I hope Ridley doesn't get to do another movie

Started by EJA, Feb 05, 2018, 11:27:45 AM

Author
I hope Ridley doesn't get to do another movie (Read 14,333 times)

tleilaxu

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Feb 16, 2018, 10:27:20 PM
Quote from: tleilaxu on Feb 16, 2018, 09:34:01 PM
If you actually open your ears and listen to the man what he's saying is that the classic xeno is cooked, not the Alien franchise as a whole, because Ridley Scott envisions the Alien universe as a big universe as opposed to the same old xeno crawling around in corridors.
Oh, I completely agree. Ridley Scott said that he thinks that the beast is cooked, not that the Alien franchise as a whole is cooked. Which is why I never once said, implied, hinted or suggested otherwise. If you actually opened your eyes and read my comment, you'd see that. My comment is, like, the furthest away you can get from the thing you accuse me of claiming. Ridley Scott did an Alien film over a Blade Runner film because an Alien film had money in it, while a Blade Runner film didn't. Usually profitable things aren't what you'd call "cooked".
My point was more that the interpretation of him doing it for the money based on that line was wrong.

Paranoid Android

But I'm not basing anything on that line...I'm basing it on him saying that he did Alien over Blade Runner because Alien was "good business".

tleilaxu

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Feb 16, 2018, 10:35:25 PM
But I'm not basing anything on that line...I'm basing it on him saying that he did Alien over Blade Runner because Alien was "good business".
Alright, I'll concede your point if he really did say that. It's just ironic that the end result actually turned out better than BR2049 though.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: tleilaxu on Feb 16, 2018, 10:42:11 PM
Alright, I'll concede your point if he really did say that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k69U-nQvw1A

It's just ironic that the end result actually turned out better than BR2049 though.
I think it's an interesting debate to have, but it's not really the point of the thread or this little side argument. Wouldn't mind continuing it in a PM or a dedicated thread, but other than that I'll just say I disagree and leave it at that.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Feb 16, 2018, 03:12:43 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Feb 16, 2018, 08:06:46 AM
Much like how Scott apologized for Prometheus only to have his fanboys acrobat their way around the meaning of the word 'apology' only to stick to their denial about it ever happening, so too is the case now, when Ridley Scott says that he picked Alien:Covenant over Blade Runner because it was , and I quote: "good business" and his fanboys act like they don't know what good business means.

Damn, once again I'm just now finding out I missed out on the acrobatic fanboy training.

Like I wrote before; this is a rehash of old arguments.

And now some people here get labeled as "fanboys". Whatever.

* As for what Ridley said about "good business" here is a more complete quote;

Quote"I figured it was a good piece of business to follow through Prometheus, which, from ground zero, had good lift-off, " he said. "So we went to Covenant to perpetuate the idea and [revive] the franchise of the Alien.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/more-alien-movies-will-happen-ridley-scott-says/1100-6455383/

* The key here is that Scott wanted to "revive the franchise of the Alien" AKA the Alien franchise.
- I know several people don't like the prequel films and don't appreciate his efforts.
Of course that's their privilege to react that way.
- But Scott succeeded in expanding the Alien movie franchise.
He did it in a science fiction/horror genre where it is very difficult to make a film which can be successful in theaters. 

* I have posted several comments on this site about the finances of the film business.
I know some people are not familiar with that which is fine.
- But it is movie financing which Ridley is talking about in this quote.
- Scott wanted "Covenant" to make money so that that Alien franchise would continue.

* This decision by Scott to make "Covenant" had nothing to do with Ridley's personal financial situation.
As I've posted, he is worth about $200 million.
He could have lived comfortably off of that for the rest of his life and not have directed again.

* Finally, why did Scott not direct "Blade Runner: 2049"?
Again, this goes back to how the big budget movie business works.
Making a major science fiction film is a huge undertaking.
It takes years.
A director of these major special effects movies has to choose what they want to do.
- No director could simultaneously direct "Covenant" and "BR 2049".

* Does that mean that Ridley doesn't care about "BR 2049"? No.
Scott was a producer on the film and he helped set up the story.
He has discussed "BR 2049" and wanted it to be more successful.
Not because he needs more money in his pocket.
- Because he understands about the movie business where "BR 2049" needed to make a profit if its franchise was going to continue.

* And that was the bottom line for Scott at this stage of his life.
- To try to revive and continue the Alien and the Blade Runner franchises.

;)

Biomechanoid

Quote from: bb-15 on Feb 17, 2018, 12:55:05 AM
A director of these major special effects movies has to choose what they want to do.

Not to mention Scott has three times the producer roles as director roles. So evidently he enjoys being a producer, maybe even more so than being a director if you went by numbers alone.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: bb-15 on Feb 17, 2018, 12:55:05 AM
Quote from: Biomechanoid on Feb 16, 2018, 03:12:43 PM
Quote from: Paranoid Android on Feb 16, 2018, 08:06:46 AM
Much like how Scott apologized for Prometheus only to have his fanboys acrobat their way around the meaning of the word 'apology' only to stick to their denial about it ever happening, so too is the case now, when Ridley Scott says that he picked Alien:Covenant over Blade Runner because it was , and I quote: "good business" and his fanboys act like they don't know what good business means.

Damn, once again I'm just now finding out I missed out on the acrobatic fanboy training.

Like I wrote before; this is a rehash of old arguments.

And now some people here get labeled as "fanboys". Whatever.

* As for what Ridley said about "good business" here is a more complete quote;

Quote"I figured it was a good piece of business to follow through Prometheus, which, from ground zero, had good lift-off, " he said. "So we went to Covenant to perpetuate the idea and [revive] the franchise of the Alien.
https://www.gamespot.com/articles/more-alien-movies-will-happen-ridley-scott-says/1100-6455383/

* The key here is that Scott wanted to "revive the franchise of the Alien" AKA the Alien franchise.
- I know several people don't like the prequel films and don't appreciate his efforts.
Of course that's their privilege to react that way.
- But Scott succeeded in expanding the Alien movie franchise.
He did it in a science fiction/horror genre where it is very difficult to make a film which can be successful in theaters. 

* I have posted several comments on this site about the finances of the film business.
I know some people are not familiar with that which is fine.
- But it is movie financing which Ridley is talking about in this quote.
- Scott wanted "Covenant" to make money so that that Alien franchise would continue.

* This decision by Scott to make "Covenant" had nothing to do with Ridley's personal financial situation.
As I've posted, he is worth about $200 million.
He could have lived comfortably off of that for the rest of his life and not have directed again.

Again, this goes back to how the big budget movie business works.
Making a major science fiction film is a huge undertaking.
It takes years.
- No director could simultaneously direct "Covenant" and "BR 2049".

He has discussed "BR 2049" and wanted it to be more successful.
Not because he needs more money in his pocket.
- Because he understands about the movie business where "BR 2049" needed to make a profit if its franchise was going to continue.

* And that was the bottom line for Scott at this stage of his life.
- To try to revive and continue the Alien and the Blade Runner franchises.

;)

THANK YOU

I love Alien: Covenant... I just hope they decide to continue with it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed