Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,681 times)

Protozoid

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 27, 2017, 06:29:26 PM
I wonder if that ~$34 mil is included in the approx $400 mil total that's widely reported for Prometheus. I'd have to imagine it is, though it's strange that Box Office Mojo doesn't have it listed independently. Covenant comes out in China on June 16th.
Box Office Mojo did not include China's $34 million in its foreign total, no. Covenant is tracking $200 million lower than Prometheus and nearly $400 million lower than The Martian.

juxtapose

doomy gloomy depession. .oh for the love of god why??. .i mean it is already an improvement on prometheus. .. .witch i thought was a fantastic and dark space opera. .this is a direct result of how tasteless and kitch and common audiences have become. .but hows it doing globaly. .??. .so what if dumb c**t american audiences cant embrace it. .i never had any faith that they would. .but surely the rest of the planet will. .or else. . . Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!. .oh well it will be added to a list of movies i loved that never made it big at the box office. .suppose we should be happy that we even got another alien movie . . f**k this i don't wanne wait another 10 years for a reboot. .what if i die before then?

PierreVW

Quote from: Protozoid on May 27, 2017, 07:15:22 PM
Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 27, 2017, 06:29:26 PM
I wonder if that ~$34 mil is included in the approx $400 mil total that's widely reported for Prometheus. I'd have to imagine it is, though it's strange that Box Office Mojo doesn't have it listed independently. Covenant comes out in China on June 16th.
Box Office Mojo did not include China's $34 million in its foreign total, no. Covenant is tracking $200 million lower than Prometheus and nearly $400 million lower than The Martian.

It looks really, really bad for the franchise.

This could kill ALIEN franchise for 5-7 years.

Sir Ridley Scott has 5 better projects so He doesn't care. Like Damon Lindelof said about him: "He never freaked out or lost his cool about anything. Anything". Sir Ridley Scott just forgot and Directs his next film.

Enoch

Alien, signing out....

Still searching for perfection. :laugh:

oduodu

What's the reason for no imax and 3d viewings? Was it only to make the movie cheaper?

Evanus

There are IMAX viewings. I went to one!  :D

oduodu

Quote from: Evanus on May 27, 2017, 09:21:23 PM

Oh sorry . Then is there 3d viewings as well? Was the movie shot in 3d?

Evanus

Quote from: oduodu on May 27, 2017, 09:25:21 PM
Quote from: Evanus on May 27, 2017, 09:21:23 PM

Oh sorry . Then is there 3d viewings as well? Was the movie shot in 3d?
Nope, I don't think it was shot in 3D. Not sure why though. Probably to reduce costs, like you said.

oduodu

that's going affect blu ray sales as well. And no furious gods 2.0 either. No CDL .

Let's get rid of everything good that came out of PROmetheus .

#sigh*

juxtapose

Quote from: oduodu on May 27, 2017, 09:34:44 PM
that's going affect blu ray sales as well. And no furious gods 2.0 either. No CDL .

Let's get rid of everything good that came out of PROmetheus .

#sigh*
. .have u seen it yet?. .i know u also from SA. .not showing in the freestate. .at least not in welkom. .only in bloemfontein. .thank god i am moving back to jhb later this year .

oduodu

oduodu

Is it showing in sa currently?

http://www.criticalhit.net/entertainment/local-weekend-box-office-report-alien-covenant-fails-impress-south-africans/

Not doing well at all. No I haven't seen it yet. 

FallenDarkAngel

It's sad that it was pulled out already in most branches of the biggest chain of cinemas here in my country. Even the IMAX theathers pulled out the movie.  :-[

Feeds On Minds

This dead horse needs a break...a nice long break.
Maybe only THEN we'll get something worthy of the franchise.

cucuchu

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on May 27, 2017, 10:50:27 PM

If the movie franchise is dead, we might still get some decent video games in the future. Its a tough pill to swallow because this is my favorite cinematic universe and I know it has more potential than what has been provided the last 30 years, but we could be at a point of no return.

I guess if Ridley Scott gave this franchise life then its only fitting that he kills it. Someone else said it before and it makes all the sense now...it feels like Covenant is a death kneel of the franchise.

Noah

Noah

Quote from: Protozoid on May 26, 2017, 05:01:14 PMA big star like Leonardo DiCaprio or Brad Pitt definitely means something at the box office.  They guarantee a certain amount of interest.
DiCaprio is probably the only actor who can be considered a legit draw,but he always teams up with high profile directors for hyped films that most of the time  end up being  Oscars contenders. He doesn't make independent films.. Movie stars like Pitt,Cruise,Depp don't have a consistent track record anymore. Their star power don't necessarily translate in good BO performances.  My point was that people don't pay to see a particular actor anymore independently of the film. Also,adult-oriented dramas struggle most of the time because those are films that people see at home.  And I don't see any reason to compare actors like Fassbender,Gosling,Hardy  to Pitt,Cruise,Will Smith,DiCaprio because it doesn't make any sense.

QuoteMy friend, that's your theory.  Sir Ridley wanted bigger stars for PROMETHEUS.  For example: Leonardo DiCaprio was the first choice for David. Michael Fassbender was his second choice.
I don't recall  DiCaprio being in the mix - he would have been completely wrong for the role-  but what is sure is that Scott really wanted Fassbender. There  are several articles that mention how Scott supported his casting even if he was un up-and-coming actor at the time who was still shooting all his future high profile films. Also,in the Sony leaked emails you can read Sony executives hinting at the fact that Scott goes around saying that he's the best actor working today. Draw your conclusion.
What Scott is doing is exactly what he wanted to do and Fassbender or anyone else is not playing any role. Logan and Harper are on record saying that they follow Scott's indications and Fassbender has always said that he trusts Scott and doesn't even try to ask about his future plans.

Quote from: fiveways on May 27, 2017, 01:59:47 AMDaily breakdown of the movies verse each other at Box Office mojo.  This link has a lot of interesting stats.  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/showdowns/chart/?view=daily&id=covprom.htm
Prometheus weekend breakdowns.  It made 20m second weekend.  I'll be surprised if Covenant does 12-13m given it's drop off this week.  http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=prometheus.htm
Thanks! 12.3M is what they're predicting over 3-days weekend and 13,75 over four.
It's performing like Prometheus that fell 74% in its second Friday. While it's underwhelming,I don't know why people expected it to perform like  Prometheus or even better. It's clear that it's a niche franchise,particularly frontloaded too. Without considering that Prometheus was divisive, to say the least,for fans as well.
If it pulls in 80M in domestic,it's not a disaster tbh.
As the Forbes' analyst noticed,even a 225M final gross would be decent for this. And,honestly,I can see it doing better than that without the Asian markets. If it pulls in something like 80M from those other markets,it will be fine.

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 27, 2017, 05:43:58 PM

You're not factoring in the weekly dropoff. We're already looking at more than a 70% drop on it's second weekend in the US. In Australia it's opening weekend gross was 80% less than that of Prometheus.

No,it dropped 40% in local currency. Those drops in USD reported by BOM were quite meaningless.

Quote from: cucuchu on May 27, 2017, 11:23:01 PM
Quote from: Feeds On Minds on May 27, 2017, 10:50:27 PM

If the movie franchise is dead, we might still get some decent video games in the future. Its a tough pill to swallow because this is my favorite cinematic universe and I know it has more potential than what has been provided the last 30 years, but we could be at a point of no return.

I guess if Ridley Scott gave this franchise life then its only fitting that he kills it. Someone else said it before and it makes all the sense now...it feels like Covenant is a death kneel of the franchise.
Why all this pessimism?
The big mistake was to move this from August. It's an insanely crowded period for American and international releses. Pirates,Wonder Woman,The Mummy..  Films don't even have the time to establish themselves before losing screens for the next blockbuster.
But I don't see anyone talking about a flop.  Honestly,I don't see why Scott should leave the franchise without a conclusion if he agrees to work with a lower budget. The point is that these films don't justify a high budget anymore. That's all.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed