Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus, Giger, Beginning of Man and Original Alien

Started by Darkoo, Dec 17, 2011, 02:26:48 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus, Giger, Beginning of Man and Original Alien (Read 107,316 times)

psychonaut25

Quote from: Space_Dementia on Dec 19, 2011, 12:41:34 AM
Aliens is such a classic movie, im sure its more popular that the first movie...to abandoned what Cameron created would be harsh...I love Cameron and his story telling and film making...as far as i know Scott actually liked the 2nd movie, they just never really answered the question about the crashed Jockey in the original...

I really hope this movie doesnt exclude the other movies...Yes ill prob love this movie because its Scott returning to science fiction, and lets be honest we haven't really had a sci-fi movie like Blade Runner since...well, Blade Runner.
Blade Runner = untouchable classic of the classics

Engineer1

The movie has no xenos and deals with the Engineers race.
So why would it have to aknowledge anything that happened in ALIEN sequels?
None of the sequels took place in the part of the universe PROMETHEUS is gonna touch nor includes the Engineer race neither.
PROMETHEUS is going its own way, a new mythology based on unexplored parts of ALIEN.
I don't need and there will be probably no nod to any other film of the franchise.
Ignoring them doesnt make them bad, or mean that Scott don't respect them, he's doing his thing.

Space_Dementia

Quote from: Engineer1 on Dec 19, 2011, 12:48:12 AM
None of the sequels took place in the part of the universe PROMETHEUS is gonna touch nor includes the Engineer race neither.
PROMETHEUS is going its own way, a new mythology based on unexplored parts of ALIEN.
I don't need and there will be probably no nod to any other film of the franchise.
Ignoring them doesnt make them bad, or mean that Scott don't respect them, he's doing his thing.

The space Jokey is in the movie, so yeah the original movie is acknowledged in this movie, and in the last 8 minutes of the movie we may be introduced to the genesis/origins of the Alien.

AndroidDavid

Some people want to see the xenomorph, plain and simple. Just opinions and preferences formed over the years of being a fan of Alien :) 
i wouldnt be completely let down if there isnt a xenomorph, but let's just say I'd be more ecstatic if there is one

Mr. Clemens

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: 180924609 on Dec 18, 2011, 10:48:15 PM
Quote from: Mr. Clemens on Dec 18, 2011, 09:41:07 PM
Quote from: SHREK on Dec 18, 2011, 06:35:42 PM
No aliens, then theres not much point this movie being put on an alien/predator site... no? regardles.. not very interested to see the movie now, so cya guys.

Man, posts like this make me happy. If enough of these types stop going to the movies, Hollywood may be forced to start making intelligent films for the rest of us!

What? So a movie that is promoting the ideas of 'Intelligent Design' is an intelligent film is it? I bet you love Tom Cruise.

I.D. is an insult to all science, mathematics, and intelligent thought beyond common sense. Ridley might as well have made a movie about Tinkerbell and the Xenomorphs.

Not sure where you got that angle from, but you're putting words in my mouth. I said that if the person I quoted is going to skip this film because it doesn't have a traditional Alien in it, then I'm happy to see him go.

He can watch Requiem. I'm gonna watch Prometheus.

(And for the record, with the assistance of some magic mushrooms, a 'Tinkerbell and the Xenomorphs' movie could be pretty kick-ass.  :laugh:)

zuzuki

because the only contact humans had with the space jcokey was on lv 426.aliens is set 50+ years after alien and still the only way to get a xeno was to settle a human colony on the planet,but it got destroyed. after that came a:r hundreds of years after that and the only way to get a xeno was to clone ripley.

in conclusion they can present in this movie whatever they want,but this is got to be the only time humans actually interact with the space jockey and his culture.or if they plan a sequel,it has to take place before the first alien.whatever the case the only thing they can do is either have a survivor from the events in prometheus ,or or the possible  sequel, to get back on earth and tell the story so they can later programe ash and give him his directive. or no one in prometheus survives and they only get to send some kind of message home. but if lindelof said he hopes for a sequel,either someone survives and go home,or we get to see another adventure,expedition taking place.hopefully bedore the events in alien. i hope they will respect this because at the end of the day it is still a fox franchise
these are my only concerns with this movie.other than that i don't really care how will the aliens look,what they find on the planet,differences of style between the first alien and prometheus regarding how the alien and human tehnology look

Not sure where you got that angle from, but you're putting words in my mouth. I said that if the person I quoted is going to skip this film because it doesn't have a traditional Alien in it, then I'm happy to see him go.

He can watch Requiem. I'm gonna watch Prometheus.

(And for the record, with the assistance of some magic mushrooms, a 'Tinkerbell and the Xenomorphs' movie could be pretty kick-ass.  )

Fair enough ;).  I'm going to watch Prometheus too.

But that doesnt mean I have to like it.

Engineer1

Engineer1

I understand but it's now certain that there will be no Xeno, no xeno means also no xeno origins neither.
I mean we are not going to see a facehugger in those last 8 minutes no?
That would contradict what Scott said.

A sequel to PROMETHEUS that takes place in the same universe as the ALIEN sequel could be possible.
Ripley drifted for 57 yeras without being found and could have drifted even more.
I think that  a whole lot of PROMETHEUS and its sequel can happen in the ALIEN universe without having to be in contact.
Maybe the characters or survivors of PROMETHEUS will be sent or find themselves in a afr off galaxy unexplored by humans, or maybe the survivors will have a reason to stay low in the ALIEN universe.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Space_Dementia on Dec 19, 2011, 12:53:34 AMThe space Jokey is in the movie, so yeah the original movie is acknowledged in this movie, and in the last 8 minutes of the movie we may be introduced to the genesis/origins of the Alien.

Yes, it is more than just a passing reference. The impetus for the story seems to be that if the first alien was so damn hideous, who could possibly be responsible for creating them? The alien is spoken for; we don't really need to know anything more about it, other than who created it and why. It's the perfect angle for a new film IMO.

-Chris

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: 180924609 on Dec 18, 2011, 10:48:15 PM
What? So a movie that is promoting the ideas of 'Intelligent Design' is an intelligent film is it? I bet you love Tom Cruise.

I.D. is an insult to all science, mathematics, and intelligent thought beyond common sense. Ridley might as well have made a movie about Tinkerbell and the Xenomorphs.

With respect, this is a ridiculous over-reaction... Ye gods, Hawking loved one of the most bizarre and psychedelic science-fiction franchises in existence, so much so that he got a cameo in it - 'Star Trek'! Was he over-analysing it and tutting and shaking his head at it portraying a literally omniscient species or was he, like all the rest of us, happy to just sit back and enjoy John De Lancie's awesome portrayal of Q? Because I'm betting it's the latter. :)

And Dawkins went and married a 'Doctor Who' companion actress and did a cameo in that, too! In one of its most ridiculous stories yet! Should we all ridicule him, too and declare, "HOW DARE YOU?!"

Science-fiction is one of the most tremendously visionary mediums in existence. Just look at your involvement, right now. You're posting in a forum in tribute to films which revolve around a creature which can grow from the size of a snake to over eight feet tall in less than 24 hours without apparently eating anything. It's a little late to start lamenting some sort of over-arcing 100% scientifically explained validity, isn't it? ;)

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the ET interventionist hypothesis. It's got nothing to do with religion. If anything, you could say it's a thoroughly scientific way of looking at our origins, since its whole basis is one of genetic tampering to manipulate our natural evolution.

Now, if it's portrayed in a ridiculous manner, then fair enough. But putting it in a science-fiction epic is a perfectly suitable medium for exploring that as a springboard for an adventure story.

Because it's intended to be a part of the same continuity.

QuoteNone of the sequels took place in the part of the universe PROMETHEUS is gonna touch nor includes the Engineer race neither.

False.

QuotePROMETHEUS is going its own way, a new mythology based on unexplored parts of ALIEN.

None of which negates the sequels. They're only 'ignored' if contradicted and there's zero reason to do that.

Kimarhi

I've been away for a minute and am to lazy to read through this entire thread and others to see what is going on, but I would think that having read the interview if the SJ is indeed carrying a ship full of weapons by the time Alien starts, and those weapons being the Aliens themselves, that he would have some sort of other bitey monster that is a precursor to the thing we all know and love in the original series in the "prequel".

As long as there is indeed a creature that is malevolent to the crew running amok and causing havoc I'm good.  What I don't want is some sort of Stargate/2001 crossover.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 19, 2011, 01:53:09 AMThere's absolutely nothing wrong with the ET interventionist hypothesis. It's got nothing to do with religion.

I agree that there is nothing wrong with it in science fiction, even in scientific theoretical thought. Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov (among many others) have explored these ideas, and they were both very scientifically minded authors. I guess it depends on what each person considers plausible in there own mind. Arthur C. Clarke certainly thought that it was plausible that an alien species intervened in human evolution, and he surely understood more about human history and the science of evolution than most of us here.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Dec 19, 2011, 02:28:14 AMWhat I don't want is some sort of Stargate/2001 crossover.

Similarities to 2001 I have no problems with. Stargate? Eeesh.

-Chris

Kol

Quote from: Space_Dementia on Dec 18, 2011, 11:29:46 PM
Am I the only one worried here that this movie might actually dismiss Aliens, Alien 3 and A:R??? From what ive read in this interview, it looks like the Alien sequels will be ignored...which I don't really like the idea of.

that sounds bullshit to me. 
wasn't it confirmed, through an interview with scott, that terraforming will be a main theme of the movie?
to tie in the universe of alien, it is most important to explain the motives of weyland(-yutani) or at least, to make an accurate picture of what they're dealing with. so i don't think it wil dismiss the four films, but define them.

robbritton

I think Scott has got himself overly tied up in smeantics and pedantry on this one. If you've made a film that features the space jockeys, then it is an Alien film. It doesn't need to feature the xenomorph itself, it's still an Alien film as it is based upon a fictitious construct from those films. That's all there is to it. Whether it features xenomorphs or not, Prometheus is an Alien film. ALl this dancing about the issue by the makers is really tedious - it's like doing a film about the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man and going, "ooh, but it isn't a Ghostbusters film because they're not in it themselves".

Everyone knows, Ridders. Relax.

Gash

Well, it's probably FOX insisting that it's played down as an   A  L  I  E  N   film for fear of false marketing. Yes, we all know that if the SJ is there then it's obviously all part of the same thing, but FOX, being full of daft execs who think that sequels/prequels exist to retread the old formula and satisfy expected parameters are probably a bit nervous about stating it's an  A  L  I   E  N  prequel, minus the regular alien.

As someone else pointed out, the general cinema going public will be seeing an original film, in which they might make connections in the last 8 minutes, the rest of us will probably be noting the alien-ness running through the film from the opening onwards.

Some of us don't need to see a new Kane's son for it to be an Alien film, and others, judging by some of the reactions to Scott's recent interview, do (and are having a bit of a tantrum about it). Which is exactly why it's been played down from the start.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed