Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,603 times)

echobbase79

I think the film will probably be a bigger hit on the home video market.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

R-Rated films typically do well on the home market. Dredd for example did exceptionally well but even that was not enough to garner any interest for a sequel.

Robopadna

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 22, 2017, 06:26:11 PM
R-Rated films typically do well on the home market. Dredd for example did exceptionally well but even that was not enough to garner any interest for a sequel.

Better than what?

echobbase79

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on May 22, 2017, 06:26:11 PM

That's true, but aren't they finally getting a TV series for that? Of course it taken around five years to do so.

Spidey3121

I wonder if FOX would have been better off with the original release date of August. Moving it the pre-Memorial Day weekend was a sign of confidence, though perhaps that was misguided. Yes, the hope is that it will hold better over the 4-day Memorial Day weekend, but that's no guarantee. The film opens in China 6/16. That market has exploded in the past 5-10 years, so hopefully they're big Alien fans.

PierreVW

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 22, 2017, 07:49:23 PM
I wonder if FOX would have been better off with the original release date of August. Moving it the pre-Memorial Day weekend was a sign of confidence, though perhaps that was misguided. Yes, the hope is that it will hold better over the 4-day Memorial Day weekend, but that's no guarantee. The film opens in China 6/16. That market has exploded in the past 5-10 years, so hopefully they're big Alien fans.

FOX could save money if they pursuit Chinese Co-Production for ALIEN: COVENANT 2.

Filming in China like PACIFIC RIM 2.

PACIFIC RIM 2 is saving money filming everything in Shangai.

Prof. a

Quote from: gantarat on May 22, 2017, 02:08:31 PM
Sorry to ask again (For sure) but How much does a movie need to gross to be break-even ?

300 ? 400 ?

I see there is a lot of confusion and varying information regarding Covenant and the Box Office. Let me start out by saying I have a background in Film/TV, teach courses on the business aspects of the media industry, and do pay close attention to the box office.

Firstly, we (the public) will never actually know how much was spent on the production budget (let alone marketing/distribution costs which aren't included). Hollywood is known for "creative accounting" so to speak. Look at the many lawsuits against studios for denying key personnel a percentage of the gross.  So, the "books" are generally very secretive.

Secondly, we don't always get a completely clear idea about how much a film makes outside of the Box Office - including Video-On-Demand, home DVD/Blu-Ray sales, merchandise, etc.

So, the rule of thumb (even though it may not always be accurate) is a film should make double the production budget to break even. The budget from this film (from what I've heard) ranges from 90 to 110 million dollars. So, 180 to 220 million should put it (most of the time) in break even territory. Right now, with about 117 million, Covenant should be able to reach that.

There were those in the media that portrayed Prometheus as a box office misfire but with around $400 million in Box Office with about a 120-130 million budget, we saw that Fox still had confidence in the franchise to launch not just Covenant, but the more risky Scott movie - The Counselor. I read reports that the only reason Fox made The Counselor was because Prometheus generated a lot of profit - contrary to some media outlets.

So, the Covenant box office is not a disaster. It's not great but it should make at a minimum, break even territory.

Key question is what does Fox do?

They could go the AvP:R route, make one more film but at a much, much lower budget.

SuicideDoors

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/?view=main&yr=2017&wknd=20&p=.htm

Actuals have been released and it's officially number 1. Guardians actually came in a bit lower than estimated.

Small cause for celebration, I guess.

Spidey3121

Pacific Rim made $110 mil in China, out-grossing its domestic haul. I doubt the same will happen for Covenant.

The way I see it is FOX cut the budget by 25%, if we're using the reported numbers. Therefore, it's my presumption that Covenant can afford to earn 25% less. Now, what that might mean for the franchise going forward, I don't know.

And YAY for it staying at #1 :P

Salt The Fries

Quote from: Gash on May 22, 2017, 10:01:05 AM
I will hold a similar stance to David in regard to the worth of humanity if the Angry Joe's of this world get their way.

Haha, brilliantly put.

SuicideDoors

Quote from: Spidey3121 on May 22, 2017, 08:12:32 PM

I genuinely didn't think it would. Especially since Guardians increased over it's estimates for two weeks in a row prior to this one. Maybe Covenant can gain some small momentum from being the number 1 movie in America before Pirates and Baywatch?

Spidey3121

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 22, 2017, 08:25:40 PM

I genuinely didn't think it would. Especially since Guardians increased over it's estimates for two weeks in a row prior to this one. Maybe Covenant can gain some small momentum from being the number 1 movie in America before Pirates and Baywatch?

Surely FOX will advertise the fact that it's #1. And the bigger the numbers are the more they fluctuated, but it can go either way, up or down. The embargo for Pirates has lifted, and so far the reviews aren't favorable. If audiences are on the fence, they may go with the better reviewed option. Actually, other than Guardians, Covenant has the highest Rotten Tomatoes score of the top 10.

Salt The Fries

Salt The Fries

GOTG2 is such a forgettable film. Entertaining while it lasts but leaves no lasting impression afterwards. And its shtick with shitty comfort zone 70s music gets old really fast and it's not charming at all. :/

I don't really hate it, I had some good fun while watching it but I can't believe it's still printing money like no tomorrow.

LiquidMonster

Probably just me but after watching Alien: Covenant yesterday, I felt more than ever that I wanted to see Sigourney Weaver fighting ALIENS in the Neil Blomkamp proposed film with Hicks an adult Newt and possibly Bishop one last time.

Ridley has let ALIENS influence him so much anyways now(with the xenomorph now super fast) compared to what we see from the xeno in "ALIEN" that he's gone off the track a bit. We get superfast, jumping xenos like we saw in ALIENS but it doesn't make sense backing into "ALIEN" where the xeno is very slow and methodical.

Fox and Scott should just let Blomkamp make his ALIEN film now since these movies seem all over the place now.

I'm probably one of the few who didn't like the neomorph, seeing their lifecycle, who made them, etc. I liked that I thought the Space Jockeys were creatures only to find out it was an engineer suit. I like that in ALIEN we don't know much of anything and that it's ok not to have everything explained to us.

Now it seem Ridley feels he has to tell the entire back story of how the "xenos" came to be and I just don't like it at all. The neomorph communicating with David was laughable. I just man......I really think Scott needs to walk away from the films now.

PierreVW

Quote from: Salt The Fries on May 22, 2017, 08:32:48 PM

GOTG2 is such a forgettable film. Entertaining while it lasts but leaves no lasting impression afterwards. And its shtick with shitty comfort zone 70s music gets old really fast and it's not charming at all. :/

I don't really hate it, I had some good fun while watching it but I can't believe it's still printing money like no tomorrow.

I agree.

But ALL Marvel Disney movies are like these. FORGETTABLE. MEDIOCRE. I like them in the theaters but LOGAN(FOX Marvel) is better than ANY Marvel Disney movie ever.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed