Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,618 times)

Richman678

Wow then these numbers are terrible...we may want to start worrying about a sequel

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 21, 2017, 11:00:48 PM

I guess Fox was hoping more IMAX theaters would book Covenant. I've never been to an IMAX theater, how much are tickets?

Almost double a movie ticket

Game_Over_Man

It's made it's budget back, but Fox will no doubt be interfering in the follow up big time. I'll be surprised if Ridley directs again - he'll be producer of course, but I can see Nicolas Refn or even Matt Reeves sinking their teeth into this.

A:C isn't a poor film, it's just average with some intriguing moments. But if you really want to re-ignite the franchise, you need Ripley back for one last stand, one last battle against the xeno's...and the corporate suits!

echobbase79

It's very frustrating that movie has under performed, but like Prometheus it can't seem to reach the mainstream audience. I thought the positive reviews were bring them in for sure. I'm not even sure it will make it's money back in the States. 

dookie

Ridley was right: the xeno was cooked. And to exacerbate matters, they completely butchered and discarded of the single most captivating aspect of these prequels in the engineers.

Good riddance. You reap what you sow.

Robopadna

Quote from: Game_Over_Man on May 21, 2017, 11:06:11 PM
It's made it's budget back, but Fox will no doubt be interfering in the follow up big time. I'll be surprised if Ridley directs again - he'll be producer of course, but I can see Nicolas Refn or even Matt Reeves sinking their teeth into this.

A:C isn't a poor film, it's just average with some intriguing moments. But if you really want to re-ignite the franchise, you need Ripley back for one last stand, one last battle against the xeno's...and the corporate suits!

No, it did not.  People need to stop saying this...   it hasn't made half of it back of just the production cost, let alone advertising and distribution.

Evanus

Oh man, I'm getting very worried.  :-[   Covenant isn't perfect, but I think Ridley deserves to finish this story.

Protozoid

Quote from: Richman678 on May 21, 2017, 10:51:22 PM
Quote from: echobbase79 on May 21, 2017, 10:44:24 PM

3,761 screens,

How many for Prometheus?
Not sure, looks like Prometheus opened on 3,396 screens in North America.  Keep in mind inflation. AvP made a couple million more in 2004 dollars and premiered on almost the same number of screens (3,395) and didn't have any premium format showings like IMAX.

These numbers definitely aren't great.  Even the estimate of $40 million is probably far below what Fox hoped for when they decided to make the movie.

As Pierre said, Ridley has better things to do.

Protozoid

Quote from: Richman678 on May 21, 2017, 11:25:19 PM
http://deadline.com/2017/05/alien-covenant-diary-of-a-wimpy-kid-everything-everything-box-office-previews-1202097673/

Pretty much 30% decline from Prometheus.
When you adjust for inflation, maybe, yeah. Even when you take into account that Covenant cost less, this one still appears to be performing below Prometheus.  AvP was probably massively more successful due to the budget.  I expect the next Alien movie will have a similar sized budget to AvP, and someone other than Ridley Scott directing. Jake Scott?

Richman678

Quote from: dookie on May 21, 2017, 11:12:32 PM
Ridley was right: the xeno was cooked. And to exacerbate matters, they completely butchered and discarded of the single most captivating aspect of these prequels in the engineers.

Good riddance. You reap what you sow.

I disagree. The xeno wasn't used properly here that's all.

Another thing I wanted to add. I know RT has a fresh rating, but most YouTube reviews for the movie pretty negative.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Protozoid on May 21, 2017, 11:31:04 PM
http://deadline.com/2017/05/alien-covenant-diary-of-a-wimpy-kid-everything-everything-box-office-previews-1202097673/

When you adjust for inflation, maybe, yeah. Even when you take into account that Covenant cost less, this one still appears to be performing below Prometheus.  AvP was probably massively more successful due to the budget.  I expect the next Alien movie will have a similar sized budget to AvP, and someone other than Ridley Scott directing. Jake Scott?

Ridley will probably have to condense the two other films into one. The story will probably go back to spaceship horror too.

bb-15

Hi Elijah;
From box office mojo;
- AVP did alright.
Production Budget: $60 million
Worldwide box office: $172,544,654   
That is box office which is about 2.87 times the production budget

Compare that with "Covenant" after its first weekend in the US. Realize it will make more money in theaters after this.
Production Budget: $97 million
To match AVP multiply that by 2.87 which = about $278 million.
I'm certain that "Covenant" will make more than that in theaters.
Currently its Worldwide box office is at:    $117,881,862.
And there is a long way to go.

;)   

BishopShouldGo

The xeno isn't cooked. It's just not all you should offer. This movie was very reactionary in the same way AvPR was. How do you go from Prometheus to a couple of CGI xenos...

Game_Over_Man

Quote from: Robopadna on May 21, 2017, 11:14:09 PM
Quote from: Game_Over_Man on May 21, 2017, 11:06:11 PM

No, it did not.  People need to stop saying this...   it hasn't made half of it back of just the production cost, let alone advertising and distribution.

Globally the takings are just under $120m. The movie's budget is estimated no more than $110m...I'd say it's made it's money back. WITH DVD/RENTALS you're looking around $300m - ok, not as strong as Prometheus, but by no means a flop.

Alien 5 probably coming sooner than we think, for Fox's sake.

cucuchu

Quote from: echobbase79 on May 21, 2017, 11:44:45 PM

Ridley will probably have to condense the two other films into one. The story will probably go back to spaceship horror too.

This.

I can see them making one more. There is still a way to keep the David storyline and allow for the origination of the alien to be a bit more....well, alien. All is not lost and there is a silver lining to this so long as it does not completely flop and lose Fox a ton of money. Ridley Scott will be forced to answer to critism, which is good, and hopefully he can still work in his obvious true passion element of this - the story of David.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed