Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus, Giger, Beginning of Man and Original Alien

Started by Darkoo, Dec 17, 2011, 02:26:48 PM

Author
Ridley Scott Talks Prometheus, Giger, Beginning of Man and Original Alien (Read 106,652 times)

LarsVader

I would die to finaly seet this on screen!

Engineer1

You're referring to the PARADISE synopsis?
Not sure about the followers thingie anymore...
What made me believe it at first is that image inside the ship where you see a suited caracter fall to his knee and on the background a group of seemingly bald people wearing white clothes...
I think that KFS and PARADISE may have got some stuff right but not the creature part.
And from the cast they are using for the Engineers, phisical actors, ithink they are gonna be a pretty ferocious threat too.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

The followers have apparently a huge place in Paradise. What is your theory about the creatures ?

Tangakkai

Tbh I'm so relieved we don't see any Xenos... I mean sure if anybody could have pulled it off, it would be Ridley. The thing is though that this Prometheus thing really feels like a grand mythology that wants to go places and the Xeno we all know just doesn't belong there.

Still hoping we will see some kind of evil creature/weapons that will be worthy of this legacy.

Oh and if Giger is hardly involved, don't get your hopes high on seeing any of his art in the film...

BonesawT101

Scott did say that there would be 'biomechanoids' in Prometheus

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: cmdcnqr on Dec 17, 2011, 05:29:23 PM
THANK GOD/and or Space Jockeys that there are no Xenomorphs! That rag has been rung dry, too dry. The classic alien has been reduced to a laughing stock after Alien 4, and those disgusting AVP films. Why would you want any more xenomorphs? To do what? Crawl on walls and chase people around? Too predictable. Sir Ridley the Grand Master is back and I'm sure he's going to surprise us with some new creatures, meaner and nastier than before!

There's nothing wrong with the Alien. If there was, you wouldn't even be a member of these forums. :)

More to the point, people wouldn't still be counting the two original films as amongst their favourites, to this very day - and actively rewatching them.

Ridley's jaded. That's understandable. But I think he's wrong about them no longer having value. It's simply that they haven't been portrayed right since the eighties. That's a big part of why people get so pissed off at the other films (especially the AVP ones). It's because fandom realises there's so much immense potential for the things and, every time, we see professionals getting paid a ridiculous amount of money to treat them with respect and we see it being squandered.

There's been some truly amazing atmospheric artwork produced of the Aliens since the late eighties. Heck, there have been some amazing professional statues produced, too. Some crappy stuff, yes, but the sheer volume of the truly atmospheric stuff is impressive. If someone was able to reproduce that level of iconic horror in film form? You can bet the creatures would be revitalised and back at the top of their cinematic game.

If the Aliens are so unscary and past their prime, then name me something which has replaced them in the public imagination and isn't a direct copy. :)

It's like Terminators... They've been shamelessly copied and parodied, countless times. Does that mean to say the original films and designs would be any less effective, today? No! It's just that they haven't been portrayed right. They haven't had the right script, story and directors. You could make an excellent new 'Terminator' film, it's just that nobody has.

And, really, would 'Prometheus' even be generating half the hype it has if it was known to have nothing in common with the other 'Alien' films? I don't think so.

It's a prequel. It's intended to be a part of the same continuity. It doesn't matter that we won't be seeing the Aliens, themselves. We'll be seeing other things. But to say there's no way the Aliens could ever be handled right in future is to devalue what made - and still makes - those original films so iconic and powerful, today.

Not that there's anything wrong with new creatures, by any means. If there's something on the level of Sil, from 'Species', except more vicious and predatory, that'd be fine. I just don't agree with this recent need I've seen from some quarters to hype up the new film at the expense of devaluing the old ones.

Besides which, if Ridley truly thought that? He wouldn't have had those meetings we know he did with Sigourney Weaver and James Cameron, where they bitched about what had gone wrong with the later portrayals and decided to 'do it right'. Sadly, according to Cameron, Ridley just never bothered getting back in touch after he agreed to try and write the story for it.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Xenomorphine...I'm not quite getting your logic.

Just because there hasn't been any creature as scary as the alien doesn't by default mean that the alien itself is still scary. Ridley wasn't saying there's no value in the creature, he's saying and has said, as it looks now, it isn't as impactful as it has been. That is a true statement.

Can it be scary again? Maybe....but the question is how. You're also right that there's been some great statues and atmospheric work including the creature, but that doesn't equate that ergo, the creatures are still scary...they're beautiful concepts.

People still clamor here at AvP and other alien related sites because of a shared love of the films and the memories attached to them. Personally, I'm excited about Prometheus, not because of the creature but because of what I've been reading may be in store for us. I could not see the alien again and I would be fine. The alien doesn't scare me anymore.  It IS tired. It has value yes, but it needs a bit of a break.

Gash

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Dec 17, 2011, 11:18:16 PMSadly, according to Cameron, Ridley just never bothered getting back in touch after he agreed to try and write the story for it.

I don't find that sad. More a relief, glad Ridley had his own plan.

EEV-2501

EEV-2501

This is the most prestigious franchise in Sci-Fi but after 30 years it needs to evolve radically and to a really brand new direction. Otherwise it's the end of the Alien and his mythology.

Engineer1

Quote from: EEV-2501 on Dec 17, 2011, 11:00:15 PM
The followers have apparently a huge place in Paradise. What is your theory about the creatures ?

Scott said the facehugger and the xeno as a shape are worn out but i don't think that he believes the same of the lifecycle.
From what Scott and many reports hint to it seems that we are getting again the same sort of parasite.
Something that rips throught the guts.
I'm pretty sure to have seen a slug in the 15 sec trailer leak and there is the thing jumping at us/a character in the leaked trailer. The two are probably the same.
I would bet my money on a new design but that evokes the xenos in some way since it's the same biotech.

Then iwon't be suprised that not only the humans get infected, some Engineers could fall victims of their own creations and lead to another creature in the climax.
Thatw what the marketsaw report hinted at.
Bigger, meaner and more perverse creatures.
Like their creators.

EEV-2501

We definitely need the HD version of the trailer.

T Dog

Ridley Scott: "By the end of the third act you start to realize there's a DNA of the very first alien, but none of the subsequent aliens. To tell you what that is is a pity, and I'm not going to tell you, because it's actually pretty good, pretty organic to the process and to the original. But we go back, we don't go forward."

So basically, time moves backwards throughout the whole movie or at the very end. They end up in the distant past. Would explain the fossilised suit.

mastermoon

mastermoon

Ridley Scott has mentioned the Space Jockey is in Prometheus but when he the film isn't directly related to Alien, does that mean it's not connected to it?.

Engineer1

Engineer1

Theorized about that when Scott said that he was shooting the begining of time and that Rapace & Theron were present in Iceland exhausting themselves running.

But he also said that those scenes of the begining of time are the first minutes if the movie, and Theron & Rapace said that they were shooting the end of the movie (you can see two suited characters running for their lives in front of the crashing Engineer's ship in the trailer).

Quotethere's a DNA of the very first alien, but none of the subsequent aliens
Doubt he's hinting at actual time travel, seems to me he's talking actually about the creature itself not the movies, no?
So Proto Alien?

T Dog

Quotethere's a DNA of the very first alien, but none of the subsequent aliens
Seems to me he's talking actually about the creature not the movies...
So Proto Alien?
[/quote]

Slug things people think they are seeing turn more facehuggery?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed