Ridley Scott sez "Prometheus 2 gets away from Gods and Dragons".

Started by Blacklabel, Nov 19, 2014, 05:07:47 AM

Author
Ridley Scott sez "Prometheus 2 gets away from Gods and Dragons". (Read 55,169 times)

saintssinphony

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2014, 12:44:30 AM
I immediately wondered if he was referring to Game of Thrones too.  Then I wondered if he was thinking about The Hobbit.  ;D

Next time Ridley sees Benedict Cumberbatch he is going to punch him in the balls and say "stay away you bloody dragon or so help me I'll kick your ass back to the Lonely Mountain"

SM

QuoteContinuity is another factor, the level of technology onboard the Prometheus is nonexistent anywhere else in the Alien franchise; Ridley Scott could have followed the design of his own film and at least kept things lo-tech but apparently he doesn't like looking back on Alien (which every single Alien sequel actually bothered to do). 

Battered old tug vs. Company flagship.

QuoteAlso, if Wey-Yu discovered Engineers before the first Alien film then why haven't they utilized that knowledge by now?  How have they all managed to keep the Engineer's existence a secret?

Potential sequels aside, what existence?  They found a head that they momentarily reanimated and a single living being - who was dead not long after waking up.  Everyone on the mission was killed, bar Shaw and David whose whereabouts are currently unknown.  Presumably there were no other living Engineers on the ship they left in.  It's entirely likely that all the other Engineers on LV-223 were the bodies Millburn and Fifield found.

QuoteI'm sure you'll find all sorts of fan explanations on how this was done by die-hard fans but ironically enough you won't find one of these fans willing to explain how the US government and Yutani Corp managed to do the exact same thing with the events of AVPR. 

It's not irony to not want to try and explain a shit movie.

QuoteDoing so would require Ridley Scott and Damon Lindelof to look back on the Deacon and both made it pretty clear that the Deacon is dust behind them.

When did they make this clear?  Lindelof isn't even involved in the next film.

Quotefiefiled origianlly was gonna look more alien and charlie didnt have enough time to change not to say that they would not explode later on.

I'm just going by what Ridley said on the blu-ray.  Lots of stuff was constantly evolving throughout production obviously.

QuoteThe hammerpedes came from just worms comming into contact with goo and became very alien like.

How Alien-like?  We don't know anything about those worms to begin with to make an accurate judgement.

predxeno

QuoteBattered old tug vs. Company flagship.

Actually, lets compare 50+ year old Prometheus ship vs. up-to-date atmosphere processor.  The schematic table the Aliens team were looking at in the film wasn't holographic.  For a company whose #1 money-maker is "Building Better Worlds", one would think these stations would get all the appropriate materials they needed, especially if its' 50+ years old.

It's not irony to not want to try and explain a shit movie.

It's hypocrisy if one turns one's head for one movie and not the other based solely on preference.

When did they make this clear?  Lindelof isn't even involved in the next film.

Lindelof said it in an interview earlier, regardless Ridley still doesn't want his new film to feature any designs based on the original Alien so we're kissing the Deacon goodbye either way.

Space7Horror

Did he say that on the commentary of the film?
They looked like a fuse of a facehugger and chestburster, and had acid for blood. Where did the worms even come from if they evolved on the planet wouldent they look a little different from earth worms?

predxeno

No, I listened to the commentary and I would've remembered if Ridley said all people infected with the black goo would have their heads exploded.

saintssinphony

I'll say this to the look of the different types of tech in alien films.  I'm an electrician and I have done work in brand new up to date waste water plants and even power plants but all that stuff still looks "old" and "industrial" compared to say the new Apple store or compared to all the gadgets on a new car.  I find look and feel of stuff doesn't account for how it functions actually.  Technology that looks old is the tech that supplies infrastructure for society but the new future looking crap is only for play and to look fancy or cool. 

I'm not trying to side with anyone but this is what I see in reality so just putting that out there.

predxeno

That's a good point, I think SiL also brought up a similar point regarding nukes being controlled by floppy disk computers but I don't think these examples are comparable with Prometheus's tech.  A lot of tech onboard the Prometheus would have paved the way to giant advances in the Aliens world, plus new planets are terraformed every year so reliance on old terraformers are impossible since it would be quite impractical to dismantle them after every terraforming operation to be transported to a different planet.  It would be much more cost-efficient simply to build new terraformers on new planets and as I said before, terraforming is Wey-Yu's #1 money-maker so giving them the most up-to-date tech to speed up their job would be the better idea than giving them tech over 50 years old to work with.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 20, 2014, 01:08:04 AM
No, I listened to the commentary and I would've remembered if Ridley said all people infected with the black goo would have their heads exploded.

Was Neville Page (one of the designer), when he was trying to explain why they chose the zombie fifield over the mutant monster. He said that the same thing that happened to the Engineer's head was happening with fifield.

saintssinphony

Quote from: predxeno on Nov 20, 2014, 01:19:26 AM
That's a good point, I think SiL also brought up a similar point regarding nukes being controlled by floppy disk computers but I don't think these examples are comparable with Prometheus's tech.  A lot of tech onboard the Prometheus would have paved the way to giant advances in the Aliens world, plus new planets are terraformed every year so reliance on old terraformers are impossible since it would be quite impractical to dismantle them after every terraforming operation to be transported to a different planet.  It would be much more cost-efficient simply to build new terraformers on new planets and as I said before, terraforming is Wey-Yu's #1 money-maker so giving them the most up-to-date tech to speed up their job would be the better idea than giving them tech over 50 years old to work with.

Yes, I've seen that too about the power plants having effin floppy disk drives.  These nuclear power plants and most other infrastructure uses a SCATA communication network which is nothing more than radio waves like a CB radio would use.  Not the most secure I can say. 

I see a thing in a lot of movies and the thing is the art department or whoever designs these things comes up with stuff and probably just shows them to a couple of people who give it the OK and don't even think about it as deep as we do.  They have lots of money tied up in a film so even if there was tech that seemed out of context maybe they didn't have the time or money to change it or something just kind of happened and now it's filmed so there's not much can be done. 
Remember when the Phantom Menace came out and it looked so clean compared to the original star wars?  I was so pissed at that and complained to lots of people and this dude that did a some art concepts kind of explained it so it made sense.  He said it's cheaper and faster to make something original than try and recreate something that was done years upon years ago and try to mimic it.  So I took him at his word and he explained a bit more how design goes and it made me understand it a bit better.

SM

QuoteDid he say that on the commentary of the film?

In Furious Gods if memory serves.  But ideas evolved constantly during production obviously.

QuoteThey looked like a fuse of a facehugger and chestburster, and had acid for blood.

I'll pay you the acid blood.  The other stuff not so much.

QuoteWhere did the worms even come from if they evolved on the planet wouldent they look a little different from earth worms?

I'd say they looked a lot different.

QuoteActually, lets compare 50+ year old Prometheus ship vs. up-to-date atmosphere processor.

Why compare a brand new Company flagship with nice big staterooms and executive suites to a 20 year old AP Station, that, being totally automated, requires little human interaction, let alone occupancy.  It should've had a jacuzzi and cable TV or something?

QuoteThe schematic table the Aliens team were looking at in the film wasn't holographic.

Indeed.  It might've helped them, but it still did the job and while Prometheus had a holographic table - it had way, WAY more 2D screens all over the place.

QuoteFor a company whose #1 money-maker is "Building Better Worlds", one would think these stations would get all the appropriate materials they needed, especially if its' 50+ years old.

1) It's never stated that terraforming is the Company's "#1 money-maker" in 2179.  And some of the info on the Weyland website is a tad dubious.
2) Hadley was a small colony on a small planet in the middle of nowhere, and they had appropriate materials.

QuoteIt's hypocrisy if one turns one's head for one movie and not the other based solely on preference.

Why is it hypocrisy?

QuoteLindelof said it in an interview earlier, regardless Ridley still doesn't want his new film to feature any designs based on the original Alien so we're kissing the Deacon goodbye either way.

When did he say this?  And I still wouldn't bet money that a Deacon doesn't show up at some point.

QuoteRemember when the Phantom Menace came out and it looked so clean compared to the original star wars?

You mean how the ships all looked brand new - because they were effectively brand new and hadn't been flying around constantly being repaired after years of war?

predxeno

QuoteIndeed.  It might've helped them, but it still did the job and while Prometheus had a holographic table - it had way, WAY more 2D screens all over the place.

Technically, we can still use Windows XP today but people upgrade their technology whenever they can, and as I said earlier it doesn't make sense to not install new technology in new stations, especially if it's cheap as f**k.

Quote1) It's never stated that terraforming is the Company's "#1 money-maker" in 2179.  And some of the info on the Weyland website is a tad dubious.
2) Hadley was a small colony on a small planet in the middle of nowhere, and they had appropriate materials.

It's been stated many times in the EU that terraforming is their #1 moneymaker, also their logo is literally "Building Better Worlds", what does that say?

QuoteWhy is it hypocrisy?

*Nervous laughter* You're kidding, right?

QuoteWhen did he say this?  And I still wouldn't bet money that a Deacon doesn't show up at some point.

"Asked whether a sequel would be a direct prequel to Alien, Lindelof said: "If we're fortunate enough to do a sequel ... it will tangentialize even further away from the original Alien.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus_(2012_film)

Godzillakuj94

So no Deacon? That's a shame, wanted to see what he could grow up into.

SM

QuoteTechnically, we can still use Windows XP today but people upgrade their technology whenever they can, and as I said earlier it doesn't make sense to not install new technology in new stations, especially if it's cheap as f**k.

Assuming it is "cheap as f**k".

QuoteIt's been stated many times in the EU that terraforming is their #1 moneymaker,

Assuming the EU is relevant for a moment - when?

Quotealso their logo is literally "Building Better Worlds", what does that say?

Didn't see that logo all over the Nostromo or Fiorina.  What does that say?

Quote*Nervous laughter* You're kidding, right?

No.  You got 'irony' wrong.  I'd like to know if you can really deliver on 'hypocrisy'.

Quote"Asked whether a sequel would be a direct prequel to Alien, Lindelof said: "If we're fortunate enough to do a sequel ... it will tangentialize even further away from the original Alien.""

So, this "Ridley still doesn't want his new film to feature any designs based on the original Alien so we're kissing the Deacon goodbye either way" is made up?

predxeno

predxeno

QuoteAssuming it is "cheap as f**k".

Technology over 50 years old is cheap as f**k, trust me. ;)

QuoteAssuming the EU is relevant for a moment - when?

It may have been Sea of Sorrows.

QuoteDidn't see that logo all over the Nostromo or Fiorina.  What does that say?

We can't include Alien cause the company was called Weylan-Yutani and is an obvious discontinuity error, and I don't recall seeing the Weyland-Yutani logo at all in Alien 3.  I do know that it was featured in Aliens, though:

QuoteNo.  You got 'irony' wrong.  I'd like to know if you can really deliver on 'hypocrisy'.

I doubt I got anything wrong, but I do think it is fair to say that someone is being quite hypocritical when he claims one film should be banned from canon because it has continuity errors, but is then more lenient toward another film with the exact same problems simply because he likes it better.

QuoteSo, this "Ridley still doesn't want his new film to feature any designs based on the original Alien so we're kissing the Deacon goodbye either way" is made up?

Read the News section of this site.

SM

QuoteWe can't include Alien cause the company was called Weylan-Yutani and is an obvious discontinuity error, and I don't recall seeing the Weyland-Yutani logo at all in Alien 3.  I do know that it was featured in Aliens, though:

So a logo with that motto in a terraforming colony somehow equates to it the Company's number 1 money earner?

Quotedoubt I got anything wrong, but I do think it is fair to say that someone is being quite hypocritical when he claims one film should be banned from canon because it has continuity errors, but is then more lenient toward another film with the exact same problems simply because he likes it better.

Is anyone doing such a thing?

QuoteRead the News section of this site.

I did.  Nothing in there conclusively discounts the presence of a Deacon.  Just says there'll be new different looking monsters.  The two aren't mutually exclusive.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed