[SPOILERS] So Covenant confirms that AvP and AvPR are not canon films.

Started by bacchus, May 13, 2017, 11:29:48 PM

Author
[SPOILERS] So Covenant confirms that AvP and AvPR are not canon films. (Read 91,269 times)

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Jan 08, 2019, 01:18:24 PM
Thank you. I might just do that.

It makes more sense, in the franchise's current state, to be one universe. Instead of two continuities - one comprised of Prometheus, Alien Covenant, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Resurrection the other comprised of Predator, Predator 2, Predators, The Predator, AVP, AVPR, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3 and Resurrection. But if that's truly what it's come to I know which one I'd rather out of the two.

Well we have two sets of canon right? Paul Anderson said AVP was a prequel to the "Alien" films and sequel to the "Predator" films. So that means...

• ORIGINAL CANON: Predator, Predator 2, Predators, AVP, AVPR, Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Resurrection,

Then Ridley broke away from the AVP lineage leaving us...

• RETCONNED CANON #1:  Prometheus, Alien Covenant, Alien, Aliens, Alien3, Alien Ressurection.

• RETCONNED CANON #2:  Predator, Predator 2, Predators, The Predator, AVP, AVPR.

But with films like "The Predator" still reinforcing a connection between Alien & Predator, it still makes more sense to you to bridge them back together in your mind.  Otherwise you basically have two people in a room, but only one* side is acknowledging the other exists.

Kind of like Paul Anderson and Ridley Scott both sitting at a big Fox table and Paul shouting "Hey Ridley! It's me! Paul! AVP Paul" and Ridley Scott crossing his arms and saying "I don't hear anything. I'm all alone as far as I'm concerned".  ;D

So it makes more sense for you to push them back together.  I can get that.

- -
* edit (forgot the word "one")

JokersWarPig

This thread just proves Covenant did a lot of unnecessary things that just give the fan base more to argue about. I guess the egg on the sulaco and Alien vs Aliens arguments were getting pretty old.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Jan 08, 2019, 02:24:46 PM
This thread just proves Covenant did a lot of unnecessary things that just give the fan base more to argue about. I guess the egg on the sulaco and Alien vs Aliens arguments were getting pretty old.

Sometimes I admit I can be oblivious, but I don't think we're arguing.

But it was Prometheus that brought the retcon. Covenant instead brought us the David created the Xenomorph debate.  :)

The Old One

The Old One

Voodoo Magic, The Old One's interpretation;

PREDATOR (Either timeline, no references to either Prometheus or AVP 2004)

PREDATOR 2 (AVP 2004/Neither Timeline, Xenomorph reference Trophy)

P R E D A T O R S (Either timeline, no references to either Prometheus or AVP 2004)

THE PREDATORā„¢ (AVP 2004 Timeline direct reference & Xenomorph Trophy)

A L I E N (Either timeline, no references to either Prometheus or AVP 2004)

AL|ENS  (Either timeline, no references to either Prometheus or AVP 2004)

ALIENĀ³ (Michael Bishop = Prometheus, Michael Bishop Weyland = AVP 2004)

AR (Who cares. Probably either timeline.)

Also Predator 2 is arguable, as that could just be
another creature, possibly a Pathogen creature-
that greatly resembles the Alien.
Or David could turn out to be wrong.

Or I'm sure you could argue something else,
it's just an Easter egg blah, blah blah.

Voodoo Magic

@TheOldOne -

It's interesting how fluid your interpretation is, and how you take each film at a case by case basis. I've never seen this topic approached that way before.

It's also interesting (if I'm understanding you correctly) is how you've taken no stance on "Alien3". Usually people position themself one way or another, and that decision often sways the two Alien installments preceding it. Yet, you leave it inconclusive. I must say your analytical approach is pretty unique! I like it.

Btw - Those title fonts so enhance your presentation. One day I'll have to adapt your technique!  :)

The Old One

The Old One

Well, it's the same as Alien & Aliens,
only this time there's directly an element
which MUST be different depending upon-
if you've watching it through the lens of the
AVP continuity. (Charles, Michael, Karl.)
AVP, AVPR, The Predator, AVP 2010.

Or the 2012+ Prometheus continuity,
where the character is firmly established
as human and simply one of many great thinkers.

yhe1

yhe1

I think to make it all work the only thing you have to assume is that Peter Weyland is a close relative, tho not son, of Charles Bishop weyland. Covenant doesn't state that xenomorphs only have one creator, so xenomorphs appearing before David isn't a contradiction. The global warming also isn't a contradiction as The Predator could have happened before 2016. 

SiL

"All you have to do is ignore what the films say and it all works".

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: yhe1 on Jan 08, 2019, 10:30:10 PM
I think to make it all work the only thing you have to assume is that Peter Weyland is a close relative, tho not son, of Charles Bishop weyland. Covenant doesn't state that xenomorphs only have one creator, so xenomorphs appearing before David isn't a contradiction. The global warming also isn't a contradiction before The Predator could have happened before 2016.

In "Predator 2" there was clearly effects of global warming occurring in 1997.

Quote from: SiL on Jan 08, 2019, 10:37:50 PM
"All you have to do is ignore what the films say and it all works".

Hey no one likes rain during a parade. Just consider what Frosty is doing as an experiment.  ;)

yhe1

Peter Weyland reversed global warming in 2016, so that is fine.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: yhe1 on Jan 08, 2019, 11:13:28 PM

Peter Weyland reversed global warming in 2016, so that is fine.

There was no indication it was immediately reversed, correct?  As in his polar ice cap work may have resulted in a gradual reversal.

SiL

You'd still think the characters would mention that when they're going on about Predators hunting us before we make ourselves extinct...

SM

For what it's worth, there were still some climate related issues in the early 22nd century as mentioned in Covenant Origins.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Jan 08, 2019, 11:25:29 PM
You'd still think the characters would mention that when they're going on about Predators hunting us before we make ourselves extinct...

Hmm. Maybe at the time there were deniers, people who didn't believe the science would work?  It would seem plausible.

Quote from: SM on Jan 08, 2019, 11:31:38 PM
For what it's worth, there were still some climate related issues in the early 22nd century as mentioned in Covenant Origins.

Interesting. Do you know to what extent?

SM

Melting ice sheet in Greenland mucks around with usual weather patterns in the UK.  The Thames Barrier barely holds back ice floes and flooding in winter and there's a thick smog in London during summer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed