How did Weyland-Yutani get bought out by Walmart?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jul 02, 2014, 02:50:45 AM

Author
How did Weyland-Yutani get bought out by Walmart? (Read 17,267 times)

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 30, 2014, 04:07:18 AM
I used to hate A:R, but it's grown on me over time.

Precisely why did you hate it at the time?

Xenomrph

The movie came out in 1997 so it's been... what? 17 years now? I honestly don't really remember specifically. I'm sure a big part of it was that it seemingly disrupted the EU stuff that I was pretty fond of.
I've since learned to appreciate A:R for its own merits (not to mention work around the EU thing).

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 29, 2014, 08:10:53 PM
I do hate it more than AvP.  AvP was otherwise self-contained and inconsequential.  AR salted the Earth for the franchise as far as I'm concerned.
How so? It's set 200 years after everything else. If anything, I'd think that would make it the easiest to ignore.

It means 200 years of no consequential alien stories following Alien 3.  Perez was pretty clear about that.  "The Big Deletion" is too absurd for me to accept.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 30, 2014, 04:07:18 AMI used to hate A:R, but it's grown on me over time. I like the Alien franchise partly because of how different each movie is from all the others, and A:R is no exception.

While I absolutely hate tonal inconsistency in a series like Alien.

SM

Quote"The Big Deletion" is too absurd for me to accept.

It doesn't stand up to even the most rudimentary scrutiny.

Local Trouble

What is your all-time number one best argument against it?

SM

If USM had access to everything about Ripley and the Alien and Call had access to everything about Ripley and the Alien - how big was this supposed deletion?

Local Trouble

Has that worked yet?

SM

A few make shit up to rationalise it.

Kinda like climate change sceptics.

Local Trouble

It seems an insurmountable argument to me.

SM

Quite.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 30, 2014, 05:16:56 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 29, 2014, 08:10:53 PM
I do hate it more than AvP.  AvP was otherwise self-contained and inconsequential.  AR salted the Earth for the franchise as far as I'm concerned.
How so? It's set 200 years after everything else. If anything, I'd think that would make it the easiest to ignore.

It means 200 years of no consequential alien stories following Alien 3.  Perez was pretty clear about that.  "The Big Deletion" is too absurd for me to accept.
I wasn't looking at it from a Big Deletion standpoint, I was only looking at it from the perspective of the 4 movies. Since A:R is last in the timeline (and 200 years after everything else), if you're going "movies only" it's pretty easy to just... disregard it wholesale without it impacting anything else.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 30, 2014, 05:16:56 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jul 30, 2014, 04:07:18 AMI used to hate A:R, but it's grown on me over time. I like the Alien franchise partly because of how different each movie is from all the others, and A:R is no exception.

While I absolutely hate tonal inconsistency in a series like Alien.
But... but they're all tonally different from each other. Every movie is different from any of the others. ???

Quote from: SM on Jul 30, 2014, 11:22:17 PM
If USM had access to everything about Ripley and the Alien and Call had access to everything about Ripley and the Alien - how big was this supposed deletion?
I agree that the Big Deletion is a pretty half-baked concept, but I feel it introduces enough wiggle-room to work around the apparent "contradictions" in A:R. It addresses why the Auriga had to resort to such an esoteric source as cloning someone to get a Queen, and the movie itself isn't particularly consistent with the conclusion that there was no Alien contact post-Alien3, which goes to show that the Big Deletion wasn't particularly "big", as SM said.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'd like to disregard AR and see more movies involving Weyland-Yutani and the USCM, but I'm not the one who gets to make that decision.  Fox, Joss and Jeunet gave us a 200 year time-jump and flushed the Alienverse as we knew it down the proverbial toilet with a mere few lines of dialogue.  That killed the franchise for me.

Xenomrph

I can understand that view.

To be completely fair, FOX has at least seemingly seen the error of their ways, hence retcons like "the big deletion" and the vast bulk of EU stuff happening in the 'Alien'~>'Alien3' timeframe.

Russ

Its just a shit film with shit ideas.

Looks beautiful, though....

HuDaFuK

For people who hate the idea that Walmart buy out Weyland-Yutani, Sea of Sorrows nicely assures us the company is toasting its own health long after the USM has gone the way of the dodo.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed