Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Oct 14, 2020, 08:31:32 PM

Author
Napoleon - Ridley Scott's film with Joaquin Phoenix (Read 86,283 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯 on Apr 02, 2024, 09:36:51 AMAccording to World of Reel, Apple Films currently has no plans to release the 4+ hour Napoleon Director's Cut.

This comes as quite a disappointment because Scott described the longer cut as "fantastic".

#ReleaseTheScottCut

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/4/1/apple-has-no-plans-to-release-ridley-scotts-4-hour-napoleon-directors-cut

No word on a physical release either.

Regarding this, if true (I hope not, because I really want to see that extended cut), I'm guessing Apple is probably really rethinking their release plans full stop right now. All three of their massive budget releases pretty much flopped (Napoleon, Killers of the Flower Moon, and Argylle), and Napoleon and KotFM were supposed to bring in some notoriety and good grace for them at the Oscars but neither film took any awards home. Don't think we'll be seeing any more massive budget theatrical releases from Apple like this any time soon, and given Napoleon's lack of impact, they probably aren't itching to invest anything more into it for another round of release at the moment, even if that release is streaming only. ::)

They do have that Spike Lee remake of High and Low coming, which I'm incredibly excited for, but that's in partnership with A24 (just like Joel Coen's The Tragedy of Macbeth), so I don't expect that one to be quite as massive an investment on their part as these three films were, given the scale of the movies A24 usually releases.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 02, 2024, 02:21:49 PMRegarding this, if true (I hope not, because I really want to see that extended cut), I'm guessing Apple is probably really rethinking their release plans full stop right now. All three of their massive budget releases pretty much flopped (Napoleon, Killers of the Flower Moon, and Argylle), and Napoleon and KotFM were supposed to bring in some notoriety and good grace for them at the Oscars but neither film took any awards home. Don't think we'll be seeing any more massive budget theatrical releases from Apple like this any time soon, and given Napoleon's lack of impact, they probably aren't itching to invest anything more into it for another round of release at the moment, even if that release is streaming only. ::)

Yeah, those three films were prestige pictures that didn't bring them much prestige.

They'll probably just use them as tax write-off's now and not bother with physical releases or extended editions.  :(

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I didn't see Argylle (don't really like Matthew Vaughn's movies and didn't think the movie looked good), but I saw Killers of the Flower Moon twice on the big screen (once IMAX, once standard) and Napoleon once in IMAX. I did my part (for the movies I cared about).

Don't have Apple's streaming service at the moment (dropped it after For All Mankind's fourth season came to an end) but will probably get a month of it again at some point soon to rewatch both films... which is an incredibly silly thing to have to do, 'cause they'd get more money out of me if I bought the two films on 4K disc than they would from me buying a single month of their service and then immediately canceling it afterwards.

Hopefully High and Low gets something resembling a wide theatrical release, at the very least, 'cause The Tragedy of Macbeth didn't screen anywhere close to me.

Ingwar

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 02, 2024, 02:42:02 PM... which is an incredibly silly thing to have to do, 'cause they'd get more money out of me if I bought the two films on 4K disc than they would from me buying a single month of their service and then immediately canceling it afterwards.

Yes, but if I'm not mistaken majority of viewers don't but discs anymore.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Ingwar on Apr 02, 2024, 05:20:21 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 02, 2024, 02:42:02 PM... which is an incredibly silly thing to have to do, 'cause they'd get more money out of me if I bought the two films on 4K disc than they would from me buying a single month of their service and then immediately canceling it afterwards.

Yes, but if I'm not mistaken majority of viewers don't but discs anymore.

And in that case, they'll get month after month of $$$ out of those folks!

Local Trouble

Immortan Jonesy

He should play this character

Kradan

Is he bitter he didn't get the part or what ?

Immortan Jonesy

Ingwar

Ingwar

It's just his honest opinion. We lack that in Hollywood where everyone praises everyone else as if they were afraid of the honesty. I prefer brutal honesty than fake praise. At the end of the day it's juts a movie.

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

Finally watched the movie (though i tried to wait for a possible longer cut).

Well...i'm a huge fan of historic (even "inspired by", fantasy or "based on") movies. I got plenty guilty pleasures movies, i like to watch alongside while working or ironing, cleaning up and stuff like that. Like Robin Hood, Exodus or even Alexander. Yes, Alexander. No good movies at all, but fun to watch. Sometimes.

Napoleon on the other hand, well...it's boring. Like REALLY boring. And Joaquin Phoenix (who is a great actor imo) was bored as well, it seems. So bored, that even as Napoleon in his 20s he played it like a depressed middle aged man close to his downfall. The whole thing between him and Kirby (who played at least okay'ish, guess there was not mucht to work with), i don't feel it. And the battles, yeah...there were mediocre battles. No tension at all, just check the list, not even talking 'bout history accuracy. Got to rewatch one of the older movies.

What a pity. Ridley Scott, still working that much at that age...i really admire that guy. Guess i won't be that active in my 50s. And he gave us so many good movies. But there is at least still very little hope for Gladiator 2 (that feels so wrong. Like Titanic 2 or Schindler's List 2). Pls, at least make it to my guilty pleasure list :D

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Never say no to Panda! on Apr 19, 2024, 11:22:10 AM(though i tried to wait for a possible longer cut).

From the look of things, I don't think we're going to be getting that at all.

Never say no to Panda!

I highly doubt, that a longer cut would even help in any way...except it would be more like a Snydercut. Pretty sure as well, there will be none.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed