Author
First cut of Alien (Read 5,347 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 08, 2019, 10:18:35 AM
Quote from: Rankles75 on Jun 07, 2019, 11:50:01 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 07, 2019, 10:23:29 PM
Sometimes less is more.

Like the Brett death scene. Works much better when you don't see the alien dangling overhead before Brett finds Jones.

I like that scene in DC. I like to wonder: would viewers noticed if it was included in initial release back in 79?

Most wouldn't.  Which is why I dig that shot.

Huggs

Huggs

The one where it's just swinging there?

Yeah, that's a fantastic shot.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jun 08, 2019, 10:47:31 AM
Quote from: Predator@Alien on Jun 08, 2019, 09:51:33 AM
So it means that what we have on the bluray of Alien Anthology is the best that we could have ? There is no other contents elsewhere ?
There's more out there:

Behind the scenes footage from the attack on Lambert & Parker.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

And this portion of the Alien / corridor outtake that didn't make it to the Anthology set.

Spoiler
[close]

Really makes you wonder if the infamous Box Alien footage is just the crab walk and a bit of conflation.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Right. But the debate certainly keeps things interesting.

SM

SM

It's possible since the crab walk isn't in the comic.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Speaking of crab, check out this critter I met today in some research. It lives in the Solomons...

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2019, 10:13:40 PM
Quote from: Kradan on Jun 08, 2019, 10:18:35 AM
Quote from: Rankles75 on Jun 07, 2019, 11:50:01 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 07, 2019, 10:23:29 PM
Sometimes less is more.

Like the Brett death scene. Works much better when you don't see the alien dangling overhead before Brett finds Jones.

I like that scene in DC. I like to wonder: would viewers noticed if it was included in initial release back in 79?

Most wouldn't.  Which is why I dig that shot.
The take that was used in the 2003 DVD is more effective, imo. The camera pans upwards and just past the Alien, further obscuring it.
The take used for the 2010 & *2019 BDs is less so - the static camera (briefly) studies the Alien as it sways - making it a little easier to spot.

*The increased black crush for the 2019 4K version of the scene does help hide the Alien a bit more.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 08, 2019, 10:19:42 PM
Quote from: Elmazalman on Jun 08, 2019, 10:47:31 AM
Quote from: Predator@Alien on Jun 08, 2019, 09:51:33 AM
So it means that what we have on the bluray of Alien Anthology is the best that we could have ? There is no other contents elsewhere ?
There's more out there:

Behind the scenes footage from the attack on Lambert & Parker.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

And this portion of the Alien / corridor outtake that didn't make it to the Anthology set.

Spoiler
[close]

Really makes you wonder if the infamous Box Alien footage is just the crab walk and a bit of conflation.
It's possible. Perhaps the new Rinzler book will put this to rest?

Quote from: SM on Jun 08, 2019, 10:27:45 PM
It's possible since the crab walk isn't in the comic.
Neither is the tail slap to Parker - replaced by a violent facepalm. Could this have also been filmed?

rijir

rijir

I wonder what happened to all these extended screener copies?

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: rijir on Jun 09, 2019, 06:54:22 PM
I wonder what happened to all these extended screener copies?
Archived? In private collections, binned or lost to time?

I remember reading on Facebook or Twitter(?) that ALIEN's composer, Jerry Goldsmith, had a b/w copy in his possession, for music timing purposes - which contained additional footage - more Ripley & Alien corridor footage.
Ripley, on encountering the Alien in the corridor, would hide behind the wall, then peer around the wall a second time as the Alien stood up (alternate, more indulgent shot of the creature) and turned in her direction on sensing her.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

That would be worth a peek.

Rankles75

Rankles75

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 08, 2019, 10:18:32 PM

I just prefer the first ever shot of a full grown xeno to be the one where it drops down behind Brett. Just a far more impactful moment imo. I can imagine unsuspecting cinema audiences losing their shit when they saw that... :D

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: Rankles75 on Jun 10, 2019, 01:16:23 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Jun 08, 2019, 10:18:32 PM

I just prefer the first ever shot of a full grown xeno to be the one where it drops down behind Brett. Just a far more impactful moment imo. I can imagine unsuspecting cinema audiences losing their shit when they saw that... :D
The DC bonus creature shot ruins the reveal of the Alien's unusually shaped cranium, as it descends behind Brett.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

Before all the BTS photos and the DC, that shot was hard to figure out, what with parts of the creature moving upwards and parts moving downwards, behind Brett.

The Old One

The Old One

I loved that mysteriousness of it, the glimpse alone festered your imagination.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

Quote from: FenGiddel on Jun 10, 2019, 02:34:49 AM
Before all the BTS photos and the DC, that shot was hard to figure out, what with parts of the creature moving upwards and parts moving downwards, behind Brett.
Even harder when watching the 4:3 panned & scanned 1980s videotape.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed