Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance

Started by John73, May 14, 2017, 05:51:54 PM

Author
Alien: Covenant Box Office Performance (Read 283,596 times)

cucuchu

Quote from: Denton Smalls on May 16, 2017, 12:04:02 AM
I'm only an Alien/Predator fan so I don't know how it goes with other popular franchises like Star Wars & Star Trek but does anyone know if "fans" that spew overwhelming negativity exist in those communities also?

Unfortunately I have to take a breather from here for a day or two and I'm wondering if anyone else feels like this because there's being critical and then there's just plain old bashing which I feel like has a lot more to do with the person than the topic at hand.

Did I love Predators and Prometheus? No. But I enjoyed the hell out of the experience of going to see the first solo Predator movie in 20 years and to see Ridley Scott dip his toe back into a saga he created.

And guess what? I'm going to enjoy the hell out of going to see the first real solo Alien movie with "Alien" in the title since I was 13 and got surprised by my Dad to see Resurrection in the theater. P.S. I didn't love that film either but nor did I say I hope they bury the series because of it.

Edit!

"Overwhelming" isn't exactly fair. That's pushing it.

Communities like this are far more critical, yea. Do not let the negativity bother you. General consensus is its a good movie, so enjoy it like most people are.

Denton Smalls

Quote from: cucuchu on May 16, 2017, 12:11:57 AM
I'm only an Alien/Predator fan so I don't know how it goes with other popular franchises like Star Wars & Star Trek but does anyone know if "fans" that spew overwhelming negativity exist in those communities also?

Unfortunately I have to take a breather from here for a day or two and I'm wondering if anyone else feels like this because there's being critical and then there's just plain old bashing which I feel like has a lot more to do with the person than the topic at hand.

Did I love Predators and Prometheus? No. But I enjoyed the hell out of the experience of going to see the first solo Predator movie in 20 years and to see Ridley Scott dip his toe back into a saga he created.

And guess what? I'm going to enjoy the hell out of going to see the first real solo Alien movie with "Alien" in the title since I was 13 and got surprised by my Dad to see Resurrection in the theater. P.S. I didn't love that film either but nor did I say I hope they bury the series because of it.

Edit!

Communities like this are far more critical, yea. Do not let the negativity bother you. General consensus is its a good movie, so enjoy it like most people are.

Cheers 🍻, yea critical is good and honestly I've been scrounging these boards for the last five years to hear different thoughts on things like the black goo and without being critical thinkers, those speculations wouldn't exist so I didn't mean to suggest stifling or censoring necessarily. I hope that didn't come off too dickish.

gantarat

gantarat

China release on 16 June.

Between Alien and Transformers (3D) no doubt which movies that chiness people would choose to watch.

cucuchu

Quote from: gantarat on May 16, 2017, 12:53:41 AM

Between Alien and Transformers (3D) no doubt which movies that chiness people whould choose to watch.

I feel like an idiot for asking but.... Which one? No idea what is popular there :-\

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: cucuchu on May 16, 2017, 01:12:53 AM

Between Alien and Transformers (3D) no doubt which movies that chiness people whould choose to watch.

I feel like an idiot for asking but.... Which one? No idea what is popular there :-\

Transformers and 3D very big deal in china.
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&country=CH&id=transformers4.htm

Protozoid

Edit!

Any time you get a bunch of like-minded people in a mob, things can get ugly.  Fans are no different.  I loved Prometheus, and any time I post anything positive about it anywhere on the internet, even here, I always receive a string of condescending replies explaining that I am wrong.  I was even cyber-stalked on the IMDB boards by Alien fans who took my affection for that movie as a personal affront.  It's insane and you have to decide how much of that insanity you want to expose yourself to.

cucuchu

Quote from: gantarat on May 16, 2017, 01:19:58 AM

Thanks for the info!

Is the Alien franchise fairly well known there? Seems like there should be room for both to coexist and get decent numbers, especially in China.

gantarat

gantarat

Quote from: cucuchu on May 16, 2017, 02:34:37 AM
Quote from: gantarat on May 16, 2017, 01:19:58 AM

Thanks for the info!

Is the Alien franchise fairly well known there? Seems like there should be room for both to coexist and get decent numbers, especially in China.

Alien franchise it's well know everywhere It's could be get decent number on first week but i don't expect too much after Transformers get release week later.

Chiness people love watch Action 3D than Scifi Horror.

don't mention Pirates of the Caribbean and Guardians of the Galaxy that probably still on theater when Alien get release.

3D Rule China.

fiveways

Star Trek and Star Wars fans are worse simply by numbers.  You cannot hope to avoid it as there are so goddamn many of them.

Are you annoyed that people are destroying a movie or your nostalgia surrounding it?  The last paragraph sounds more like you want to hold onto that youthful feeling of seeing a movie for the first time which is f**king awesome.  If that is the case reading forums with a pretty large divide in what fans wanted might seriously impact it.  Might be best to disappear for a month and come back after everyone has got it out of their systems.

I really enjoy Prometheus.  I actually think there is a movie better than Aliens in there and it was kinda ruined by action beats every few minutes and shady editing.  I love that movie when I sit down and think about it and dislike the way it was made.  There are others around here that feel that way.  We were more interested in the mystery in a Lovecraft/Giger sort of way.  Now that is pretty much dead.  When a franchise does that it's going to get rough and people will voice their displeasure. 

Denton Smalls

Denton Smalls

Quote from: Naf Neila on May 15, 2017, 11:46:09 PM
@Denton Smalls

If you love the Alien saga so much, why are you willing to settle for mediocre Alien movies?

What's the alternative?

Quote from: Protozoid on May 16, 2017, 01:53:14 AM

Edit!

Any time you get a bunch of like-minded people in a mob, things can get ugly.  Fans are no different.  I loved Prometheus, and any time I post anything positive about it anywhere on the internet, even here, I always receive a string of condescending replies explaining that I am wrong.  I was even cyber-stalked on the IMDB boards by Alien fans who took my affection for that movie as a personal affront.  It's insane and you have to decide how much of that insanity you want to expose yourself to.

That sucks you had to go through that man.

Appreciate the feedback all. I'll let the thread fall back into it's intended BO discussion. Don't want to muck it up too much.

cucuchu

Seems to be a large influx of positive reviews from Ebert.com, New York Times and other critics with a lot of pull here in the United States (causing RT to go up from 75 to 77),  so that might give some good momentum for Alien Covenant heading into its debut week here.

Robopadna

Quote from: cucuchu on May 17, 2017, 11:32:54 AM
Seems to be a large influx of positive reviews from Ebert.com, New York Times and other critics with a lot of pull here in the United States (causing RT to go up from 75 to 77),  so that might give some good momentum for Alien Covenant heading into its debut week here.

Right now the estimates are varying wildly.  Fox is playing it safe and trying to really low ball it to avoid embarrassment and are apparently predicting a 35 million dollar opening.  Other sites are predicting up to a 50 million dollar opening.

It's somewhat interesting to note that Fox took the same approach with Prometheus and estimated an opening in the 30s and it actually opened to about 51 million.

oberonqa

oberonqa

Wow!  That Ebert review especially is high praise.  All the more impressive considering how he hated the original Alien way back in 79.  This review alone will help fill seats, as I know a lot of people take Ebert's reviews very seriously and for him to make statements like "This is one of Scott's best-directed movies and one of his most entertaining overall" and "It's rare to see such a combination of technical mastery and wicked joy in a film by a director who's been working as long as Scott." is quite powerful.

gantarat

Quote from: oberonqa on May 17, 2017, 12:59:27 PM

Wow!  That Ebert review especially is high praise.  All the more impressive considering how he hated the original Alien way back in 79.  This review alone will help fill seats, as I know a lot of people take Ebert's reviews very seriously and for him to make statements like "This is one of Scott's best-directed movies and one of his most entertaining overall" and "It's rare to see such a combination of technical mastery and wicked joy in a film by a director who's been working as long as Scott." is quite powerful.

You know he didn't write movies review since 2013 ?

cucuchu

cucuchu

Quote from: oberonqa on May 17, 2017, 12:59:27 PM

Well the man is quite dead at the moment so its not his statement, but reviewers affiliated with him hold a good bit of sway.

Quote from: Robopadna on May 17, 2017, 12:52:25 PM

Right now the estimates are varying wildly.  Fox is playing it safe and trying to really low ball it to avoid embarrassment and are apparently predicting a 35 million dollar opening.  Other sites are predicting up to a 50 million dollar opening.

It's somewhat interesting to note that Fox took the same approach with Prometheus and estimated an opening in the 30s and it actually opened to about 51 million.

Ah yes, I do remember this! I suppose I can understand the approach, but it could potentially do much better and I am optimistically going to predict a 54 million opening weekend. I have noticed some apathy amongst coworkers and friends towards Guardians of the Galaxy 2,  and a lot of them excited for Alien Covenant (a few who are not even familiar with the franchise and do not even know about Prometheus). So we will see... I will be there opening night tomorrow at the 10pm showing and then again Saturday afternoon with my wife, so how packed the cinema is will be a good gauge for me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed