Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,593 times)

Alionic

The Martian will subsidize Alien: Covenant for Ridley.

cucuchu

Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 05:25:16 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 28, 2017, 05:17:25 PM
I feel exhausted making sense of anything because the writers/directors might not even bother making sense of anything themselves.

Really? I'm not finding it that hard to make sense of.

I am talking about the issues such as space jockey being bigger than engineer, the short life cycle compared to first movie, aliens behaving like idiots in Covenant vs somewhat intelligent in Alien, etc.

Robopadna

Quote from: Alionic on May 28, 2017, 05:54:36 PM
The Martian will subsidize Alien: Covenant for Ridley.

That isn't how it works. Fox won't make movies for budgets they know they won't even come close to recouping.

Also Ridley needs a lot of subsidizing after exodus and covenant.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

Quote from: Denton Smalls on May 28, 2017, 05:37:47 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 28, 2017, 04:25:57 PM
Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 04:21:34 PM
Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on May 28, 2017, 04:03:32 PM
Good. The movie was terrible. Franchise needs another rest after two crap films back to back. I don't want a third film to finish this garbage, at this point I no longer give a damn about where the aliens came from anymore. Thanks, Ridley.

Yes, thanks Ridley for giving me two films better than the piss poor sequels. (Ok - Alien3 was decent too). Shame the audience is too juvenile to appreciate an expansion of the themes, or too daft to go out and see it for themselves. Such is life. At least the tiresome fan boys are dropping like flies.

I think it's pretty short sighted to blame it on the audience. There are some pretty bad problems in the movies. And alien is turning out to not be the tentpole franchise fox wanted it to be and thought it might be.

The box office results have been horrific to say the least.

I don't like using the abrupt term "this" to express agreement, but, well, this. ^^^

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2017, 05:05:28 PM
Honestly, I don't think Alienkamp would be any better at this point. I wonder if we're getting closer to that ever inevitable and just as unwanted reboot/remake.

Also - https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/28/box-office-alien-covenant-suffers-brutal-71-drop-as-guardians-2-tops-guardians/#67e2795e67e2

71%. Horrific. Do we think this will serve as a humbling experience to Scott, or is he just too old and established to truly care at this point?

Scott has endured FAR larger bombs than Covenant (1492 and Legend come to mind). The only thing this will change is the budget Fox gives him for the 3rd one, if there will even be a third one...

Gash

Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on May 28, 2017, 05:16:18 PM
The level of denial and "its the audience's fault!" behavior being displayed here is sad. Predictable, but still sad.

And yes, a reboot is EXACTLY what this franchise needs. Its needed one for over twenty years.

Not as sad and delusional as those that regard Covenant as the worst in the franchise. Now that is sad.

No reboot required. If it ends here so be it. David as creator drifting into space with 2000 humans to experiment on. Nice grim mystery ending.

Worse thing that could happen is some atrocious perceived fan service in colonial marines vs aliens - awful. Alien existed before 1986.

BonesawT101

Exactly what Gash said!

Spidey3121

I said prior to release that the film was set up for success from a scheduling & marketing stand point. I still believe that. Unfortunately, general audiences simply weren't interested, or so it would seem. A 71% decline is atrocious, made even worse by the fact that it's Memorial Day weekend.

I don't know if a Ripley fronted Alien 5 would perform any better. Nostalgia is in, but it's hit or miss. Jurassic World cleaned up whereas Independence Day Resurgence was largely ignored. Of course, quality may play a factor. I'm someone who is open to such a film happening, even though I adore Alien 3.

Why does this franchise need a reboot? What constitutes a reboot in your eyes? Resurrection, though a direct sequel to Alien 3, surely sought to renew fan interest in the franchise. Prometheus, while a prequel, once again attempt to bring audiences back into that world. If by reboot you mean remake however, then that's something I don't have any interest in.

I don't know what would pull in new, or old, audiences at this juncture. I found Covenant disappointing. No, it's not the worst film in the franchise given there's still Alien Resurrection, but I'd rank it behind everything else.

Russ840

Quote from: cucuchu on May 28, 2017, 05:56:17 PM
I feel exhausted making sense of anything because the writers/directors might not even bother making sense of anything themselves.

I am talking about the issues such as space jockey being bigger than engineer, the short life cycle compared to first movie, aliens behaving like idiots in Covenant vs somewhat intelligent in Alien, etc.

The jockey and Engineer size difference will likely just be artist licensing and the other stuff is easy to explain.  The Alien is different so the cycle can be also.

Ingwar

Worldwide:    $158,356,462   

Bob Saget

From deadline:

"another $10.8M from 77 markets, Fox and Ridley's Scott's Alien: Covenant just crossed the $100M threshold after experiencing some decent holds in certain markets — Russia is still No. 2 in the market in its sophomore frame after pulling in another $1.1M this weekend, for instance.

Likewise in Germany, it's held on well for the No. 3 spot in its second weekend where it grabbed $914K. In the UK, it took in about $939K (weekend 3) and in France $914K (also week 3).

Remember, this one still has yet to bow in China or Japan, which it will do on June 16 and Sept.. 15, respectively. Overall, it has a cume after this weekend of $101M. Its global take is $161.5M."

http://deadline.com/2017/05/pirates-5-dead-men-tell-no-tales-international-debut-box-office-global-take-disney-1202103717/

YutaniDitch

Quote from: Russ840 on May 28, 2017, 07:17:47 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 28, 2017, 05:56:17 PM

The jockey and Engineer size difference will likely just be artist licensing and the other stuff is easy to explain.  The Alien is different so the cycle can be also.

So, the Xeno chestburster regresses to larvae form after being fully fledged chestburster generations earlier...!? That is very contradictive of Darwin's Laws of Evolution... Like the egg preceding the Queen in just a couple decades... The Xeno only difference is that it had a human host and was somehow created in a very filthy, contaminated underground catacomb of a pseudo-lab...😂💩

Snake

Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 06:45:13 PM
Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on May 28, 2017, 05:16:18 PM
The level of denial and "its the audience's fault!" behavior being displayed here is sad. Predictable, but still sad.

And yes, a reboot is EXACTLY what this franchise needs. Its needed one for over twenty years.

Not as sad and delusional as those that regard Covenant as the worst in the franchise. Now that is sad.

No reboot required. If it ends here so be it. David as creator drifting into space with 2000 humans to experiment on. Nice grim mystery ending.

Worse thing that could happen is some atrocious perceived fan service in colonial marines vs aliens - awful. Alien existed before 1986.

Right! If Covenant is the final encore so be it. IMO, when I read some of hate-filled posts of the so-called fans here, comparing it to Resurrection and AVP:R (which were AWFUL!), we don't even deserve another film.

Well, time to 'look forward' to 'Lala Land 2', 'Fast & Furious 9: Tits or gtfo', 'Batman vs Hulk feat. Spiderman' and many more!

Protozoid

I don't blame audiences for not wanting to see a movie that doesn't look very interesting.

The blame goes to whichever person turned Prometheus 2 into an Alien prequel.  I know this isn't the forum for this statement, but I think the Alien franchise is what turned people off.  People like all the same elements when it is called Prometheus, and both movies got similar reviews.  The only difference is the fact that it's an overt, unabashed Alien movie.  I have to assume that the Alien franchise has overstayed its welcome with the general public.

Mr. Forest

I was expecting a big drop, but not this BIG of a drop.  At this point the film will likely finish just under $100 million or lower domestic, and around $200 world wide.  Covenant is most likely not going to break even and the franchise is going to ended up being shelved again.  I just don't get it.  Fox could have had a Prometheus sequel and Alien sequel, but instead they butchered the Prometheus sequel by turning it into an Alien prequel while killing the Alien sequel.  If Fox secretly wanted to kill two birds with one stone, then they succeeded.

oduodu

oduodu

If Scott made a movie to please the masses then the movie must please the masses . Box office numbers so far shows otherwise .

Quote from: Protozoid on May 28, 2017, 09:51:49 PM
I don't blame audiences for not wanting to see a movie that doesn't look very interesting.

The blame goes to whichever person turned Prometheus 2 into an Alien prequel.  I know this isn't the forum for this statement, but I think the Alien franchise is what turned people off.  People like all the same elements when it is called Prometheus, and both movies got similar reviews.  The only difference is the fact that it's an overt, unabashed Alien movie.  I have to assume that the Alien franchise has overstayed its welcome with the general public.

It an alien movie that we have seen many times before without weaver. The android is only effective in the story when it was subjected to human ownership. Now free it seems human all by itself ? What motivates it to destroy the engineers ? He stood in awe of the engineers in Prometheus - "no doubt a superior species" and now? A bunch of morons ? Right there 's the problem.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed