Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,612 times)

gantarat

gantarat

Too many Pirate Showtime in my courntry

https://moveedoo.com/th/movie/pirates-of-the-caribbean-salazars-revenge/

Covenant Showtime (comeout 2 week ago)

https://moveedoo.com/th/movie/alien-covenant/

PS.website missing many theater (we has 2 Theater Business company that are rival)

Bishop2

At this point, I'm assuming that we are indeed going to see a third film in the prequel line.

- Ridley and others have said more than once that Prometheus performed "very well" and that's why we got Covenant at all.

- Despite the poor-sounding gross in North America, I've seen professional box-office analysts remark that Alien is typically overseas-loaded .... and indeed, it's doing better elsewhere.

- This movie is indeed doing worse business than Prometheus, but it also had a smaller budget. Prometheus made approximately its budget amount in North America (actually slightly less) and a total of approximately three times its budget worldwide, and it does seem like Covenant is tracking to do similarly in North America in relation to its lower budget. So really, the big question now is how well this film holds in overseas markets for its remaining weeks.

- With all that said: I have to wonder what form the third film would take. This is gonna be down to the wire in terms of whether it deserves another entry. Will it be the "midquel" that Scott has referenced? Will it become a true third film in the series? Will Fox demand more changes for the next movie (like "more aliens, more aliens, maybe soldiers!" or something like that), and will Scott back off of director and go into Producer mode if he loses interest in any new direction? Will the budget need to be slashed again to justify it to the higher-ups, and if so, will that kill it? Maybe the higher-ups will even demand a complete divorce from Prometheus/Covenant characters, and David will have to be ousted quickly? Very curious to see how this winds up....

PierreVW

Quote from: Bishop2 on May 26, 2017, 02:57:51 PM
At this point, I'm assuming that we are indeed going to see a third film in the prequel line.

- Ridley and others have said more than once that Prometheus performed "very well" and that's why we got Covenant at all.

- Despite the poor-sounding gross in North America, I've seen professional box-office analysts remark that Alien is typically overseas-loaded .... and indeed, it's doing better elsewhere.

- This movie is indeed doing worse business than Prometheus, but it also had a smaller budget. Prometheus made approximately its budget amount in North America (actually slightly less) and a total of approximately three times its budget worldwide, and it does seem like Covenant is tracking to do similarly in North America in relation to its lower budget. So really, the big question now is how well this film holds in overseas markets for its remaining weeks.

- With all that said: I have to wonder what form the third film would take. This is gonna be down to the wire in terms of whether it deserves another entry. Will it be the "midquel" that Scott has referenced? Will it become a true third film in the series? Will Fox demand more changes for the next movie (like "more aliens, more aliens, maybe soldiers!" or something like that), and will Scott back off of director and go into Producer mode if he loses interest in any new direction? Will the budget need to be slashed again to justify it to the higher-ups, and if so, will that kill it? Maybe the higher-ups will even demand a complete divorce from Prometheus/Covenant characters, and David will have to be ousted quickly? Very curious to see how this winds up....

Very interesting points.

FOX made 11 movies with Sir Ridley and they have plans for the future: THE CARTEL and BATTLE OF BRITAIN. FOX and Sir Ridley have another contract with his company SCOTT FREE.

So, I think FOX has a lot of admiration for Sir Ridley and they NEVER are going to fire him. IT'S UP TO HIM. If Sir Ridley wants to leaves, he leaves. But nobody is going to fire him or his company.

Protozoid

Between The Counselor, Steve Jobs, Assassin's Creed, and now Covenant, Fassbender has a pretty poor track record, box office wise, as a lead actor. He also played games with his availability, making sure he was busy on another movie if he didn't like the current draft of Prometheus 2. When you read about the delays, Scott always wanted to go next wit his draft, and Noomi seems out of the loop, but Fassbinder kept saying "it's about finding the right story" and was constantly busy until the direction changed to being an Alien movie where Dave is the lead and creates the xenos. I know I'm reading between the lines, here, but I think Fassbinder deserves some blame, maybe a lot of the blame. He allegedly didn't get along with Rapace, and surprise she was replaced by an actress Fassbinder enjoyed working with on Steve Jobs. I think Fassbinder played games trying to make Covenant into what he wanted.

PierreVW

Quote from: Protozoid on May 26, 2017, 05:01:14 PM
Between The Counselor, Steve Jobs, Assassin's Creed, and now Covenant, Fassbender has a pretty poor track record, box office wise, as a lead actor. He also played games with his availability, making sure he was busy on another movie if he didn't like the current draft of Prometheus 2. When you read about the delays, Scott always wanted to go next wit his draft, and Noomi seems out of the loop, but Fassbinder kept saying "it's about finding the right story" and was constantly busy until the direction changed to being an Alien movie where Dave is the lead and creates the xenos. I know I'm reading between the lines, here, but I think Fassbinder deserves some blame, maybe a lot of the blame. He allegedly didn't get along with Rapace, and surprise she was replaced by an actress Fassbinder enjoyed working with on Steve Jobs. I think Fassbinder played games trying to make Covenant into what he wanted.

My friend, that's your theory.

Sir Ridley wanted bigger stars for PROMETHEUS.

For example: Leonardo DiCaprio was the first choice for David. Michael Fassbender was his second choice.

cucuchu

Where did you read this about Fassbender? I have yet to hear of it but hey if it was going on, that is rather shitty. I would like to see a source though.

Vermillion

Btw.
Run. Pray. Hide.

No one in Alien Covenant Hid.

False advertising. I'm suing.

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

I could buy the story about tension with Rapace and Fassbender if I hadn't seen them doing promotion together. They looked quite chummy in each other's company, and not in a forced junket way. I also don't think Fassbender is some villain scheming to push her out and make the movies about him. This is clearly all Scott.

I don't have to like the story turn in AC, but that doesn't make Michael Fassbender into some sort of IRL bad guy.

Jonesy1974

Noomi Rapaces ousting probably has more to do with her current career trajectory, which ain't great tbh I don't think fassbender can be blamed for that.

SpeedyMaxx

She's doing alright. I think she does what she likes. Don't think it has much to do with that vs. wanting to flush Prometheus and clean slate.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 26, 2017, 07:04:14 PM
She's doing alright. I think she does what she likes. Don't think it has much to do with that vs. wanting to flush Prometheus and clean slate.

Really? Her last few films have been awful and one step away from straight to DVD releases. I don't know what she has coming up, maybe better but she hasn't been pulling up any trees since Prometheus that's for sure.

SpeedyMaxx

I don't think much of some of her recent films myself, but doing an indie horror (Rupture) from an acclaimed director is far from uncommon these days, even if it turned out lousy. She's in the next big Will Smith movie, she did that silly looking thriller with Tom Hardy and is starring in another Netflix thing with Willem Dafoe, she's Maria Callas in Niki Caro's next movie - I think she's having the career she wants to have, not someone else's who wants to be Jennifer Lawrence. If she gets bored I imagine she'll go back to Sweden and do stuff there.

Jonesy1974

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on May 26, 2017, 07:16:12 PM
I don't think much of some of her recent films myself, but doing an indie horror (Rupture) from an acclaimed director is far from uncommon these days, even if it turned out lousy. She's in the next big Will Smith movie, she did that silly looking thriller with Tom Hardy and is starring in another Netflix thing with Willem Dafoe, she's Maria Callas in Niki Caro's next movie - I think she's having the career she wants to have, not someone else's who wants to be Jennifer Lawrence. If she gets bored I imagine she'll go back to Sweden and do stuff there.

And unlocked which is also terrible. You might be right and she's happy with this but maybe fox were jittery about it. It's all speculative but more likely in my view than fassbender being her arch nemesis as was suggested (not by you I know)

RandomNumber

As others may already know, boxofficemojo.com came out with the Thursday numbers, and Covenant is in third place. It came in fourth place if you count the preview showings of Pirates 5. (I'm not sure the experts look at things that way, but it probably gives a good picture of where the weekend box office is going.)

They also have a weekend preview, in which they write: "...we're anticipating Guardians 2 will bring in around $20 million for the three-day with Alien: Covenant bringing in $18 million, which may end up being generous as that only represents a 50% drop."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4295&p=.htm

Alien: Covenant is a movie I could see having a really steep drop-off in box office. If it is able to pull in $18+ million over the weekend, I think that would be good news for the film (relatively speaking).

Robopadna

Between The Counselor, Steve Jobs, Assassin's Creed, and now Covenant, Fassbender has a pretty poor track record, box office wise, as a lead actor.

I'm sorry but nearly everything you listed there bombed horribly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed