Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,618 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: oduodu on May 28, 2017, 10:14:45 PM
If Scott made a movie to please the masses then the movie must please the masses . Box office numbers so far shows otherwise .

Scott made (in his own way) a movie to please the fans. Especially to please those who hated Prometheus.

BishopShouldGo

It felt cynically made.

Gash

If Scott made a movie to please the masses then the movie must please the masses . Box office numbers so far shows otherwise .

Quote from: Protozoid on May 28, 2017, 09:51:49 PM
I don't blame audiences for not wanting to see a movie that doesn't look very interesting.

The blame goes to whichever person turned Prometheus 2 into an Alien prequel.  I know this isn't the forum for this statement, but I think the Alien franchise is what turned people off.  People like all the same elements when it is called Prometheus, and both movies got similar reviews.  The only difference is the fact that it's an overt, unabashed Alien movie.  I have to assume that the Alien franchise has overstayed its welcome with the general public.

It an alien movie that we have seen many times before without weaver. The android is only effective in the story when it was subjected to human ownership. Now free it seems human all by itself ? What motivates it to destroy the engineers ? He stood in awe of the engineers in Prometheus - "no doubt a superior species" and now? A bunch of morons ? Right there 's the problem.

"Mortal after all" 

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on May 28, 2017, 10:34:54 PM

Scott made (in his own way) a movie to please the fans. Especially to please those who hated Prometheus.

But has he made a movie to please the fans? Are the fans pleased ?

Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 10:50:40 PM

Quote from: Protozoid on May 28, 2017, 09:51:49 PM
I don't blame audiences for not wanting to see a movie that doesn't look very interesting.

The blame goes to whichever person turned Prometheus 2 into an Alien prequel.  I know this isn't the forum for this statement, but I think the Alien franchise is what turned people off.  People like all the same elements when it is called Prometheus, and both movies got similar reviews.  The only difference is the fact that it's an overt, unabashed Alien movie.  I have to assume that the Alien franchise has overstayed its welcome with the general public.

It an alien movie that we have seen many times before without weaver. The android is only effective in the story when it was subjected to human ownership. Now free it seems human all by itself ? What motivates it to destroy the engineers ? He stood in awe of the engineers in Prometheus - "no doubt a superior species" and now? A bunch of morons ? Right there 's the problem.

"Mortal after all"

Doesn't mean they were a bunch of morons . Doesn't mean they weren't superior to us,

Gash

Quote from: oduodu on May 28, 2017, 10:50:46 PM

Mostly, according to the fan poll.

I've been a fan since 79, I'm more than pleased with Covenant.

oduodu

Fair enough. I just don t think the fan base is big enough for that.  Prometheus existed because it wanted to introduce a whole new generation Of fans to the lore while starting a new one. Covenant completely doesn't achieve any of that while failing at the box office as a "homage fest" cash cow to keep financial viability of the serious alive until awakening returned to the roots (perhaps) of the series.  Maybe China will do the trick.

Gash

Quote from: oduodu on May 28, 2017, 11:06:33 PM
Fair enough. I just don t think the fan base is big enough for that.  Prometheus existed because it wanted to introduce a whole new generation Of fans to the lore while starting a new one. Covenant completely doesn't achieve any of that while failing at the box office as a "homage fest" cash cow to keep financial viability of the serious alive until awakening returned to the roots (perhaps) of the series.  Maybe China will do the trick.

It has homage within it, but tells it's own story.

DestinyCaptain

Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 10:54:41 PM
Quote from: oduodu on May 28, 2017, 10:50:46 PM

Mostly, according to the fan poll.

I've been a fan since 79, I'm more than pleased with Covenant.

Well, there's the issue. I don't personally know any fans that like it. I also don't personally know any casual viewers that didn't think it wasn't downright stupid. That's about 10 people all together, fans and casuals combined.

This certainly not a scientific number by any stretch of the imagination. However, this is not a good thing in general.  I'm wondering if it's also not sign of where the fan base is.

If they really liked the movie, they'd see it repeatedly and they'd drag loved ones to see it. If casuals really liked it, they'd coax others to see it. The film is just not cutting it with people.

This observation is not a slight on anyone that likes it. I am genuinely glad that these people enjoyed it. It sux when you are exited to see a film and when you finally do, it disappoints you deeply. That's a downer.

shawsbaby

Yikes. A:C only made $10 million this weekend. $57 million domestic so far, $101 international, $158 total.

dookie

Quote from: harlequinade on May 28, 2017, 03:44:36 PM
https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice/status/868838168996462592

That's a mega drop.

The beast is cooked. Everyone, including Ridley himself, knew it except for those dumbass Fox execs. Good riddance.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3439492/pirates-sink-alien-covenant-box-office/

"Early estimates are in and they're brutal.

Not since the Friday the 13th remake can I recall a drop like this as Twentieth Century Fox's Alien: Covenant was burned by Baywatch and sunk by Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. In fact, the Friday estimates were so bad that Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 beat out Ridley Scott's Prometheus sequel/Alien prequel."

Quote from: Snake on May 28, 2017, 09:30:45 PMRight! If Covenant is the final encore so be it. IMO, when I read some of hate-filled posts of the so-called fans here, comparing it to Resurrection and AVP:R (which were AWFUL!), we don't even deserve another film.

Can we drop the questioning of the fan-status of those who didn't (or did) like the movie please?

Richman678

I still don't know why they pushed this movie to release now??? August looks much better.

Even then Prometheus isn't really considered "sequel worthy"

I don't know. I hope they let Ridley finish his trilogy, but i also haven't been impressed with it.

echobbase79

I don't think the beast is cooked, Covenant simply wasn't about the Aliens. It was about creation and a robot that hated humanity. For 80% of the movie I was in, but the last act just zipped by so fast so Ridley could get back to David and his story. That's why the movie tanked in my opinion.

Protozoid

If the aliens are detracting from the story Ridley wants to tell, that is a problem in itself.  Some people still want to see the xenomorphs, sure, but apparently most movie-goers want more out of a movie.

cucuchu

Quote from: shawsbaby on May 29, 2017, 12:56:19 AM
Yikes. A:C only made $10 million this weekend. $57 million domestic so far, $101 international, $158 total.

In the hallowed words of Morse (Danny Webb's character from Alien3):

f**k!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed