Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,593 times)

Robopadna

Quote from: Hubbs on May 22, 2017, 03:46:06 PM
Well figures are in and its not what the studios are hoping for so far, average at best. Not forgetting international figures are already in week 2.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/alien-covenant-box-office-analysis-ridley-scott-1202439346/#article-comments

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/alien-covenant/alien-covenant-stalks-top-us-box-office/

Worldwide total about 117 million thus far, which is reasonable, but not great for such a franchise as this. Considering how many big flicks are coming up this doesn't look good at all.

I can't see this film holding out. It will probably get a third sequel but I'm not sure if that will survive unless Scott ties things up pretty neatly. We won't be getting 6 movies that's for sure.

I think Fox has to consider if this really IS that great of a franchise...  honestly, how long ago were the great movies?  1986?  I like Prometheus but it was real 50/50 among people.  I agree that it isn't 'great'.

Financially it isn't a tent pole any more.

Darth Vile

I'm not sure what people are expecting. It's a circa 40 year old franchise, that has more in common with Halloween or Terminator, than something like Star Wars (or other big successfull franchise). It's not a film you take your family to see... and it's not a franchise that the 'kids' are going to love. The bottom line is that it needs to make more money than it cost. And then they, the bean counters, need to determine if the profit is 'worth it'.

I'd be careful what those wanting Covenant to fail wish for... they will make another film for sure, with or without Ridley Scott. And if they want more profit, they will either try and make it more accessible or reduce the budget (or both). I think Covenant is far from perfect, and I think one has to consider if an Alien film is even still relevant (without just re-making the original), but for me, it's still in a different league than the last X-Men film, Avengers Cloverfield or other.

cucuchu

Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 03:50:25 PM
Quote from: Hubbs on May 22, 2017, 03:46:06 PM
Well figures are in and its not what the studios are hoping for so far, average at best. Not forgetting international figures are already in week 2.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/alien-covenant-box-office-analysis-ridley-scott-1202439346/#article-comments

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/alien-covenant/alien-covenant-stalks-top-us-box-office/

Worldwide total about 117 million thus far, which is reasonable, but not great for such a franchise as this. Considering how many big flicks are coming up this doesn't look good at all.

I can't see this film holding out. It will probably get a third sequel but I'm not sure if that will survive unless Scott ties things up pretty neatly. We won't be getting 6 movies that's for sure.

I think Fox has to consider if this really IS that great of a franchise...  honestly, how long ago were the great movies?  1986?  I like Prometheus but it was real 50/50 among people.  I agree that it isn't 'great'.

Financially it isn't a tent pole any more.

It has potential to be great, but maybe they should cater to what a more general audience will like. Maybe a movie similar to Aliens but with some horrific exposition and some kind of evolution of the aliens as we know them. I think another movie focusing on the colonial marines with a decent cast would do quite well.

I also think an HBO series focusing on Weyland-Yutani and other elements of the franchise outside of the xenomorph could do well and help. They could be involved somehow but rarely make an actual appearance and when they do, they should be just as intelligent as they are dangerous.

Richman678

I am thinking they will give Scott a smaller budget, and let him finish his trilogy....after that I honestly don't know.

motherfather

The numbers don't include Germanic territories yet, right? Few sites I looked at said no box office data yet.

BishopShouldGo

Lol Germanic territories. What. Dude they won't make a dent. Stop deluding yourself, the movie is underperforming and that's that.

Richman678

lol Germanic territories.....

It hasn't released in China yet right? I thought I read it wont be out in China till June.

juxtapose

germany. .south africa and the netherlands. .sure combined we will make a relative dent at least. .

Silver Teeth

Silver Teeth

China might help this film generate the next sequel but fox's confidence changing positions from august right to the front line of box office guaranteed films, has cost it somewhat deerly, theres nothing coming out in august, thats why they selected that month to rerelease T2 in 3D , does this prove fox really dont know what there doing ?

Look, Some are the Alien films are bad, like just bad, Alien Resurrection, Alien 3 ( yes fans like it but, you know to the general audience, its bad) Aliens Vs. Predator Requiem, Prometheus was an inquisitive film but theres some stupid moments in that movie.
The point now, is prehaps fox need to stick with it, take the good with the bad rebuild the brand recognition
you can't expect people around the world to flock to see a film with a partially bad reputation of films within
the franchise.
This is fox's fault, they approved Avp over Alien 5, they greenlighted Avp R & tempered with the director's vision of Alien 3. Consider these films, Batman Begins 374 million, The Dark Night 1 billion and those batman films came off a couple bad sequels, but got there box office numbers up eventually.

The box office question is how do fox lure the other audience members who were not attracted this time around, who didn't see interest in this film ? Prometheus proved that curiosity is a key, where as showing too much for Alien Covenant's sake may not be.

cucuchu

Well, well...

From the looks of it, in terms of reviews and first impressions, Pirates of the Caribbean is shitting its pants before it even pushes off the starting line later this week. I do not like to wish poorly on another film but just saying, if its not that great and fizzles out early then that might help Alien Covenant during memorial day weekend (when a lot of us Americans hit the cinemas).

SuicideDoors

Quote from: cucuchu on May 22, 2017, 05:20:04 PM
Well, well...

From the looks of it, in terms of reviews and first impressions, Pirates of the Caribbean is shitting its pants before it even pushes off the starting line later this week. I do not like to wish poorly on another film but just saying, if its not that great and fizzles out early then that might help Alien Covenant during memorial day weekend (when a lot of us Americans hit the cinemas).

I still think Covenant is f**ked. The word-of-mouth among cinema-goers is mixed and that's putting it politely. Covenant received the dreaded "B" on cinemascore.com, whereas Pirates will probably get an A, even though it's being slaughtered among critics.

I think best we can hope for is a final tally of $80million. It just doesn't pay to be optimistic with Alien in america. I remember even AvP managed to finish below Freddy vs Jason somehow. That was un-f**king-believable back in the day, especially because AvP had access to a far wider audience. 

newbeing

Well, well...

Rotten Tomato scores seem to matter little for franchises that are considered popcorn flicks to general audiences. Look at how many Transformer films  there have been despite the highest rated one being the original at 57%. Last three Pirates films were also rotten, but they bring the summer movie audiences in.
Prometheus had a significant drop on its second weekend in the US, something like 60% I think. I feel Alien: Covenant will be the same.

DaddyYautja

so now we are happy that the movie came under budget and on time?  :laugh:

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on May 22, 2017, 04:37:28 PM
Lol Germanic territories. What. Dude they won't make a dent. Stop deluding yourself, the movie is underperforming and that's that.

Djibouti's numbers aren't in yet either.

cucuchu

Quote from: newbeing on May 22, 2017, 05:34:58 PM
Well, well...

Rotten Tomato scores seem to matter little for franchises that are considered popcorn flicks to general audiences. Look at how many Transformer films  there have been despite the highest rated one being the original at 57%. Last three Pirates films were also rotten, but they bring the summer movie audiences in.
Prometheus had a significant drop on its second weekend in the US, something like 60% I think. I feel Alien: Covenant will be the same.

We shall see. I have a feeling that memorial day weekend will boost the numbers beyond what would happen with a normal second weekend drop off. Will it matter much? Probably not. But every little bit helps.

I am confident Scott will get to finish it out with one more movie though. Its not doing well but once it is all said done, I don't think it will be a monumental flop of such proportions that they give up on the franchise. Like Silver Teeth posted above, Fox needs to stick it out if they want to establish the franchise. I am talking BEYOND Scott's next Alien film. They had the right idea with Prometheus and expanding the Alien universe, but they tried to branch out way too much. You need to stick closer to the source, and branch out more as you go, not the other way around IMO.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed