Sad after watching Aliens

Started by Billiken, Dec 27, 2020, 11:03:53 PM

Author
Sad after watching Aliens (Read 12,585 times)

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2021, 05:18:54 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 02, 2021, 03:46:10 AM
But see, I never felt it was a sweet ending. Sure, Ripley and Newt are seemingly cured from PTSD having conquer/destroy their fear evokers, but theyre going back in someone elses ship with all the crew dead and wiped out side from one. Aside from barely alive Hicks, no one had made it. Again, with the ominous music playing during the credits it always has been an eerie ending for me

It was a sweet ending for the main character.  She gained a new family as her reward.

Well, Ripley and Newt found each other and were able to fill each others gaps in life and losses, but that doesnt change the fact the losses are there and their close ones are dead, as is almost everyone that came on this ship to help

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Spoiler
[close]

SM

SM

Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 02, 2021, 11:51:12 PM
Quote from: SM on Jan 02, 2021, 05:18:54 AM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Jan 02, 2021, 03:46:10 AM
But see, I never felt it was a sweet ending. Sure, Ripley and Newt are seemingly cured from PTSD having conquer/destroy their fear evokers, but theyre going back in someone elses ship with all the crew dead and wiped out side from one. Aside from barely alive Hicks, no one had made it. Again, with the ominous music playing during the credits it always has been an eerie ending for me

It was a sweet ending for the main character.  She gained a new family as her reward.

Well, Ripley and Newt found each other and were able to fill each others gaps in life and losses, but that doesnt change the fact the losses are there and their close ones are dead, as is almost everyone that came on this ship to help

The losses are fairly insignificant to Ripley.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Kradan on Jan 02, 2021, 09:41:29 PM
If Logan was Alien 3 of X-Men movies, then what was Aliens of that franchise ?

The Aliens of X-men is the same in sequence - X-men 2. It's still probably the best X-men film for me and starts to take things even more seriously than the first film did with better action sequences.

Also I don't think you can give Alien 3 treatment to Logan.

For one - we've been on a nice journey with all of those characters many times. Second - The Marvel Franchises are like comic books, you can snap shot a story or even reverse other threads.

There's no space to put Hicks and Newt in another story ( There might have been) and they aren't fantasy characters.

They dead Jim.

skhellter

skhellter

they're both big productions crafted to be edgier than the preceding entries in their series.

They're both created to be big dramatic exits for the characters that kinda made the career of their star performers.
(We all know how Weaver changed her mind on that. Hugh seems to be pretty happy with that being his last performance as wolverine).

A lot of the preceding characters die off-screen, those that get to die on-screen do so usually without any last chance at heroism, etc..

Mangold even seems to be influenced by a lot of the same films that inspired Walter Hill...

there's definitely some overlap between both films.

Necronomicon II

das it

Highland

Highland

Quote from: skhellter on Jan 03, 2021, 03:50:53 AM
they're both big productions crafted to be edgier than the preceding entries in their series.

They're both created to be big dramatic exits for the characters that kinda made the career of their star performers.
(We all know how Weaver changed her mind on that. Hugh seems to be pretty happy with that being his last performance as wolverine).

A lot of the preceding characters die off-screen, those that get to die on-screen do so usually without any last chance at heroism, etc..

Mangold even seems to be influenced by a lot of the same films that inspired Walter Hill...

there's definitely some overlap between both films.

I think the initial comparison was what film starts off killing the hero's. While Logan shares the same blue print, it doesn't just jump off the cliff after you've just been introduced to Professor X and there's no major link between Wolverine and the rest of his films other than him being the same character.

Alien 3 is a good film, but it does shit on Aliens, no two ways about it. I agree with what local said , you can still have Alien 3 with Ripley without doing the dirty on Aliens.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: Highland on Jan 03, 2021, 08:18:28 AM
Alien 3 is a good film, but it does shit on Aliens, no two ways about it. I agree with what local said , you can still have Alien 3 with Ripley without doing the dirty on Aliens.

And don't have this scene ?

no

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Someone completely missed the point of James Howlett and Charles Xavier's state of being in that last film, if you believe the journey each of them respectively endured means nothing, saving humanity four times since 1963 only to nearly perish multiple times with friends lost along the way.

Transferring your sense of self into a genetically identical body, in order to travel through time erasing three out of four past victories except for in fractured memory to ultimately prevent a dystopia, saving the world again in 1973 and 1983 only to end up in a dystopia although a slightly better dystopia indeed near the same time all over again responsible for the off film end of your surrogate family.

Within the story yes, the deaths of the titular X-Men appears to mean nothing but that's exactly the point, whether that works for you's another matter entirely but it's fundamentally connected to the other stories preceding simply presenting them in a new light.

Highland

Highland

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 03, 2021, 09:24:44 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/62/70/ee/6270ee1f87a6c6839bb2aa4858b37033.gif

Someone completely missed the point of James Howlett and Charles Xavier's state of being in that last film, if you believe the journey each of them respectively endured means nothing, saving humanity four times since 1963 only to nearly perish multiple times with friends lost along the way.

Transferring your sense of self into a genetically identical body, in order to travel through time erasing three out of four past victories except for in fractured memory to ultimately prevent a dystopia, saving the world again in 1973 and 1983 only to end up in a dystopia although a slightly better dystopia indeed near the same time all over again responsible for the off film end of your surrogate family.

Within the story yes, the deaths of the titular X-Men appears to mean nothing but that's exactly the point, whether that works for you's another matter entirely but it's fundamentally connected to the other stories preceding simply presenting them in a new light.

That's kinda my point though. Hicks and Newt go through one journey then die literally after the movie ends. Seeing Professor X die is painful, but we've shared lots of good memories with him. Hicks and Newt die because f**k it, egg on the sulaco.

They aren't similar journeys at all.

Alien 3 isnt some dramatic ending to a saga ( Again , great movie), it's shit, we ran out of ideas.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

I'm not comparing it to Professor X dying on-screen though, I'm comparing it to the X-Men dying off-screen, and all of our protagonist's hopes.

Highland

Highland

Hicks and Newt needed to die to make Alien 3, yes.

Did Hicks and Newt need to die to make a third Alien film? Not after what happened in Aliens, but shit, what do you do.

Weirdly , I've never watched or thought of the Alien movies as a trilogy. They've always been singles. I dunno why I think like that I just do lol , it's possibly because of Alien 3

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Highland on Jan 03, 2021, 09:44:55 AM
Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Jan 03, 2021, 09:24:44 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/62/70/ee/6270ee1f87a6c6839bb2aa4858b37033.gif

That's kinda my point though. Hicks and Newt go through one journey then die literally after the movie ends. Seeing Professor X die is painful, but we've shared lots of good memories with him. Hicks and Newt die because f**k it, egg on the sulaco.

They aren't similar journeys at all.

Alien 3 isnt some dramatic ending to a saga ( Again , great movie), it's shit, we ran out of ideas.

Quote from: Highland on Jan 03, 2021, 09:56:44 AM
Hicks and Newt needed to die to make Alien 3, yes.

Did Hicks and Newt need to die to make a third Alien film? Not after what happened in Aliens, but shit, what do you do.

Weirdly , I've never watched or thought of the Alien movies as a trilogy. They've always been singles. I dunno why I think like that I just do lol , it's possibly because of Alien 3

...yeah but no.

A3 doesn't really follow the same old same old ALIEN formula and plot devices that pretty much all the other Alien movies have been following to a certain degree (pick up, travel to and investigate signal; destroy ship/installation; send the Alien out the airlock into space etc.). A3, formula-wise, is arguably the most original Alien movie out of the sequels and the prequels (so far). It's probably the Alien movie that goes the most for drama and three-dimensional character delivery and development, although A:C invested a lot in that department as well, or at least intended to.

Sure, the Sulaco Egg is a glaring plot hole, and some of the creature effects are lacking, but it doesn't ruin the movie.

Again, Hicks & Newt's deaths served a meaningful purpose in A3 and the movie would not have worked with the two of them alive (I mean, the inmates would've tried to challenge and beat up Hicks any time they got the chance to, and the pedo inmates would've been plotting non-stop on how to get their hands on poor little Newt. With the two of them alive it would've been an Us (Ripley, Hicks, Newt, 85, Andrews & Clemens) vs. Them (Dillon & Co) kind of scenario).

Anywho, the sudden brutal deaths of Hicks & Newt sets the bleak, grim and unforgiving tone and mood of A3, bringing Ripley into the mental state of having nothing to lose; Fiorina Fury 161 is the purgatory and the inferno that Hicks & Newt were spared to suffer through.

Again, the most moving, poignant and hauntingly touching and brutally poetic & beautiful scene and sequence from any of the Alien movies is hands down the Funeral scene in A3. Andrew's psalm, Dillon's speach, the pain and suffering in Ripley's face, the wrapped up lifeless bodies of Hicks and Newt fallling into the moat while the dog/ox is painfully giving birth to the beast - all accompanied by Elliot Goldenthal's unbeatable score - is just something out of the ordinary. It's a masterful scene.

To me Hicks & Newts deaths in A3 brought back the cold, harsh and unforgiving reality and indifference of space and the universe. The Hollywood hero high in the last act of ALIENS was fun and all, but it had strayed too far away from the "realistic" tone set in ALIEN. A3 brought us back to "reality", so to speak.

So despite all of A3's inconsistencies and behind-the scenes production mess & studio drama, I'd say it's a flawed and deeply troubled "master piece" and the perfect end to a trilogy. I wouldn't have it any other way.
I mean, the very end of the movie when they finally shut down the prison while we get to hear Ripley's Nostromo audio recording play for the last time, alongside Goldethal's score, knowing that Ripley denied the Company their prize - even though Ripley and everyone she cared for and fought together with died (except for Jonsey and Morse) - is bittersweet and very fitting. It wraps it up perfectly if you ask me.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Agree with almost every word Brother Beagle aside from Aliena climax being too Hollywood and heroic. Thanks to not using any music during it and with the way it was shot it was anything but heroic holywood action scene. I do agree it still somewhat imo doesnt fit the rest of the film tho. The rest of Aliens till then was very gritty, very claustrophobic story centering about people that are stranded and barricaded from shadowy phantoms. To suddenly come out in a robot suit to do battle is still a little too left field in comparison to the rest of the film for me

Highland

Highland

Incredible score, incredible acting - I'll give A3 both best in the series awards for those ( although I do like Horners Aliens as my favourite).

Original though? It's probably the most like the Original of all the films and unfortunately for A3, Alien is one of the best movies ever. It is quite literally "the same old Alien formula"  except this time it doesn't really make sense and we get downbeat forced on us because our hero's just died in a shuttle crash. Crappy.

Agree with the ending though, good send off.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed