Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,675 times)

Robopadna

Quote from: Noah on Jun 01, 2017, 12:09:46 AM
Fox spent 70M or even less for Deadpool (marketing costs). It's very unlikely they've spent 100M for A:C.

They spent 120 million on it. No idea where you got 70.

Protozoid

Tonight is the second to last night Covenant will be playing in my town. Going to see it for the first time in 20 min. Kind of nervous I won't like it. I was a little too invested in Prometheus 2, folks...

FallenDarkAngel

It was already pulled out here in all theaters.  :(

YutaniDitch

Quote from: 900SL on May 31, 2017, 03:21:36 PM
As I understand it, and I quote here:

'An American motion picture studio typically gets back somewhere about 40% to 50% of the domestic box office gross a motion picture makes at the theater. A distribution fee, usually 10% to 12%, is paid to the company that distributes the film (doing much of the advertising and preparation and shipment of the copies of the film).

The movie theaters also get a significant cut, and take an increasing amount of the box office returns the longer a film is in theaters, based on the workings of the deals they have signed with the distribution company. For the first two weeks, most of the money goes to the studio; from week 3 on, increasingly more of the money goes to the movie theater.

Foreign distribution and foreign movie theaters keep more of the box office gross for themselves (often to cover the costs of transporting a motion picture overseas and promoting it there as well). American studios tend to get back something about 30% of box office money earned outside of the United States and Canad'

Based on this assessment:

Current domestic gross:  60M so the Studio may get 30-40M from that, not much more as we are beyond the first two weeks.
Overseas:  100M, the studio gets about 30M based on the above

Domestic video/streaming sales: May make 30M gross, 15M net for the studio..

So we are looking at 60- 70M return on 100M investment so far.  It might break even, even make a small profit, although China is unlikely to give a significant boost, as the %age returns are low and the film doesn't tick the right boxes with the Chinese audience (no 3-D, too much dialogue) plus ist is not seen as a hit in the US..

Where did you get that quote...? 😉👍🏻

Robopadna

Quote from: 900SL on Jun 01, 2017, 11:52:15 AM
Quote from: YutaniDitch on Jun 01, 2017, 10:37:37 AM
Where did you get that quote...? 😉👍🏻

https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-revenue-from-a-movie-get-split-among-actors-directors-and-everyone-else

There are some odd anachronistic info in there

QuoteThe movie theaters also get a significant cut, and take an increasing amount of the box office returns the longer a film is in theaters, based on the workings of the deals they have signed with the distribution company. For the first two weeks, most of the money goes to the studio; from week 3 on, increasingly more of the money goes to the movie theater.

This has largely been flattened out so I am not quite sure what they are referring to.  It used to be a pretty steep scale but that led to a lot of theatres going bankrupt as every studio simply blitzed ad campaigns for huge opening weekends and then stopped caring what happened after.  The theatres worked out a new contract that generally is a flat 50ish % across the life of the film...   they are even slightly protected by getting a higher percentage of the first X million dollar to buffer them against bombs.  They have much less financial ability to endure through repeated bombs when compared to a studio.

I do like that they discuss residuals though because so many people here seem to think that is magical Hollywood accounting and doesn't count.  it absolutely does and the studio is absolutely contractually obligated to pay them.  It is absolutely an expense that is not part of the production budget.

Corporal Hicks

QuoteAlien: Covenant grossed $954K on Wednesday.  13-Day total stands at $62.483M.

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/870362671043944448

BonesawT101

Thats its US total aye?

lv_226

Quote from: FallenDarkAngel on Jun 01, 2017, 05:08:31 AM
Still going strong here!

NickisSmart

I just saw the film, today, but the theater was dead as a graveyard. Loved the movie, but, aside from myself, my brothers and my mother, only two other people were in the room.

FallenDarkAngel

Quote from: lv_226 on Jun 02, 2017, 02:59:39 AM
Quote from: FallenDarkAngel on Jun 01, 2017, 05:08:31 AM
Still going strong here!
Good to know that!

I'm currently here in the Philippines, and I was appalled that all the cinemas here pulled out AC so early (considering the fact that AC is doing better than King Arthur that flopped here, but still being shown). So disappointed.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BonesawT101 on Jun 01, 2017, 11:08:33 PM
Thats its US total aye?

Yeah, that's right.

banecat

banecat

i remember in my showing, at 730 on the opening friday night, there was only about 30 people in there. i don't particularly get why it hasn't done better, the reviews aren't that bad. does anyone else fear that the box office performance is leading us to a reboot of the series?

Kane's other son

As long as the original movie's making money for Fox there will not be a remake.

lv_226

Quote from: banecat on Jun 02, 2017, 09:47:26 AM
i remember in my showing, at 730 on the opening friday night, there was only about 30 people in there. i don't particularly get why it hasn't done better, the reviews aren't that bad. does anyone else fear that the box office performance is leading us to a reboot of the series?
I wouldn't quite claim that yet. I think that overall the industry is seeing some issues with getting more butts in seats.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed