Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,618 times)

juxtapose

having it released in over 50 odd terrotries did'nt seem to help it much over the weekend either. .amounting to an extra 30 mil. .right now things is not looking great. .one can only pray it has very long legs!

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: juxtapose on May 22, 2017, 12:29:31 PM
having it released in over 50 odd terrotries did'nt seem to help it much over the weekend either. .amounting to an extra 30 mil. .right now things is not looking great. .one can only pray it has very long legs!

Where are you seeing the WW numbers?

Edit: Nevermind, found it

https://www.google.com/amp/variety.com/2017/film/news/box-office-alien-covenant-global-1202439281/amp/

SuicideDoors

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Gaurdians ends up pipping it to number 1 when the actuals are released....

Meanwhile it's been no 1 for two weekends here in the UK

juxtapose

juxtapose

. .i wonder if they will ever do an animated series. .i know about the comics, but an actual animated series or movie might be a nice conselation in the event that we don't get a sequal to covenant. .

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 22, 2017, 12:56:13 PM
I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Gaurdians ends up pipping it to number 1 when the actuals are released....

. .when is the actuals supposed to get released?

Robopadna

Quote from: juxtapose on May 22, 2017, 01:00:40 PM
. .i wonder if they will ever do an animated series. .i know about the comics, but an actual animated series or movie might be a nice conselation in the event that we don't get a sequal to covenant. .

Quote from: SuicideDoors on May 22, 2017, 12:56:13 PM

. .when is the actuals supposed to get released?

Later today.

Ryan741

I despise Angry Joe.

juxtapose

. .does these actuals ever really differ much?

Robopadna

Quote from: juxtapose on May 22, 2017, 01:36:02 PM
. .does these actuals ever really differ much?

They can, but in virtually every case it is a marginal change, if any.

gantarat

gantarat

Sorry to ask again (For sure) but How much does a movie need to gross to be break-even ?

300 ? 400 ?

Robopadna

Quote from: gantarat on May 22, 2017, 02:08:31 PM
Ask again ? How much does a movie need to gross to be break-even ?

300 ? 400 ?

If it wants to do it on straight box office...   a lot...  450+.  There are other revenue streams and the under performing box office will be off set through other means, most likely.  The box office is still king though and Fox will definitely take notice of this not being the tent pole franchise they thought it was.

Fire Marshall Bill

Covenant had the most promo, trailers, and footage before its release out of any movie this year that I can remember honestly, and to be quite frank it flopped here in America. 36 million isn't too good and when numbers tally up may not even take over gotg2 for this weekend, was that close according to comingsoon.net. Mixed to bad reviews I think killed this plus the fact that they prolly over estimated the public even wanting another alien movie. Die hard fans will always want more alien films, its just what we do. Everyone else apparently could care less and it showed. I know there is no 3D so that kinda of deflates numbers but it is im IMAX where I happened to see it for 21 bucks and still should have made more money. The suits definitely cannot be pleased with this past weekends numbers that's for sure. I could care less about how well it does to be honest only for the simple reason to get another movie. Hopefully they let him wrap it up with the last film but I seriously doubt they will allow or green light 2 more sequels/prequels like he had been saying. Even Ridley has to be kind of shocked and disappointed with the numbers as he was boasting before its release that he would immediately try to start production on the next film, as if to say I know covenant will be a hit so I'm gonna go right into the next one. I don't know if it will be that simple now. They really need to listen to the criticism on the cgi and pacing of movie. They cannot satisfy everyone's wishes for what the sequel is to bring, but the consensus is the cgi looked bad at times and the pacing of the movie in third act was way too fast. I think if he is allowed to follow covenant up within a year and some change like he said he would like, he should very well pay close attention to what people attacked about covenant. Covenant was great until honestly David saved them imo. I like David in the movie, but the movie up to that point was almost flawless or reallly really good at least. Pacing was great, character interaction, atmosphere. Then once they got to citadel, the movie switched and I kinda was waiting for it to go back to the way it was on th he first half, which it never did. I did like covenant, but I can see where he messed up on it and how or why it didn't do as well as they thought it would. Gotg2 has something to do with it as well, but they wanted that spot for covenant so I'm sure they definitely anticipated it doing a lot better. Hopeful it makes up ground worldwide and they make enough to say , let him finish it

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 02:12:33 PM

300 ? 400 ?

If it wants to do it on straight box office...   a lot...  450+.  There are other revenue streams and the under performing box office will be off set through other means, most likely.  The box office is still king though and Fox will definitely take notice of this not being the tent pole franchise they thought it was.

Well that is downright damning. At this rate I don't even know if it will do 200 million at the WW box office.

Edit: Does anyone have any silver lining to add to this? Cause I don't anymore and still have yet to move past denial stage of the stages of grief with how this has turned out.

Robopadna

Quote from: cucuchu on May 22, 2017, 02:21:27 PM
Quote from: Robopadna on May 22, 2017, 02:12:33 PM

300 ? 400 ?

Well that is downright damning. At this rate I don't even know if it will do 200 million at the WW box office.

Edit: Does anyone have any silver lining to add to this? Cause I don't anymore and still have yet to move past denial stage of the stages of grief with how this has turned out.

I mean the silver lining is if you like the movie you liked the movie, regardless of how much it made.

newbeing

yeah... if there is a next movie expect a big cut in budget and/or a PG-13 rating.

Hubbs

Well figures are in and its not what the studios are hoping for so far, average at best. Not forgetting international figures are already in week 2.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/alien-covenant-box-office-analysis-ridley-scott-1202439346/#article-comments

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/alien-covenant/alien-covenant-stalks-top-us-box-office/

Worldwide total about 117 million thus far, which is reasonable, but not great for such a franchise as this. Considering how many big flicks are coming up this doesn't look good at all.

I can't see this film holding out. It will probably get a third sequel but I'm not sure if that will survive unless Scott ties things up pretty neatly. We won't be getting 6 movies that's for sure.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed