I hope Ridley doesn't get to do another movie

Started by EJA, Feb 05, 2018, 11:27:45 AM

Author
I hope Ridley doesn't get to do another movie (Read 14,333 times)

Nukiemorph

Four movies and a prequel trilogy that's unfinished.

Half the fans seem happy that it's unfinished.  I'm personally furious.

Now a family-oriented company is going to own the series and it may be completely over.

This is the state of my favorite franchise and it really bums me the hell out.

Scorpio

Disney are going to make the 3rd one with Scott, that's why Scott is doing Merlin for them.

BigDaddyJohn

I would totally welcome a third movie, but not directed by Scott.

0321recon

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 06, 2018, 12:19:35 PM
Disney are going to make the 3rd one with Scott, that's why Scott is doing Merlin for them.

Exactly. It's happening as much as some wish it not to.

Evanus

I say give Scott one more chance.

David Weyland

I second that. Would keep the character of David going beyond the prequels also somehow

tleilaxu

Quote from: EJA on Feb 05, 2018, 11:27:45 AM
I personally believe it would be better if Ridley Scott does not do a follow-up to Covenant. The direction he's going in is obvious, and it just isn't very good, wittling away the dark mystery of the universe.
So don't watch them and keep to the comic books and video-games.

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 06, 2018, 06:05:42 AM
I like the direction they are going in.

If it weren't for people salivating over the holy grail of Alien/Aliens.

The series has always struggled to break free from their influence.
I think the issue is that /nothing/ will live up to the expectations of a bunch of manchildren with nostalgia fuelled hardons for Nostromo corridors and ""Giger-esque Xenomorph homeworlds" save exactly that for which these hardons are raised: the same old crap.
Covenant is the best Alien movie since the original if you ask me. It's far from perfect, but it doesn't need to be, it just needs to press the right aesthetic/emotional buttons and it does that very well, but you have to be willing to let Covenant influence you instead of cupping your ears and eyes and crying out "80 YEARS OF MYTHOLOGY RUINED".

SiL

Or people want movies that are better written and better considered than the last two movies.

If you have to defend everything with ad hominem attacks, maybe the thing you're defending is more flawed than you care to admit?

tleilaxu

Quote from: SiL on Feb 06, 2018, 10:06:09 PM
Or people want movies that are better written and better considered than the last two movies.

If you have to defend everything with ad hominem attacks, maybe the thing you're defending is more flawed than you care to admit?
It has already been pointed out countless times that the original movies suffer from similar flaws, although perhaps not as overtly dumb as Milton petting the hammerpede etc., but every time one of us says this, you close your ears and start rambling about "bla bla REALISTIC HUMAN CHARACTER FLAWS bla bla OBECTIVELY GOOD STORYTELLING". Again, like I've said, the movies are not perfect, they have plenty of flaws and I can admit whatever flaws I think are there because unlike some of you I don't have this overwhelming drive to pretend the things I love are perfect. I think a bit more introspection would save us redundant threads like these.

SM

I'm not sure SiL has said those things.  Particularly in all caps.

tleilaxu

Might've been Paranoid Android, in particular the latter part.

reecebomb

I hope Ridley will direct the next one, if they are going to continue/finish David's story. But only if they do nothing stupid like ruin the mystery around original space jockey (what's left of it), the egg cargo and connect it to Alien in any way. He should steer further away from the original films (no queen, no pulse rifles...), so that the prequels could become it's own series. We don't need lame contraticting prequel stories that f**k up the established lore and are not even near to the standard of the classics, do it right or don't do it at all.

Or they should simply reboot this mess.

Highland

Quote from: tleilaxu on Feb 06, 2018, 09:53:02 PM
Quote from: EJA on Feb 05, 2018, 11:27:45 AM
I personally believe it would be better if Ridley Scott does not do a follow-up to Covenant. The direction he's going in is obvious, and it just isn't very good, wittling away the dark mystery of the universe.
So don't watch them and keep to the comic books and video-games.

Quote from: Scorpio on Feb 06, 2018, 06:05:42 AM
I like the direction they are going in.

If it weren't for people salivating over the holy grail of Alien/Aliens.

The series has always struggled to break free from their influence.
I think the issue is that /nothing/ will live up to the expectations of a bunch of manchildren with nostalgia fuelled hardons for Nostromo corridors and ""Giger-esque Xenomorph homeworlds" save exactly that for which these hardons are raised: the same old crap.
Covenant is the best Alien movie since the original if you ask me. It's far from perfect, but it doesn't need to be, it just needs to press the right aesthetic/emotional buttons and it does that very well, but you have to be willing to let Covenant influence you instead of cupping your ears and eyes and crying out "80 YEARS OF MYTHOLOGY RUINED".

Time and time again though people that work in less popular media - video games, comics and novels, absolutely nail it. This is with Star Wars, Alien, Predator...

I think generally the people they put in charge of movies really don't get it.

Occasionally you do , like James Mangold with Wolverine and the result is awesome.

I think the last person that "got it" with Aliens was Fincher but he got shafted.

tleilaxu

Logan sucked though.

Scorpio

I have nothing against them adapting the EU.  The EU was loosely adapted for Alien Vs Predator.  Granted, I don't read the comics or novels.  I really liked Alien Isolation, though.

The thing is, you have to ask what works as a comic book and what works as a movie.

I'm taking an educated guess here but isn't most of the EU based off the first two movies?

I would rather see something that takes the series in an interesting new creative direction. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed