing. Here are my specs, any ideas? Oh and btw, I installed AVP classic on steam and it plays silky smooth on 1920x1200 res.

Windows Vista Ultimate 64bit
Intel Core 2 Extreme 6800 2.93Ghz
Nvidia 280GTX 1GB
4GB of SLi ram
X-Fi Extreme gamer soundcard

Xhan

Xhan

Disable SLI.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

I don't have two video cards, I don't have an option where SLI can be disabled or enabled. Unless I missed something in the motherboard bios.

x-M-x

x-M-x

AVP classic  From steam, has been heavily modified..... for use on XP/Vista/7,  so that doesnt matter... the orignal AVP 99 on disc had major troubles on XP let alone vista and 7..

AVP2 on the other hand should work fine, try a smaller res and see if that helps.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

I did, it doens't work, it's stuttering in random spots and overall plays choppy. It could be my video card and the combination of Vista aswell, either way it's unplayble and I'm uninstalling it.

Thanks for the help guys.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Its not Vista, sounds to me its the drivers.... so you given up already?    :P

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

It doens't play on my rig, I'm not going to install other drivers just so I can play AVP 2 because it can conflict with other games aswell. I'm just gonna hope and pray Fox settles this copyright mess with the dam game and it get re-released like AVP classic did.

Maybe your having the same stuttering, but it doesn't bother you and your claming it's playing just fine.

x-M-x

x-M-x

The game runs fine for me, and has been for the last 9 years  :P

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Can I get your rig specs? :P

Oh and btw, I also installed the demo and everytime I try to play it says "failed to launch the game!" wow so I guess I'm just cursed with a rig that personally hates AVP 2.

x-M-x

x-M-x

Quad core
8GB RAM
XPx64
5570? (forgot the actual name)

all runs well

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

Bam! You have XP thats why it's playing great. AVP 2 is made for XP, now who hear has a Vista 64bit and claims it plays flawlessly? :P

x-M-x

x-M-x

AvP2 wasnt made for XP lol, its luck it runs on it... but look again i said i sue XPx64 not XP.... 64-bit man, and still runs smooth.

PHANTOM

PHANTOM

AVP 2 was made for "Windows 95, 98, ME, 2000 or XP" last time I checked XP means Windows XP, unless I went insane. I'm going to try one more time to get this game running correctly, every possible Nvidia settings.

So before I nuke this game to hell and go back to playing and modding AVP classic, what are your finally suggestions to try to stop it from stuttering?

x-M-x

x-M-x

Well on the orginal AvP2 box (XP) wasn't listed hehe lol,

i think its drivers related thats all i can think of at the moment,

what other advanced setting do you have enabled? (on your card i mean)

visagepoissons

visagepoissons

Quote from: PHANTOM on Jun 29, 2010, 01:59:54 AM
Bam! You have XP thats why it's playing great. AVP 2 is made for XP, now who hear has a Vista 64bit and claims it plays flawlessly? :P
I just upgraded to 7 64 bit but yeah, it ran flawlessly on my vista install.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed