Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 184,773 times)

Still Collating...

I'm worried that the franchise is in trouble and I'm pretty split on where it should go next. It has always belonged to Fox. But from another perspective, there were only two overwhelmingly loved movies and the last one was in 1986!

I like Covenant but it did have so many problems. The worst part for me is that Ridley has no real plan, he's abandoning ideas left and right that he himself introduced. Yes, I wanted an Alien movie and it would have been awesome if Prometheus had an Alien that was well written in, but okay. It wasn't necessary or a problem. What we got were questions about the Engineers. Lets learn more about them. And the idea was completely thrown away! There was not enough of a payoff from Prometheus. Even though I really like David and have nothing against him creating the Alien, for I love the idea of a sick, sexually frustrated robot which was created by an arrogant genius who made him too human like and now the twisted creation is creating nightmares for us humans, I'm still disappointed in the execution.

Anyway, with whoever it is to blame on the changing of direction for Covenant, be it Fox (probably) or Ridley (who doesn't care enough anymore), we need a better approach and change. I'd like for Scott to wrap this all up with one more movie and leave the franchise be, as many have stated before me. But after that it could be possible that Fox puts the franchise on ice which I wouldn't like. But if Disney gets the right, they could even maybe ignore the whole franchise which is even worse.

I would love if Fox could get the franchise back on track but the Box Office for Blade Runner 2049 is also worrying. There may be a lack of interest for mature Sci-Fi anymore...
I'm afraid of Disney getting the rights if they don't care about the franchise, but knowing how successful they are, if they want to continue it, I'd like to see what they come up with.
It's sad to hear no games being developed and no comics (as of now) after Dead Orbit. I'm looking more forward to the new Titan books and regular Neca releases than the movies, which is not encouraging. Maybe it's time for a Disney Alien?  :laugh:

Dabaus

Dabaus

I'm genuinely convinced more than anything, the problem with the franchise isn't Ridley, per se, although he currently isn't helping, but fox suits intervening. I think the first alien film was a combination of a perfect storm and aliens was great because Cameron had a clear vision: Vietnam in space.
     Alien 3 is where we is where we hear about producers sabotaging most of the script ideas and eventually the film itself. Alien resurrection I don't know how much influence fox suits had because they outsourced it to a French director but the film we got was the result of such a judgment.
    Which leads us to Prometheus. Long rumored alien sequel which is what it was going to be. Scott's unhappiness with the script and indecisiveness led the then fox CEO Rothram (whose now CEO of the disaster known as Sony pictures) to tell Ridley to take the alien out of the prequel and have it be its own thing. Prometheus happens and it's extremely divisive among fans because it was marketed as an alien prequel but hardly had anything to do with alien.
     Then covenant which to me shows fox has completely lost the plot. I don't even think it was a good movie. It was a terrible Prometheus sequel and a terrible alien film. Especially when the rumors of scott having a vastly different vision for sequel. One has to wonder how much meddling fox had to do to lead us where we are now.

Basically what I'm getting at is disny could not be any worse. Matter of fact they may try to understand WHY people like alien. So they can you know, make money off it.

Alionic

Quote from: Dabaus on Nov 21, 2017, 03:21:01 PM
I think at this point it would be for the best. Look at where we are, Prometheus has basically been thrown away like it never happened and covenant was a soft reboot, that I think failed to do just that. It failed as a sequel to Prometheus and failed as a competent alien movie. Pretty yes, memorable no. The fact fox said they are unsure where to go from here and then said they trust Ridley will "find" where alien needs to go doesn't inspire confidence.
      Alien is in a similar place that I think Star Wars prequels are, who also were prodeced by fox...hmm. Love or hate disneys direction with the Star Wars franchise at least it has a future now. There's excitement among fans, there's side story movies like rogue one and talks of a tv side story. Alien fans, myself at least, are not only deflated with the current trajectory but actually worried these will do permanent damage to an already battered franchise.
     Alien, under foxs stewardship is in trouble. People need to realize this. Covenant underperformed as far as fox is concerned and if they let Ridley have his way with David being the creator of the alien I think that would be the nail in the coffin. Few franchises couldn't survive so many duds in a row since alien 3 which is a testament to the strength of the ip and the loyalty of the fans. Fox clearly has no idea where to take this franchise and I say Disney couldn't be any worse than where we are now.

You're forgetting the part where Covenant and especially Prometheus made Fox a lot of money.

Quote from: Dabaus on Nov 21, 2017, 05:50:57 PM
Basically what I'm getting at is disny could not be any worse. Matter of fact they may try to understand WHY people like alien. So they can you know, make money off it.

I, too, cannot wait for PG13 Alien films from Disney. I mean, AVP made money, so why not?

No thanks.

monkeylove

FWIW, PG is probably the sweet spot for expensive Hollywood movies that are marketed internationally.

Immortan Jonesy

BlackMatter169

RidgeTop

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/27/james-cameron-on-how-disney-buying-fox-might-affect-avatar-sequels

During the last podcast we talked how X-men was a big motivating factor behind this, but it seems that Avatar may be the biggest franchise in Disney's sights, as they have a theme park area devoted to it now, as they did with Star Wars before they acquired that property.

Corporal Hicks

Hmmmm. Interesting. Really curious to see how this all pans out.

Russ

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 29, 2017, 09:06:10 AM
Hmmmm. Interesting. Really curious to see how this all pans out.

And sobering that none of the articles I've seen mention Aliens or Predator.

Corporal Hicks

I imagine because the likely real reason for all this is X-Men and Star Wars.

SM

Disney already owns Star Wars.

Corporal Hicks

The Original Trilogy. My understanding is they don't own the un-altered stuff, that is still retained by Fox.

Russ

As has been mulled over... it might be the rejuvenation the franchises need. Given what we know about "The Predator", my initial thrill has faded to a dull "please don't let it be shit" vibe.

Rogue One was ace and that was (mostly?) a Disney thing. They gave a younger director a go and I think he nailed it. Perhaps it could prove to be a blessing not a curse for A and P if it comes to pass.

Alionic

Quote from: Russ on Nov 29, 2017, 09:01:05 AM
It's back in negotiations

https://marvelstudiosnews.com/2017/11/28/breaking-disney-fox-back-negotiating-table-make-deal/

Imagine Disney owning Avatar, X-Men, Alien, Predator, etc. in addition to everything they already own. Monopolies aren't known for allowing creative freedom, folks. You better hope this doesn't go through.

At least 20th Century Fox took risks with Logan, Deadpool, Prometheus, Covenant, etc. and now The New Mutants.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed