Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,604 times)

NickisSmart

Quote from: cucuchu on May 27, 2017, 01:23:04 PM
Well now, even I am having trouble being optimistic.

Relax. Covenant's only been in theaters for a week, whereas Prometheus had 15 times that number to generate only 4 times Covenant's current box office gross. Give it time. It's an international market, these days. I doubt Ridley's even so much as broken a sweat, yet.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: acrediblesource on May 27, 2017, 01:40:03 PM
Ridley is smart. Consider if they actually need the sets from Prometheus to recreate the original 1979 version, they could do that with alot of tweaking or just using the manufacturing process would probably speed things up. Or just re-use and refine.
That would be an added bonus to the budget.

You guys are so crazy. They'll not be doing any of that. It doesn't work like that.

"Maybe the cast and crew can bring their own lunch to work! Doesn't Fassbender like PB&J?"

Staaaaaahp.

cucuchu

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 27, 2017, 02:27:22 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 27, 2017, 01:23:04 PM
Well now, even I am having trouble being optimistic.

Relax. Covenant's only been in theaters for a week, whereas Prometheus had 15 times that number to generate only 4 times Covenant's current box office gross. Give it time. It's an international market, these days. I doubt Ridley's even so much as broken a sweat, yet.

This is true. Perhaps I should of set my initial expectations a little more realistically vs my 600 million prediction :laugh:

My question still stands though: When would we know if the follow up is going to happen if Ridley Scott starts filming next year around June like he stated before with the 14 month comment? Preproduction would need to be in full swing this fall right?

Protozoid

Covenant isn't just tracking behind Prometheus overall. It has made less every single day of release. It isn't going to catch up, not according to the predictions of experts. If you look at the numbers more closely, you will see there is no mathematical possibility of Covenant out grossing Prometheus.

Also, Ridley Scott proudly reuses sets all the time. Katherine Waters on wears Matt Damon's Martian wig during reshoots. From trailers I could see pieces of the sets from Martian in Covenant. I bet he used stuff from Exodus, as well. The set for Kingdom of Heaven was such a masterpiece of reusability that people still use it. Just saw it in Good Kill.

juxtapose

juxtapose

dunno if i am just grabbing at straws. .but their is still china. .if covenant can hit it big in china then their is still hope. .so what do you guys think the global will be on tuesday. .i am guessing between 170 to 175 mil?

FallenDarkAngel

Can we expect a sequel if AC "might" not perform well in US while it did good overseas?

Spidey3121

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2017/05/27/box-office-alien-covenant-plunges-horrific-80-for-3m-friday/#20fe536460d5

Yeah, it didn't hold well. Given that Pirates & Baywatch are both underperforming, it seems particularly bad.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote20th Century Fox's Alien: Covenant sank like a stone on its second Friday. The well-reviewed but slightly underperforming Alien prequel/Prometheus sequel earned just $3 million yesterday for what is now a $49.8m eight-day domestic total. Now Prometheus fell 73% on its second Friday, but we were dealing with larger overall numbers. At this juncture, we can expect a $10.6m (-71%) Fri-Sun weekend and a $13.2m holiday haul for a $60m 11-day total. So, barring decent legs after the holiday, we're looking at a domestic total of around $80m. The Ridley Scott picture cost $97m to produce, so overseas can still pull it out of the fire. But a similar 32/68 split gives the film a $254m worldwide total. Is that decent for an R-rated horror film? Absolutely. But it's not great considering the last film made $405m worldwide.

Disaster.

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Ingwar on May 27, 2017, 04:28:03 PM
Quote20th Century Fox's Alien: Covenant sank like a stone on its second Friday. The well-reviewed but slightly underperforming Alien prequel/Prometheus sequel earned just $3 million yesterday for what is now a $49.8m eight-day domestic total. Now Prometheus fell 73% on its second Friday, but we were dealing with larger overall numbers. At this juncture, we can expect a $10.6m (-71%) Fri-Sun weekend and a $13.2m holiday haul for a $60m 11-day total. So, barring decent legs after the holiday, we're looking at a domestic total of around $80m. The Ridley Scott picture cost $97m to produce, so overseas can still pull it out of the fire. But a similar 32/68 split gives the film a $254m worldwide total. Is that decent for an R-rated horror film? Absolutely. But it's not great considering the last film made $405m worldwide.

Disaster.

Is this factoring in China though? Prometheus did not have China to boost box office numbers, as far as I am aware. That should push it to at least 300m worldwide.

Quote from: FallenDarkAngel on May 27, 2017, 04:10:54 PM
Can we expect a sequel if AC "might" not perform well in US while it did good overseas?

I am still confident we will get a third and final film, and soon, regardless. That is under the condition Ridley Scott has a strong desire to stick to his shooting schedule of shooting in 13 months. Under what conditions though, that is anyone's guess. Ridley Scott might have the studio sold on an idea that they believe will carry over well for them in the long run.

Ingwar

Quote from: cucuchu on May 27, 2017, 04:36:13 PM

Disaster.

Is this factoring in China though? Prometheus did not have China to boost box office numbers, as far as I am aware. That should push it to at least 300m worldwide.

Prometheus was released in China.

cucuchu

Quote from: Ingwar on May 27, 2017, 05:01:55 PM
Quote from: cucuchu on May 27, 2017, 04:36:13 PM

Disaster.

I am not seeing it reported in BO numbers. What is missing here?

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=prometheus.htm

Ingwar

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: NickisSmart on May 27, 2017, 02:27:22 PM

You're not factoring in the weekly dropoff. We're already looking at more than a 70% drop on it's second weekend in the US. In Australia it's opening weekend gross was 80% less than that of Prometheus.

Quote from: Ingwar on May 27, 2017, 05:01:55 PM

And in 3D which is a massive draw over there.

Quote from: Protozoid on May 27, 2017, 02:49:19 PM
Also, Ridley Scott proudly reuses sets all the time. Katherine Waters on wears Matt Damon's Martian wig during reshoots. From trailers I could see pieces of the sets from Martian in Covenant. I bet he used stuff from Exodus, as well. The set for Kingdom of Heaven was such a masterpiece of reusability that people still use it. Just saw it in Good Kill.

Sets usually get destroyed after filming, storage cost would be too prohibitive even if you were planing more sequels. We've already had reports of Alien: Covenant's Juggernaut set's destruction.

The space ship chairs and some corridor sections from The Martian we saw in Covenant were most likely just re-manufactured from the same 3D model/blueprints. And re-using a wig or whatever is not going to make an iota of difference to reducing costs on the next film.

cucuchu

Quote from: Ingwar on May 27, 2017, 05:41:15 PM
Box office: http://english.entgroup.cn/602960/boxoffice/

Nice. So Prometheus really made out quite well then with the China numbers on top of the BO mojo numbers.

Spidey3121

I wonder if that ~$34 mil is included in the approx $400 mil total that's widely reported for Prometheus. I'd have to imagine it is, though it's strange that Box Office Mojo doesn't have it listed independently. Covenant comes out in China on June 16th.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed