Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,617 times)

Kronnang_Dunn

"Alien: Covenant" has not been released in China (June 16) and Japan (September 15), two very important foreign film markets. So, is actually kind of premature to call it a "flop"...  ::)

Jonesy1974

Quote from: LiquidMonster on May 30, 2017, 12:54:01 PM
Lance addressed this at the 30th Anniversary ALIENS panel last year. It seemed like he was pitching to get into Blomkamp's movie(which at the time was causing massive positive publicity for Fox and the Alien franchise) by saying his appearance wouldn't need changing because Bishop was designed to grow old with his crew-Ripley, Hicks, etc to make them feel more comfortable and "not out of place". I thought it was a great idea.

The last thing I would want is to watch old versions of these characters. Watching Harrison Ford play an old Indy or Han Solo just makes me feel sad and want to watch the old movies to see him in his prime.

Positive publicity or not the actual realities of the film would have not been desirable at all.

SyntaX

Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 30, 2017, 01:08:01 PM
Lance addressed this at the 30th Anniversary ALIENS panel last year. It seemed like he was pitching to get into Blomkamp's movie(which at the time was causing massive positive publicity for Fox and the Alien franchise) by saying his appearance wouldn't need changing because Bishop was designed to grow old with his crew-Ripley, Hicks, etc to make them feel more comfortable and "not out of place". I thought it was a great idea.

The last thing I would want is to watch old versions of these characters. Watching Harrison Ford play an old Indy or Han Solo just makes me feel sad and want to watch the old movies to see him in his prime.

Positive publicity or not the actual realities of the film would have not been desirable at all.

What kind of comment is this?  ::)
Actors grow old. Ageing is a natural proces.
Having the actors reprise their roles makes it connect with the previous movies and makes it easier to connect to the audience again. Most of the people that go see a movie (sequel) knows who the character is. Making it much easier for the director.

The fact that people are still talking about Blomkamp's Alien 5 is a good thing and I'd love to see it happen one day. He'll, Ridley Scott could make his sequel to Covenant and Blomkamp should be allowed to finish it all up.

Robopadna

Robopadna

Quote from: Kronnang_Dunn on May 30, 2017, 01:06:19 PM
"Alien: Covenant" has not been released in China (June 16) and Japan (September 15), two very important foreign film markets. So, is actually kind of premature to call it a "flop"...  ::)

I think Covenant has firmly established itself as a box office flop.

The markets you listed aren't going to have huge influences overall.  It will be moderate at best.  I think it will under perform Prometheus so it will probably be under 21 in Japan, meaning the studio gets 8.  Who knows about China but I'm not predicting a franchise saving performance.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SyntaX on May 30, 2017, 01:14:20 PM
Quote from: Jonesy1974 on May 30, 2017, 01:08:01 PM

Actors grow old. Ageing is a natural proces.
Having the actors reprise their roles makes it connect with the previous movies and makes it easier to connect to the audience again. Most of the people that go see a movie (sequel) knows who the character is. Making it much easier for the director.

The fact that people are still talking about Blomkamp's Alien 5 is a good thing and I'd love to see it happen one day. He'll, Ridley Scott could make his sequel to Covenant and Blomkamp should be allowed to finish it all up.

Its a perfectly valid comment. Yes actors grow old and I enjoy watching them in roles that suit them at that age. What I don't like watching is old actors trying to recapture former glories by returning to previous roles. It doesn't work. Particularly when said characters are already dead!

I would quite happily see an Alien 5 if it had completely new characters, a completely new story and a completely different director.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Yes, but they get less money per ticket sold in China and its also going up against a 3D Transformers (3D being very popular in China, as is Transformers from what I have read).

I was optimistic, and now I don't even see this movie making anywhere near the money spent on production, distribution, marketing, etc. Maybe the digital and bluray sales can make up for it, but I highly doubt there being much interest in that outside of dedicated fans of the franchise. Pretty sure we are done with the prequel series and we will probably get a reboot with a VERY limited budget in a decade or two.

Kane's other son

Blomkamp's Alien is pretty much Terminator Genisys all over again. A sequel featuring aging stars, retconning and disregarding older entries in the series, trying to directly attach itself to "the last good one".

A disaster waiting to happen. It didn't work for the Terminator, it didn't work for Superman, it won't work for Alien(s).

Gash

Gash

Accurate?

Actors grow old. Ageing is a natural process.

Of course. But you've only got to look at Blomkamp's concept art to see he hasn't moved these familiar characters on. They are simply playing elderly versions of their 1986 selves - pulse rifles and all. Arguably even Waterston's a little old to be dangling off a rope at 37 but Weaver still playing the Rambo version of Ripley pushing 70 - nah.

palerider

palerider

Quote from: cucuchu on May 30, 2017, 01:23:33 PM

Yes, but they get less money per ticket sold in China and its also going up against a 3D Transformers (3D being very popular in China, as is Transformers from what I have read).

I was optimistic, and now I don't even see this movie making anywhere near the money spent on production, distribution, marketing, etc. Maybe the digital and bluray sales can make up for it, but I highly doubt there being much interest in that outside of dedicated fans of the franchise. Pretty sure we are done with the prequel series and we will probably get a reboot with a VERY limited budget in a decade or two.

....and lets not forget, China is the capital of piracy, The dvd's are out by now. I can see the pirate version on many web sites. It is destined to be a "flop".

cucuchu

Agreed, but I will say that it could still be done. Sigourney Weaver is pretty fit and active lately, far more than most people her age, so its not entirely out of the question.

I will say that if they don't do it soon, and I mean VERY soon, it will never happen. Its not just her but Hicks and Bishop (if he was to be included), all actors aging. Two or three more years down the line, it probably has no chance of working vs the slight chance of it working IF they do it right. Big IF.

Aquarius8

Aquarius8

Quote from: Kane's other son on May 30, 2017, 01:25:34 PM
Blomkamp's Alien is pretty much Terminator Genisys all over again. A sequel featuring aging stars, retconning and disregarding older entries in the series, trying to directly attach itself to "the last good one".

A disaster waiting to happen. It didn't work for the Terminator, it didn't work for Superman, it won't work for Alien(s).

Even though I did like some of the concept art, I agree with this.   After some time thinking about it, "Alien V" could end up like you said "Terminator V" did.   "Genisys' was a mess and completely messed with T1 and T2 Timelines unnecessarily.   This idea that we need to erase "Alien 3" doesn't work for me now that I've really think about it.   "Resurrection" takes place so far into the future I don't worry about it as far as the Alien-Aliens-Alien3 timeline and Ripley's complete story.  I know Ripley is the biggest draw to the franchise but I don't see "Alien V" working out like "Jurassic World" or "The Force Awakens" as far as Nostalgia really boosting those films.   

I see it working like you said more like "Genisys".  Plus Blomkamp is coming off some flops and underperformers.   I think they need to continue to go in a different direction.  I love Sigonery for life but it just to hard to bring the character back based on what happen in "Alien 3".   Now do we need some different directors?  Sure, after Ridley finishes the prequel films, you could bring in some fresh eyes to the franchise.  But it has to be a new timeline with new characters.  The point is "Alien" is going on 40 years old, the franchise is Legendary and it's not going to end.   But they have to figure out something for the future of the franchise because "Alien V" as a "Aliens" sequel probably is off the table now. 

cucuchu

Quote from: Aquarius8 on May 30, 2017, 01:49:32 PM
Quote from: Kane's other son on May 30, 2017, 01:25:34 PM

Even though I did like some of the concept art, I agree with this.   After some time thinking about it, "Alien V" could end up like you said "Terminator V" did.   "Genisys' was a mess and completely messed with T1 and T2 Timelines unnecessarily.   This idea that we need to erase "Alien 3" doesn't work for me now that I've really think about it.   "Resurrection" takes place so far into the future I don't worry about it as far as the Alien-Aliens-Alien3 timeline and Ripley's complete story.  I know Ripley is the biggest draw to the franchise but I don't see "Alien V" working out like "Jurassic World" or "The Force Awakens" as far as Nostalgia really boosting those films.   

I see it working like you said more like "Genisys".  Plus Blomkamp is coming off some flops and underperformers.   I think they need to continue to go in a different direction.  I love Sigonery for life but it just to hard to bring the character back based on what happen in "Alien 3".   Now do we need some different directors?  Sure, after Ridley finishes the prequel films, you could bring in some fresh eyes to the franchise.  But it has to be a new timeline with new characters.  The point is "Alien" is going on 40 years old, the franchise is Legendary and it's not going to end.   But they have to figure out something for the future of the franchise because "Alien V" as a "Aliens" sequel probably is off the table now.

I'm fairly confident the Alien cinematic films are finished for the time being. Its my favorite fictional universe, and yes it is legendary to those of us here, but to the vast majority its extremely insignificant and people that I talk to seem to view in the same light as Halloween and Friday the 13th. The perception of the franchise, along with it being long in tooth, coupled with the general audience just not caring about creature horror anymore (its a horse that has been beat the death and overcooked entirely) is what will make bringing the franchise back to its former glory impossible. I think Covenant will be Fox's coming to terms with the fact that the Alien franchise is not going to be profitable in the medium of films. Comics? Yes. Video games? Somewhat. That is it though.

The best we can hope for is something most of us don't want which is an overhaul/reboot of the series. Take it in a more giger, almost cthun-type direction where you depict the true isolation of space with something horrifying in a unique way that keeps people mentally engaged as well. There is potential with Giger's designs, but I think being tethered to the franchise in its current form will never allow that potential to be realized.

juxtapose

i love alien 3. .especially the assembly cut. .i don't like the ending tho. .why thats like ending a franchise prematurely. .weather u like weaver or not. . She kinda was such a pivotal part of the whole franchise. .why kill the character?. .if she does return at the age of 70. .then she can be an advisor of sorts. .hand over the reigns to a younger protagonist. .i think that was the whole idea with blomkamps movie. .but pretending that alien 3 and resurrection never happened. .that would have been tricky. .unless they time travel. .wich is not something i am fond of in movies. . .look what it did to the terminator franchise?!

Game_Over_Man

Game_Over_Man

Quote from: oduodu on May 29, 2017, 11:23:19 AM
I disagree. Weaver as Ripley the protaganist against the alien the antagonist was at least 65% what made aliens great. Cameron was the rest.

I'd go further, it's Weaver and the depth she brought to the franchise that made it such a draw. Moreso than the Xeno's - yes, they are perverse and fascinating, but it was Ripley standing up like a charismatic union leader against the greedy corporation that made the story.

Want to bring back the big box office? Give is Weaver up against another pencil dIck corporate guy...that's the magic combo. The political climate is perfect for this, how they haven't embraced it I'll never know.

Robopadna

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on May 30, 2017, 02:24:42 PM
Quote from: oduodu on May 29, 2017, 11:23:19 AM
I disagree. Weaver as Ripley the protaganist against the alien the antagonist was at least 65% what made aliens great. Cameron was the rest.

I'd go further, it's Weaver and the depth she brought to the franchise that made it such a draw. Moreso than the Xeno's - yes, they are perverse and fascinating, but it was Ripley standing up like a charismatic union leader against the greedy corporation that made the story.

Want to bring back the big box office? Give is Weaver up against another pencil dIck corporate guy...that's the magic combo. The political climate is perfect for this, how they haven't embraced it I'll never know.

I have 100% 0 interest in that ans I would hate to see this movie try to shift its themes to current political satire.  I swear I never want to see Weaver in another Alien movie or have the tired and rehashed evil corporate guy show up again.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed