Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,613 times)

Kane's other son

Here we go again... A rehash of Aliens by a director in artistic and commercial decline, featuring a 70 year-old Weaver (who couldn't open an alien movie 20 years ago) is nothing more than a recipe for disaster.

Covenant marketing dropped the ball EXACTLY because it listened to fanboys and confused audiences, hiding all ties to Prometheus, not explaining the plot and presenting the movie as a remake of Alien.

Gash

Quote from: A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus on May 28, 2017, 04:03:32 PM
Good. The movie was terrible. Franchise needs another rest after two crap films back to back. I don't want a third film to finish this garbage, at this point I no longer give a damn about where the aliens came from anymore. Thanks, Ridley.

Yes, thanks Ridley for giving me two films better than the piss poor sequels. (Ok - Alien3 was decent too). Shame the audience is too juvenile to appreciate an expansion of the themes, or too daft to go out and see it for themselves. Such is life. At least the tiresome fan boys are dropping like flies.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

LOL "Its better than 3 and Resurrection!" is not exactly a steep hill to climb.

Robopadna

Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 04:21:34 PM
Good. The movie was terrible. Franchise needs another rest after two crap films back to back. I don't want a third film to finish this garbage, at this point I no longer give a damn about where the aliens came from anymore. Thanks, Ridley.

Yes, thanks Ridley for giving me two films better than the piss poor sequels. (Ok - Alien3 was decent too). Shame the audience is too juvenile to appreciate an expansion of the themes, or too daft to go out and see it for themselves. Such is life. At least the tiresome fan boys are dropping like flies.

I think it's pretty short sighted to blame it on the audience. There are some pretty bad problems in the movies. And alien is turning out to not be the tentpole franchise fox wanted it to be and thought it might be.

The box office results have been horrific to say the least.

harlequinade

Actually unlike Covenant Alien 3 and Resurrection weren't forgettable rehashes so I'd say this one is the worst one

Gash

Quote from: Robopadna on May 28, 2017, 04:25:57 PM

Compared to other films this year? Hardly.

NickisSmart

Quote from: harlequinade on May 28, 2017, 04:31:22 PM
Actually unlike Covenant Alien 3 and Resurrection weren't forgettable rehashes so I'd say this one is the worst one

I've entered the Twilight Zone!

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 04:32:10 PM

Lol we're not worried about other films, here.

juxtapose

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 28, 2017, 04:38:28 PM
Quote from: harlequinade on May 28, 2017, 04:31:22 PM

I've entered the Twilight Zone!
. .no this is american horror story. .wake up. . lol

Corporal Hicks

Honestly, I don't think Alienkamp would be any better at this point. I wonder if we're getting closer to that ever inevitable and just as unwanted reboot/remake.

Also - https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/28/box-office-alien-covenant-suffers-brutal-71-drop-as-guardians-2-tops-guardians/#67e2795e67e2

Robopadna

Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 04:32:10 PM

Haha absolutely. An anemic opening and absolute horrific second weekend that was terrible even after being bolstered by memorial weekend.

It's a pretty big failure.

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

A_Sexual_Tyrannosaurus

The level of denial and "its the audience's fault!" behavior being displayed here is sad. Predictable, but still sad.

And yes, a reboot is EXACTLY what this franchise needs. Its needed one for over twenty years.

cucuchu

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2017, 05:05:28 PM
Honestly, I don't think Alienkamp would be any better at this point. I wonder if we're getting closer to that ever inevitable and just as unwanted reboot/remake.

Also - https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/28/box-office-alien-covenant-suffers-brutal-71-drop-as-guardians-2-tops-guardians/#67e2795e67e2

Maybe a reboot is what is needed at this point. I don't want it but I guess we could view at as a cleansing of the series and a fresh start. Everything is such a mess now. I feel exhausted making sense of anything because the writers/directors might not even bother making sense of anything themselves.

Gash

Quote from: cucuchu on May 28, 2017, 05:17:25 PM
I feel exhausted making sense of anything because the writers/directors might not even bother making sense of anything themselves.

Really? I'm not finding it that hard to make sense of.

Denton Smalls

Denton Smalls

Quote from: Gash on May 28, 2017, 04:21:34 PM

I think it's pretty short sighted to blame it on the audience. There are some pretty bad problems in the movies. And alien is turning out to not be the tentpole franchise fox wanted it to be and thought it might be.

I don't like using the abrupt term "this" to express agreement, but, well, this. ^^^

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 28, 2017, 05:05:28 PM

71%. Horrific. Do we think this will serve as a humbling experience to Scott, or is he just too old and established to truly care at this point?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed