Started by BA79, Dec 02, 2016, 12:47:42 AM

Which do you prefer? A:TV or A:DC?

Aliens theatrical version
15 (31.9%)
Aliens director's cut
32 (68.1%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author
Aliens theatrical version vs Aliens: Director's cut (Read 12,665 times)

SM

QuoteI took it for granted that each Nostromo crew member had someone to go back home to.

According to the lore, that's unlikely.  Doesn't mean their less worthy of living however.

Local Trouble

Did the topic title get changed?  I thought we were talking about all the films, not just Aliens.

Corporal Hicks

I think I prefer the Special Edition - it's the one I tend to watch most often. I enjoy all the added scenes and I do like the added depth to the Newt and Ripley relationship (despite the cliche of it). Though, I do think that the Theatrical Cut really doesn't lose anything by deleting those scenes. They're just tasty extras.

Elmazalman

Quote from: SM on Dec 02, 2016, 07:32:08 AM
QuoteI took it for granted that each Nostromo crew member had someone to go back home to.

According to the lore, that's unlikely.  Doesn't mean their less worthy of living however.
What lore? You mean the crew bio's?

426Buddy

I enjoy the directors cut a lot but... the theatrical cut is a taut, tension building machine that is perfectly paced and is the better film IMO.

SM

Quote from: Elmazalman on Dec 02, 2016, 11:36:33 AM
Quote from: SM on Dec 02, 2016, 07:32:08 AM

What lore? You mean the crew bio's?

Yeah.  There's never been any mention in any crew bio of anyone but Ripley having family on Earth.  Which generally makes sense since long haul crews are away for years at a stretch.

HuDaFuK

Special Edition.

Some of the stuff it adds is kinda redundant, and the pacing of the theatrical release is arguably better, but some of the added scene are excellent (Ripley finding out her daughter is dead adds a lot to her relationship with Newt).

Plus, to be honest, it's my favourite film ever, and more of it certainly can't hurt.

Most of all, seeing the TC at Aliens Live recently really made me realise how much I miss the SE scenes.

Local Trouble

The SE starts to lose my attention as soon as it cuts away from the inquest to the establishing shots of the colony.  So boring.

HuDaFuK

The colony scenes are arguably redundant, but in no way are they boring.

Local Trouble

YMMV, but they bore me.

HuDaFuK

They last like 4 minutes. If you attention span can't manage that...

Local Trouble

Four minutes can be an eternity.

HuDaFuK

Only if you're watching AVP:R.

Elmazalman

The pre-infestation colony scenes/Jordan family discovering the wreck are my favourite addition to the extended cut.

I quite like the vehicle design for the Jordan transport.Its good to see the return of the derelict-where the horror began 57 years earlier.

SM

Quote(Ripley finding out her daughter is dead adds a lot to her relationship with Newt).

What does it add?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed