Prometheus Box Office

Started by Spidey3121, Jun 02, 2012, 03:20:19 AM

Author
Prometheus Box Office (Read 152,567 times)

Gash

Gash

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Jun 29, 2012, 06:42:01 PM
Quote from: BLAIN on Jun 29, 2012, 02:08:27 AM
$1.1 million yesterday, for 4th place. Making about a million a day now. Hopefully that can continue for a little while, even during the Spiderman attack.

Not a chance. Spider Man is gonna rip into every other film.

Spiderman won't be getting my money. How many times can they make that? A double dose of the trailers for it before Prometheus was more than enough.

Gazz

Gazz

Same here. Got the normal Spider-Man trailer and then a 5-6 minute trailer with complete scenes from the film before my showing of Prometheus. I'll be going to see it at some point but pretty much everything about the film has been ruined by terrible advertising.

Game_Over_Man

Game_Over_Man

Haven't all of the Alien films fared better internationally anyway?

$300m + with BluRay/DVD to come is pretty good going.

I'm actually wondering whether the greater story of Prometheus might have been better suited to a TV series...

PRI. HUDSON

PRI. HUDSON

Fox probably hoped for more than $300 million worldwide. Personally, the bogus R-rating cost Prometheus. I think since it was R, and a sci-fi movie, $300 million worldwide isn't awful.

Gazz

Gazz

So we're looking at close to $280 by the end of the weekend.

As next weekend is a holiday weekend it should provide a little boost meaning a smaller drop but it's seriously bowing out of theatres now. It can see it ending up at around $125 million domestic ($130 at a real push).

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Brave is out, Ted is out, and The Amazing Spider-Man is coming next week, I think. I wouldn't expect very much more from Prometheus, to be brutally honest.

zuzuki

zuzuki

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Jun 30, 2012, 08:14:43 AM
Fox probably hoped for more than $300 million worldwide. Personally, the bogus R-rating cost Prometheus. I think since it was R, and a sci-fi movie, $300 million worldwide isn't awful.
I don't think so. I understand why Ridley wanted to make it a pg13. With all the teen audience it would have easily added another 100 or 200 million to the us boxoffice.But 300 million in this run plus a little bit extra when the other markets will have it's pretty sweet for a r rated movie

Gazz

Gazz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 30, 2012, 05:52:52 PM
Brave is out, Ted is out, and The Amazing Spider-Man is coming next week, I think. I wouldn't expect very much more from Prometheus, to be brutally honest.

No, but it'll probably coast on dregs for a while and the holiday weekend should ensure a $2.5-$3 million weekend. I can't see it doing much over $125 but I guess it depends on how long it keeps taking in the dregs.

SuicideDoors

SuicideDoors

Quote from: zuzuki on Jun 30, 2012, 06:05:49 PM
Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Jun 30, 2012, 08:14:43 AM
I don't think so. I understand why Ridley wanted to make it a pg13. With all the teen audience it would have easily added another 100 or 200 million to the us boxoffice.But 300 million in this run plus a little bit extra when the other markets will have it's pretty sweet for a r rated movie

It really wouldn't have.

Prime113

Prime113

Made $1,350,000 on Friday at 9th place.  :(

Probably headed towards at 5-6 million dollar weekend.

Gazz

Gazz

$2.1 million Saturday. Deadline tentatively have it on to make $5.1 million for 7th place which would put it $1 million below Abe Lincoln in it's second weekend. Big ouch for that film.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Well if a sequel is made it will mostly be shot for a PG-13 first and foremost.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

I'm not surprise that it drop to #7 since we didn't had many people see the movie on Friday night at my theater. The movie should be gone in the Top 10 in another two weeks.

Gazz

Gazz

Wow, so it's at $284 million WW at this point. That's $4 million over what I thought it would do. Another week and a half should see it over $300 million with key territories yet to come.

Also $36 million in the UK alone. I wonder if it'll break over $40.

Vertigo

Vertigo

Quote from: Gazz on Jul 01, 2012, 10:10:15 PM
Wow, so it's at $284 million WW at this point. That's $4 million over what I thought it would do. Another week and a half should see it over $300 million with key territories yet to come.

Also $36 million in the UK alone. I wonder if it'll break over $40.

It'd be one hell of a struggle, it's been out for a month now.

The film's made an eye-widening chunk of change though, despite having a number of major factors stacked against it (not least the extremely mixed critical response; however I'm not convinced the rating is that big a factor).
It's interesting to note that Ridley Scott films tend to perform reasonably well despite an increasingly patchy critical track record, even notoriously dire Robin Hood made $321m (from a baffling $200m budget). Looks like Prometheus will perform roughly on a par with Ridley's other recent tentpoles, it's still got a few major markets yet to open (what genius decided Italy needs to wait till October?).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed