How did Weyland-Yutani get bought out by Walmart?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Jul 02, 2014, 02:50:45 AM

Author
How did Weyland-Yutani get bought out by Walmart? (Read 17,267 times)

SM

Quote from: Chronicle on Aug 11, 2014, 01:02:52 AM
Quote from: SM on Aug 11, 2014, 12:36:07 AM
In some instances, yes it does.

Not for me though. I think the Special Edition feels more complete. Theres just something about it that makes it slightly above the Theatrical Cut. Now yes its a 'deleted' scene but thats all in the opinion of who ever is watching the movie. Depending on your canon and taste it could very well be part of the series. Just because its labeled as a deleted scene doesn't mean I have to look at it that way.

Of course.  Fox, however, doesn't put a great deal of stock in that particular piece of dialogue in the grand scheme of things.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

We're already nine pages in and I still don't get what all the brouhaha about the Walmart issue is all about?

Companies go under or get bought out by other companies all the time. It's been 200 years since the events of Aliens after all.

Blade Runner featured Atari, Pan Am, Coca-Cola, Cuisinart and a lot of other real-world-contemporary companies and no-one complained about them.
No-one complained about Cameron's fictional Hyperdyne Systems or Creative Assembly's Seegson Company. So what did Mr. Sam Walton do wrong?

Local Trouble

SM

QuoteWe're already nine pages in and I still don't get what all the brouhaha about the Walmart issue is all about?

It is an endless quest of one man to explain the irrelevant.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 11, 2014, 01:00:04 PM
We're already nine pages in and I still don't get what all the brouhaha about the Walmart issue is all about?

Companies go under or get bought out by other companies all the time. It's been 200 years since the events of Aliens after all.

Blade Runner featured Atari, Pan Am, Coca-Cola, Cuisinart and a lot of other real-world-contemporary companies and no-one complained about them.
No-one complained about Cameron's fictional Hyperdyne Systems or Creative Assembly's Seegson Company. So what did Mr. Sam Walton do wrong?

If I were going to write that Weyland-Yutani had been bought by a contemporary megacorporation, I'd have gone with General Dynamics or Exxon.  The choice of Walmart (which is known primarily for its trashy discount superstores) was just Whedon being a smartass. 

That line would have fit perfectly in the MCU, but not the Alienverse.  Maybe that makes me a grumpy old fart, but I don't really give a shit.  AR sucked all the gravitas out of the series for me.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 12, 2014, 05:26:02 PM
If I were going to write that Weyland-Yutani had been bought by a contemporary megacorporation, I'd have gone with General Dynamics or Exxon.  The choice of Walmart (which is known primarily for its trashy discount superstores) was just Whedon being a smartass. 

Could also be that Whedon went for Walmart purely because it is the largest (ranked by revenue) company in the world. Possibly being the only multinational with enough capital to do a WY buyout.

Quote from: SM on Aug 11, 2014, 10:20:16 PM
QuoteWe're already nine pages in and I still don't get what all the brouhaha about the Walmart issue is all about?

It is an endless quest of one man to explain the irrelevant.

Janek

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Aug 07, 2014, 12:47:57 PM
Even with all of it's miracle science, Resurrection still made more sense than ACM. I mean, if Weyland-Yutani have hundreds of Aliens running around at their research facility on LV-426, why do they give two shits about getting to Ripley on Fiorina 161? Even if they did send a team after her (for shits and giggles), when she offed herself Bishop II would just be like, "Meh." But he's clearly devastated that he's just lost his only chance to recover a Xenomorph.

Hell, even forgetting the movies entirely, ACM didn't even make sense in the context of itself...

Completely agree, how the f**k did the writers of ACM get the green light on the storyline from Fox? The sooner we get ACM retconned the better, A:R I can live with. Maybe they(Fox) just thought it did not really matter because no one is going to be taking the game seriously in regards of canon?

SM

It was considered canon up until around five minutes after it was released.

Janek

Quote from: SM on Apr 24, 2020, 12:07:07 PM
It was considered canon up until around five minutes after it was released.

Haha thanks for that SM, I am currently browsing your Alien timeline webpage. It is very informative and gives a good explanation on all the events in the Alien universe. Wish I had discovered it sooner.

Local Trouble

That was a great thread.  Strong work all around.

Janek

Quote from: Local Trouble on Apr 24, 2020, 04:49:20 PM
That was a great thread.  Strong work all around.

Definitely, had a blast reading through it! This forum has many hidden old gems.

razeak

I'm with Local on this one. It's just more eyeroll dialog from Whedon lol. Cool necrothread though

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed