Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,681 times)

Alionic

Quote from: Robopadna on May 30, 2017, 09:23:11 PM
It doesn't really matter, they are roughly on the same level of flop.  They aren't going to pursue the GitS franchise either.  Covenant is a pretty solid flop just not as bad a flop as other movies.
Quote from: kwisatz on May 30, 2017, 09:35:32 PM
Covenant is an Alien franchise entry, marketed as the return of the iconic Alien, and it struggles to hit the 300? It doesnt get more flop than that, its worse than GitS actually.

Can you two please stop acting like you know what you're talking about? Covenant has yet to be released in two major markets where sci-fi films do extremely well.

Quote from: AsapJockey on May 30, 2017, 10:03:20 PM
you guys are really wanting for the studios to read this forums lol and not get this damn trilogy done

The amount of ubiquitous negativity on this forum is surreal.

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: Kerrod33 on May 31, 2017, 01:04:39 AM
Why is everyone saying this movie flopped when it is still in cinemas, made more money than its budget, still gaining revenue every single day and hasn't even been released everywhere?

You can't talk in past tense when something is still happening

stuidos didn't get all money in the box office.

Quote from: Alionic on May 31, 2017, 01:35:21 AM
Can you two please stop acting like you know what you're talking about? Covenant has yet to be released in two major markets where sci-fi films do extremely well.

I don't know about japan but chiness people love watch (a lot) Action 3D movies

Does Covenant have both ?

3D ? nope just 2D.
Action ? only third act.

and movie release after Wonder Woman,The Mummy (and before Transformers)

Kerrod33

Quote from: gantarat on May 31, 2017, 01:37:22 AM
Quote from: Kerrod33 on May 31, 2017, 01:04:39 AM
Why is everyone saying this movie flopped when it is still in cinemas, made more money than its budget, still gaining revenue every single day and hasn't even been released everywhere?

You can't talk in past tense when something is still happening

stuidos didn't all money in the box office.

Your spelling and grammar is the real flop. I have no idea what you said lol

Mustangjeff

Mustangjeff

The percentage drops tells me that word of mouth isn't driving people to see it.  The fans went during the first week and aren't recommending the film to anyone else.  If you look at Rotten Tomatoes, the fan ratings is 10% LESS than the critics (71% vs 61%).

Compare that to a film like Guardians Vol 2. The audience rating is 9% higher than the critics.  The new Pirates film is even more lopsided with a critic score of 32% and an audience score of 73%.

My theory is that fans went and saw it once, never recommended it, and never went to see it again.  Obviously some people on this site saw it many times, but we don't represent the average ALIEN fan base.

Also..  I haven't seen a TV ad for covenant since the movie was released.

Hemi

Re-release Halloween, possibly 3D. Problem solved.

Denton Smalls

Word of mouth, maybe. I think, as someone (I forget who) pointed out earlier, the studio just overestimated the broadness of the target audience.

The Alien series seems to have been relegated to cult classic status. Who knows, maybe this film will pick up steam over time the way Blade Runner did.

dkwookie

Ok I have an example I want the box office experts here to explain. Olympus Has Fallen.
Budget $70 million
WW box office take $161 million
By all the expert analysis mentioned in this thread that film is a "flop". A big flop
But they made a sequel, London Has Fallen, which by the way made $205 mil off a $60 mil budget and has another sequel in development.
I said it before in this thread, there are too many armchair box office "experts" who wholesale believe the Hollywood accounting myths

Jonesy1974

Quote from: Dkwookie on May 31, 2017, 11:54:07 AM
Ok I have an example I want the box office experts here to explain. Olympus Has Fallen.
Budget $70 million
By all the expert analysis mentioned in this thread that film is a "flop". A big flop
But they made a sequel, London Has Fallen, which by the way made $205 mil off a $60 mil budget and has another sequel in development.
I said it before in this thread, there are too many armchair box office "experts" who wholesale believe the Hollywood accounting myths

Well I'm not one of the experts around here but I'm guessing they will say its because $98 of the BO was domestic takings and the studio gets a bigger percentage domestically than foreign BO. I'm just guessing though.

Gash

Quote from: kwisatz on May 30, 2017, 06:46:44 PM
...I personally know no one...

That explains a lot.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Budget $70 million

You can make money off of movies in many ways.  You not understanding why a movie is greenlit doesn't mean the box office analysis was wrong.  A movie can be greenlit for many different reasons, even if the prior one flopped.

here are some reason why that have virtually nothing to do with the box office returns on the prior movie.

An individual greenlit the first one and either considers it his pet project or he's in so far with commitment they will be damned if they aren't making a sequel to prove them right.
The studio desperately needs franchise movies in its portfolio and is willing to take a loss if it thinks the next will be a hit
They had a particular investment arrangement with other backers that shielded (and continues to shield them) from any real risk exposure.
They could have an arrangement with a star or director that if they do this the studio will back a pet project of theirs
They could simply predict a different marketing strategy over seas will make massive changes in profit
They desperately need a movie in a release window and this is the one that is furthest along in development so they are making it
The studio itself just has a strong fondness for a franchise

There are so many reasons that you can get a sequel when the first one flopped.

Just because you don't understand the number doesn't mean there are not people who do.  Nothing is that mystifying.  Numbers are numbers.

dkwookie

Quote from: Robopadna on May 31, 2017, 12:35:41 PM
Budget $70 million

You can make money off of movies in many ways.  You not understanding why a movie is greenlit doesn't mean the box office analysis was wrong.  A movie can be greenlit for many different reasons, even if the prior one flopped.

Just because you don't understand the number doesn't mean there are not people who do.  Nothing is that mystifying.  Numbers are numbers.

If we agree on that then it's not as black and white as the hard totals make out. If so then some of the concrete opinions on what is and isn't a flop need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Dkwookie on May 31, 2017, 12:41:35 PM
Budget $70 million

If we agree on that then it's not as black and white as the hard totals make out. If so then some of the concrete opinions on what is and isn't a flop need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

No, it's pretty obvious when a movie flops, is close or is in the positive.  This particular movie is clearly in the flop category at the moment.  Sure, China COULD change that but I am predicting it won't do as well as people here are desperately hoping it will and it won't make a last second 200 million or whatever.

The making of a sequel could have little to do with the box office performance of the first.  It happens.  See my previous post.

dkwookie

Quote from: Robopadna on May 31, 2017, 12:45:17 PM
Budget $70 million

No, it's pretty obvious when a movie flops, is close or is in the positive.  This particular movie is clearly in the flop category at the moment.  Sure, China COULD change that but I am predicting it won't do as well as people here are desperately hoping it will and it won't make a last second 200 million or whatever.

Well looking at the numbers it's pretty obvious Olympus Has Fallen flopped but a sequel was made. I guess the investors liked throwing good money after bad or perhaps the box office threshold for a flop is not black and white.
What I am trying to say is that we have no idea what Foxs threshold is for this film.
A flop for me is King Arthur, The Lone Ranger, John Carter. They are black and white clear flops. Alien Covemant making lets say 220 mil ww from 93 mil budget....that's not black and white enough for me to call a flop

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Dkwookie on May 31, 2017, 12:54:07 PM
Budget $70 million

Well looking at the numbers it's pretty obvious Olympus Has Fallen flopped but a sequel was made. I guess the investors liked throwing good money after bad or perhaps the box office threshold for a flop is not black and white.
What I am trying to say is that we have no idea what Foxs threshold is for this film.
A flop for me is King Arthur, The Lone Ranger, John Carter. They are black and white clear flops. Alien Covemant making lets say 220 mil ww from 93 mil budget....that's not black and white enough for me to call a flop

I know what you are trying to say and you are not entirely correct.  I told you why a sequel might be made despite the first losing money.  Alien making 220 WW on a 97 (not sure where you got 93 from now) is pretty clearly a flop.  Now if YOU don't want to call it a flop, that's fine.  But plenty of people with a much better understanding of the box office can tell you that is the category it is sitting in.

Again, look at my previous post.

When you say we don't know their threshold...   do you mean threshold for making a sequel?  If that is what you mean then you are absolutely correct, we don't know what they will consider necessary to make a sequel.  My guess is they are making that sequel come hell or high water.

People here are way too sensitive.  A movie flopping or not is not being negative or positive.  It's not making any sort of evaluation on its worth as a piece of art.  Incredible movies bomb (Blade Runner for instance) and critically panned movies dominate (transformers series).  The financial results of a movie aren't an evaluation on your worth for liking them or not.

I thought Covenant was pretty decent (solid 6-7/10).  I would have liked it to do well.  It isn't.  Things happen in life.

dkwookie

Quote from: Robopadna on May 31, 2017, 12:55:37 PM
Quote from: Dkwookie on May 31, 2017, 12:54:07 PM
Budget $70 million

I know what you are trying to say and you are not entirely correct.  I told you why a sequel might be made despite the first losing money.  Alien making 220 WW on a 97 (not sure where you got 93 from now) is pretty clearly a flop.  Now if YOU don't want to call it a flop, that's fine.  But plenty of people with a much better understanding of the box office can tell you that is the category it is sitting in.

Again, look at my previous post.

I guess time will tell the tale. Let's see how China and Japan do before calling it though. As I said earlier in the thread I would have never have laid a bet that Resi TFC would make so much money over there so we never know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed