Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,681 times)

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Aquarius8 on May 30, 2017, 03:32:29 AM
I honestly feel like Ridley can't win at this point.  They complained about the lack of Alien and then on "Covenant" he tries to bring that back and he still criticized. George Lucas also was criticized heavily for trying to tell Vader's full story.  Ridley only tried to tell the origin story for the Engineers but people criticized him.
Let's be perfectly clear: Ridley and Lucas have something in common. Their prequel stories are stupid. Ridley's version of the Engineer tale makes no sense. The Engineers left maps for humanity to their top-secret weapons development facility, and the galaxy's dumbest smart people went there for a visit. Almost every decision these people make turns out to be a bad decision, and we get a weird-looking donosaur at the very end to sort of remind us this was an Alien prequel. Everything in Covenant is about androids who look like Fassbender. All other priorities are rescinded. Lucas, meanwhile, made Vader into a whiny, obnoxious brat whose turn to the dark side is flimsy and also makes no sense. Both have piss-poor characterizations of many characters in their movies. Prometheus hasn't aged well, Covenant is not especially loved, and much of the SW prequel trilogy is practically swept under the rug in current SW canon. Both deserve the criticism they've received and continue to receive.

TL;DR: Both the Alien prequels and the SW prequels could have been fixed with better writing!

Salt The Fries

Let's be clear, George Lucas was finished after THX-1138 and this was his only good film in his repertoire while Ridley Scott as flawed, chimeric as he is, is a proper artist bordering on genius.

Quote from: N-Shifter on May 30, 2017, 06:50:35 PM
Quote from: kwisatz on May 30, 2017, 06:46:44 PM
Lol @ people claiming this film is well received. It has fallen under 7 at imdb and i personally know no one who actually enjoyed this fassbender show crap.

I haven't met anybody that didn't enjoy it, funny how that works right? People only seem to know people that agree with their point of view :P

It's called confirmation bias...

D. Compton Ambrose

It is quite obvious the Alien series is going in a different direction after Covenant, but still going nevertheless.

kwisatz

Quote from: Salt The Fries on May 30, 2017, 07:08:37 PM
Let's be clear, George Lucas was finished after THX-1138 and this was his only good film in his repertoire while Ridley Scott as flawed, chimeric as he is, is a proper artist bordering on genius.

Its called stating opinion as fact...

Protozoid

Quote from: kwisatz on May 30, 2017, 07:25:09 PM

It's a silly opinion, too. I like all of Lucas's movies, but they all occupy different positions in the pop art spectrum. If you want to go full arty, yeah, THX is the only one for you. American Graffiti and Star Wars are huge huge huge artistic accomplishments, however pop they may be.

gantarat

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on May 30, 2017, 06:59:10 PM
Quote from: Aquarius8 on May 30, 2017, 03:32:29 AM
I honestly feel like Ridley can't win at this point.  They complained about the lack of Alien and then on "Covenant" he tries to bring that back and he still criticized. George Lucas also was criticized heavily for trying to tell Vader's full story.  Ridley only tried to tell the origin story for the Engineers but people criticized him.
Let's be perfectly clear: Ridley and Lucas have something in common. Their prequel stories are stupid. Ridley's version of the Engineer tale makes no sense. The Engineers left maps for humanity to their top-secret weapons development facility, and the galaxy's dumbest smart people went there for a visit. Almost every decision these people make turns out to be a bad decision, and we get a weird-looking donosaur at the very end to sort of remind us this was an Alien prequel. Everything in Covenant is about androids who look like Fassbender. All other priorities are rescinded. Lucas, meanwhile, made Vader into a whiny, obnoxious brat whose turn to the dark side is flimsy and also makes no sense. Both have piss-poor characterizations of many characters in their movies. Prometheus hasn't aged well, Covenant is not especially loved, and much of the SW prequel trilogy is practically swept under the rug in current SW canon. Both deserve the criticism they've received and continue to receive.

TL;DR: Both the Alien prequels and the SW prequels could have been fixed with better writing!

New Canon Has a lot Prequel Element and Mace Windu Solo comics will release in august after Darth Maul.

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Protozoid on May 30, 2017, 07:28:39 PM

It's a silly opinion, too. I like all of Lucas's movies, but they all occupy different positions in the pop art spectrum. If you want to go full arty, yeah, THX is the only one for you. American Graffiti and Star Wars are huge huge huge artistic accomplishments, however pop they may be.
In this respect, from going between artsy and accessible to mainstream audiences, I think Stephen Spielberg did a whole lot better job. Of course it is an opinion. It never was anything else.

SpeedyMaxx

Ridley's done many brilliant films but the man who made Hannibal, Exodus, Someone to Watch Over Me and several others is no genius. He's had his fair share of blunders. He is a brilliant visualist and businessman. He is not an artist on par with David Lynch.

SuicideDoors

https://twitter.com/BORReport/status/869634468230774784

Covenant did a little better than was initially reported over the 4-day weekend. I guess $80million has to be the target though it's far off.

Protozoid

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 30, 2017, 07:44:09 PM
Ridley's done many brilliant films but the man who made Hannibal, Exodus, Someone to Watch Over Me and several others is no genius. He's had his fair share of blunders. He is a brilliant visualist and businessman. He is not an artist on par with David Lynch.
You picked three Ridley movies I think are pretty decent. I would have gone with Legend, G.I. Jane, and Robin Hood, maybe.

And Lynch may be the top living filmmaker, so unfair comparison? Ridley is one of the few working directors with his own unique style that doesn't owe something to Lynch, so that's something to respect. I would call him a genius. But Lynch is the complete package, and that's rare, like Bergman or Kubrick rare.

Alionic

Quote from: LiquidMonster on May 30, 2017, 12:41:24 PM
So Ridley should be thanking Neil for Alien: Covenant because it got people talking about ALIEN again. Fox greenlit A:C based on Neil's popular/positive ALIEN V concept story with Weaver, Biehn, possibly Henrikson and an older Newt actress. Nobody will convince me otherwise. For all intents and purposes, "Prometheus 2" was dead until Neil Blomkamp "resurrected" the "ALIEN" talk. Quite funny really. Cheers!

Don't know another way of putting it, but all of this is patently false. Prometheus made Fox a boatload of money, and they have publicly announced intentions on pursuing a sequel with Scott shortly after that film's release.

Prof. a

Quote from: Alionic on May 30, 2017, 07:56:28 PM
Quote from: LiquidMonster on May 30, 2017, 12:41:24 PM
So Ridley should be thanking Neil for Alien: Covenant because it got people talking about ALIEN again. Fox greenlit A:C based on Neil's popular/positive ALIEN V concept story with Weaver, Biehn, possibly Henrikson and an older Newt actress. Nobody will convince me otherwise. For all intents and purposes, "Prometheus 2" was dead until Neil Blomkamp "resurrected" the "ALIEN" talk. Quite funny really. Cheers!

Don't know another way of putting it, but all of this is patently false. Prometheus made Fox a boatload of money, and they have publicly announced intentions on pursuing a sequel with Scott shortly after that film's release.

Very true. Box Office reports circulating after the dismal financial result of Scott's The Counselor indicated that Prometheus's financial success was the key in greenlighting that movie.

According to some people's calculations (which are totally off-base), Prometheus would've had to generate 3 or 4 times its budget to recoup expenses, somewhere in the range of 360-480 million. This would've meant that Prometheus' 400 million was a failure - however, it was not. 400 million on a 120 million budget is a good financial result.

Same remains true for Covenant - it doesn't need to gross 300 or 400 million to recoup expenses.

PierreVW

Quote from: Salt The Fries on May 30, 2017, 07:34:32 PM
Quote from: Protozoid on May 30, 2017, 07:28:39 PM

In this respect, from going between artsy and accessible to mainstream audiences, I think Stephen Spielberg did a whole lot better job. Of course it is an opinion. It never was anything else.

I agree.

I think George Lucas is very Overrated. He directed only 6 movies in 45 years. His style was a bad copy of Akira Kurosawa.

Sir Ridley Scott is a Far Better Director than George Lucas.

dkwookie

Each to their own, I loved Hannibal but walked out of the cinema halfway through Naked Lunch.

Ingwar

Quote from: Dkwookie on May 30, 2017, 08:37:20 PM

Each to their own, I loved Hannibal but walked out of the cinema halfway through Naked Lunch.

David Cronenberg directed Naked Lunch. Maybe you meant Inland Empire. I love Lynch but his last movie is utter crap.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed