How many sequels should there be?

Started by RakaiThwei, Jul 15, 2014, 10:15:26 PM

Author
How many sequels should there be? (Read 5,100 times)

Liberator

Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2014, 12:34:03 AM
Sport.

As Arnie alludes to in the first film.

Why else?

You apparently didn't even read my post.  The original authors made the predator a juvenile trying to complete a rite of passage into manhood by his hunt.  This is not established in the movie, but the predator was "not very sporting" even given what Arnie says to Ana.  More or less, the predator demonstrated this by taking his laser and helmet off at the end to fight Dutch.  In this particular case, the predator was saying he respected Dutch enough to fight him FAIRLY.  Throughout the rest of the movie, the predator is nothing but an assassin taking no risks and easily picking people off.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Liberator on Sep 02, 2014, 12:43:58 AM
The original authors made the predator a juvenile trying to complete a rite of passage into manhood by his hunt.

I.. don't remember Jim and John Thomas coming up with any of that. Originally they had wanted to write about a clan of Hunters, where there were three Predators.. Ironically enough we happened to have gotten that film some twenty three years later BUT the point of that is this. I don't think Jim and John Thomas came up with the idea that Diablo was a juvenile Hunter.

The only one who said that Diablo was a juvenile Hunter was Paul W.S. Anderson. And that is something which.. I don't agree with, considering how experienced this Predator was shown to be in the first movie.

SM

SM

QuoteThe original authors made the predator a juvenile trying to complete a rite of passage into manhood by his hunt.

Well there you go then.  Apparently you already know why they hunt on Earth (despite there being no mention of this) - so why does a film need to explain it?

Liberator

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 02, 2014, 12:53:08 AM
Quote from: Liberator on Sep 02, 2014, 12:43:58 AM
The original authors made the predator a juvenile trying to complete a rite of passage into manhood by his hunt.

I.. don't remember Jim and John Thomas coming up with any of that. Originally they had wanted to write about a clan of Hunters, where there were three Predators.. Ironically enough we happened to have gotten that film some twenty three years later BUT the point of that is this. I don't think Jim and John Thomas came up with the idea that Diablo was a juvenile Hunter.

The only one who said that Diablo was a juvenile Hunter was Paul W.S. Anderson. And that is something which.. I don't agree with, considering how experienced this Predator was shown to be in the first movie.

You may be right, RakaiThwei.  I remember reading somewhere that the first predator was a juvenile.  In any case, I think for my idea to work the movie needs to establish within the movie itself the reason for the predators stopping, whatever it is.  I think it would be a great, great heroic deed for someone to finally stop their hunts, and that would be the most fitting end for the original series.  I'd still like to see separate sequels to Predators and AVP2, which I think should stand alone.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Liberator on Sep 02, 2014, 01:04:10 AM
I think it would be a great, great heroic deed for someone to finally stop their hunts, and that would be the most fitting end for the original series.

So what you want is a human superiority scenario in the flick? I'm sorry but those are a dime a dozen with plenty of sci-fi and horror films. I just don't see it happening and don't want to see happening in a Predator flick. If it does.. Sign me up for a full on reboot.

I'd still like to see separate sequels to Predators and AVP2, which I think should stand alone.

A sequel to PREDATORS is more likely to happen and as much as I would love an AvP3.. I don't think the latter is going to happen. I'll say this, if both had separate and unrelated sequels with diverging continuities, I'd be down with that. But realistically speaking, I don't think it's going to happen whatsoever.. unfortunately.

SM

SM

I'm sure another AvP will happen at some point - but it won't be called AvP3.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2014, 01:17:38 AM

You're suggesting a reboot or retcon in the sense of what Superman Returns did with the Richard Donner movies?

Liberator

Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2014, 01:01:40 AM
QuoteThe original authors made the predator a juvenile trying to complete a rite of passage into manhood by his hunt.

Well there you go then.  Apparently you already know why they hunt on Earth (despite there being no mention of this) - so why does a film need to explain it?

If it's actually established in the movie, then everyone can be on the same page.  I could be wrong about how the movie was originally written.  I remember reading somewhere the predators were always juveniles entering manhood.  I think a lot of fans would also like more backstory anyway, just to get to know more about the predators.

SM

SM

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 02, 2014, 01:20:16 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2014, 01:17:38 AM

You're suggesting a reboot or retcon in the sense of what Superman Returns did with the Richard Donner movies?

No, just an AvP movie with a story not linked to the others.  A 'reboot' of the franchise a la Predators.

QuoteIf it's actually established in the movie, then everyone can be on the same page.

Where is it ever disputed that they hunt for sport though?  They don't go after people who are unarmed, pregnant or otherwise deemed unworthy - and keep trophies.  Isn't everyone on the same page already?

Liberator

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 02, 2014, 01:10:36 AM
I think it would be a great, great heroic deed for someone to finally stop their hunts, and that would be the most fitting end for the original series.

So what you want is a human superiority scenario in the flick? I'm sorry but those are a dime a dozen with plenty of sci-fi and horror films. I just don't see it happening and don't want to see happening in a Predator flick. If it does.. Sign me up for a full on reboot.

I'd still like to see separate sequels to Predators and AVP2, which I think should stand alone.

A sequel to PREDATORS is more likely to happen and as much as I would love an AvP3.. I don't think the latter is going to happen. I'll say this, if both had separate and unrelated sequels with diverging continuities, I'd be down with that. But realistically speaking, I don't think it's going to happen whatsoever.. unfortunately.

It's not a human superiority scenario.  The issue is that the predators know that more and more humans are for the first time able to interfere with their hunts.  Their hunters are just being outnumbered and surrounded, ambushed, etc.  It spoils their hunts.  I think this is why in Predators, for instance, the predators started teleporting the prey to their game reserve planet.  That facilitates neverending hunts, but the question is how can the story end and how it should.  We would know that the predators are out there in space, and that if they wanted to, they could blast us away with their ship.  They are permitting us to stand up to them.

SM

SM

Would that just present a greater challenge to the Predators?

Liberator

Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2014, 01:37:06 AM
Would that just present a greater challenge to the Predators?

After a while it reaches a point of almost certain death, or if the predators hunt in groups, then it becomes a war instead of a hunt.

SM

SM

So essentially they become pussies who pose no real threat.  What would be the point of doing that to the monster in a monster movie?

Liberator

Quote from: SM on Sep 02, 2014, 01:54:00 AM
So essentially they become pussies who pose no real threat.  What would be the point of doing that to the monster in a monster movie?

I wouldn't say they are weakened at all.  Individually, they can still "waste" any human, and collectively they can still "waste" all of humanity if they so choose.  A useful analogy, I suppose, is what nuclear weapons did to modern warfare.  They lead to stand-off's, and neither side becomes "a pussy" for not being able to threaten the other does it?

Because the predators have all the advantages, they could do to humans literally anything.  I want there to be hope for humanity, that is all.

SM

SM

But there already is - they get beaten by humans in three out of five films.  Humans can't match them in terms of strength and technology, so they have to be outsmarted in some way.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed