Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus, Giger, Beginning of Man and Original Alien

Started by Darkoo, Dec 17, 2011, 02:26:48 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus, Giger, Beginning of Man and Original Alien (Read 106,641 times)

Dogme

Dogme

I don't f****** care what is in the film as long as it's worth watching! I also don't want to know before hand what I am going to see either. Ridley is being very vague about things and also misleading which is fine by me :) AS long as ALF the alien doesn't turn up I'm ok.

Actually, I'm thinking of setting a date of New Years Day to ignore all threads to do with Prometheus. Spoiler territory is fast approaching, and I'd rather not be here when it arrives :)

psychonaut25

Quote from: Dogme on Dec 19, 2011, 12:16:13 PM
I don't f****** care what is in the film as long as it's worth watching! I also don't want to know before hand what I am going to see either. Ridley is being very vague about things and also misleading which is fine by me :) AS long as ALF the alien doesn't turn up I'm ok.

Actually, I'm thinking of setting a date of New Years Day to ignore all threads to do with Prometheus. Spoiler territory is fast approaching, and I'd rather not be here when it arrives :)

I have a feeling that by the time the movie will be released , all "true" spoilers turns out to be false....

ryanjayhawk

ryanjayhawk

I guess I'm sort of confused with people desperately trying to hold on to the original Alien in this movie?  Yes I think at some point it would be fascinating to focus on the Engineers when they decided to create the Xenomorph... but you cant go from "A" to "C".  This movie will answer who the Engineer/Space Jockey is/was/etc.  It's only fair that after 30+ years it get's it's own stand alone background story.  When I look at Hollywood sometimes when people try to bite off more than they can chew, or more than can be conveyed in one movie... well things get muddled up.  Better to focus on the Jockey build a grand mythos, then set up for a sequel which depending on Prometheus' success will be almost inevitable and see where it goes.

We know there is a creature in this movie... get excited for that instead of if its the Alien you know.  Just like artists often create their work in a similar style the creature we are introduced too, maybe run in the same style of the Xenomoprh?

ThisBethesdaSea

Well said Ryan,

I'm a little daunted myself as to why people are desperate to see the original Alien in Prometheus and not let it breath and have its own life. I get the nostalgia bit, I do, but I'd just want a great original film set in the same universe. I think that's what's gonna be happening.

psychonaut25

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Dec 19, 2011, 02:25:25 PM
Well said Ryan,

I'm a little daunted myself as to why people are desperate to see the original Alien in Prometheus and not let it breath and have its own life. I get the nostalgia bit, I do, but I'd just want a great original film set in the same universe. I think that's what's gonna be happening.

History is repeating. In Alien in 1979 people witnessed all new original never before seen creature. Now in Prometheus we will see something original again, and after it it will live it's own life like Alien did.

Darth Vile

Quote from: Space_Dementia on Dec 19, 2011, 12:41:34 AM
Aliens is such a classic movie, im sure its more popular that the first movie...to abandoned what Cameron created would be harsh...I love Cameron and his story telling and film making...as far as i know Scott actually liked the 2nd movie, they just never really answered the question about the crashed Jockey in the original...

I'm sure Scott has approached Prometheus with the same level of abandonment that Cameron did with Aliens. I don't think it's a problem... it's a good way of coming up with some modicum of originality and standalone/self contained story telling.

Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 19, 2011, 01:15:39 AM
I understand but it's now certain that there will be no Xeno, no xeno means also no xeno origins neither.
I mean we are not going to see a facehugger in those last 8 minutes no?
That would contradict what Scott said.
I wouldn't say that at all. I think the new movie will almost certainly cover the origins of the 'Xeno' without ever showing it (in the form we know and love) directly.     

Quote from: Gash on Dec 19, 2011, 11:08:34 AM
Well, it's probably FOX insisting that it's played down as an   A  L  I  E  N   film for fear of false marketing. Yes, we all know that if the SJ is there then it's obviously all part of the same thing, but FOX, being full of daft execs who think that sequels/prequels exist to retread the old formula and satisfy expected parameters are probably a bit nervous about stating it's an  A  L  I   E  N  prequel, minus the regular alien.
I think it's far more probable that it's Scott who has tried to underplay the Alien connections rather than FOX. FOX have everything to gain if they get millions of punters lining up to see a new Alien movie by Ridley Scott (regardless of Xeno content). Scott does have a reputation that, I'm sure, he wants to maintain. He has a filmmaker's ego in that he wants his name associated with something new/credible rather than movie No. 7 in a movie franchise... Of course whether it turns out to be a good movie in its own right remains to be seen.

Agreed. I'd rather have a good movie without a 'Xeno' than a bad movie with them. I'd rather have a movie with a progressive narrative and style, and fall short/dissapoint mass audiences, than a movie just re-treading the same ole same ole to galvanise the masses.

Billy_mx

Has anyone even thught that if the Xenomorph didn't exist before PROMETHEUS, then everything Genious Paul and the AVP movies were will be completely negated?

Dogme

Well said Ryan,

I don't understand why people want to see the original alien again as well. If someone wants to see THE alien in a film again, why don't they just watch the original ALIEN. There, problem solved :)

ryanjayhawk

Quote from: Billy_mx on Dec 19, 2011, 07:33:45 PM
Has anyone even thught that if the Xenomorph didn't exist before PROMETHEUS, then everything Genious Paul and the AVP movies were will be completely negated?

Yes theoretically it would indeed negate those movies (which I don't think most consider canon but rather a seperate saga).  However the Aliens may exist in this movie but may just not be addressed.

psychonaut25

Quote from: ryanjayhawk on Dec 19, 2011, 07:57:37 PM
Quote from: Billy_mx on Dec 19, 2011, 07:33:45 PM

Yes theoretically it would indeed negate those movies (which I don't think most consider canon but rather a seperate saga).  However the Aliens may exist in this movie but may just not be addressed.

Prometheus is tied, if it's possible to say it so, to Alien, not to other movies.

Kimarhi

If prometheus is tied to alien, which it is because of the SJ involvement, then it would be tied to the rest of the Alien series.  If the events in Prometheus lead to the creation of the Alien, and that contradicts AvP.  Then f**k AvP.

chrisr232007

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 19, 2011, 11:29:03 PM
If prometheus is tied to alien, which it is because of the SJ involvement, then it would be tied to the rest of the Alien series.  If the events in Prometheus lead to the creation of the Alien, and that contradicts AvP.  Then f**k AvP.

Please please let this happen......

ElderPredator

I've been away for a while, but who is this engineer everyone is talking about?

Xenomorphine

Quote from: robbritton on Dec 19, 2011, 09:18:34 AM
I think Scott has got himself overly tied up in smeantics and pedantry on this one. If you've made a film that features the space jockeys, then it is an Alien film. It doesn't need to feature the xenomorph itself, it's still an Alien film as it is based upon a fictitious construct from those films. That's all there is to it. Whether it features xenomorphs or not, Prometheus is an Alien film. ALl this dancing about the issue by the makers is really tedious - it's like doing a film about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and going, "ooh, but it isn't a Ghostbusters film because they're not in it themselves".

Everyone knows, Ridders. Relax.

Agreed!

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 19, 2011, 11:29:03 PM
If prometheus is tied to alien, which it is because of the SJ involvement, then it would be tied to the rest of the Alien series.  If the events in Prometheus lead to the creation of the Alien, and that contradicts AvP. Then f**k AvP.

How would it contradict AVP?

Kol

Quote from: ElderPredator on Dec 20, 2011, 01:37:45 AM
I've been away for a while, but who is this engineer everyone is talking about?

belive me: nobody knows it. just a nick-name everybody is throwing with.
that's mythology.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed