Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe

Started by Omega1, Apr 14, 2012, 09:04:40 AM

Author
Prometheus: Alien Universe or Mass Effect Universe (Read 27,147 times)

SM

QuoteThis is exactly what happened with the Star Wars prequels, the design and functionality looked/worked completely different to that of the Star Wars originals. Mhm yeap people pulled out the same old excuse of "no, it just looks more sleeker, so your opinion is wrong", and don't even get me started on the damn midichlorians BS which ruined the concept of the force completely!

Your opinion IS wrong.  Saved me the trouble.  There's a very obvious through line with design from prequels to originals which suits both time periods.  The fact you don't like has no bearing on it.

Midichlorians have nothing to with design.

QuoteI am also sick of seeing spaceships and such done in CGI when it looks a whole lot less convincing than miniature models

:laugh:

stroggificated

Quote from: Omega1 on Apr 14, 2012, 09:04:40 AM
Well ever since the first technology shots of Prometheus were released to the public I instantly recognised the style, but not in the way I had hoped. Instead of looking like the "Alien" universe, Prometheus (movie) is now looking an awful lot like the "Mass Effect" Universe (and yes I know they are both set within an Earth based universe reality-wise, but thematically they each have very different styles).

I just am not getting the "Alien" vibe, instead I am seeing what looks like a prequel to Mass Effect, here's what I mean:

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg854/scaled.php?server=854&filename=masspromcomp3.jpg&res=landing

I never really cared for "Mass Effect", but that isn't the point, I am just disappointed in the fact I am not really seeing the "Alien" universe in what has been shown in Prometheus (which is quite clear supposed to be set in the "Alien" universe)...

Perhaps most of you won't/don't see the resemblance, but I thought it would be amusing to see what other people have to say on the subject, especially from people who perhaps care about the ''Alien'' franchise.

I fully agree with you. I thought about Mass Effect instantly, when i saw this style. And i hate Riddles for jumping on the hipster bandwagon.

ThisBethesdaSea

The bigger question might be..even if it does resemble some designs from ME...so the fu€k what,why is that bad?. :) Ultimately, that's not the case. Evidence of the origins of the design for Prometheus (largley unused Ron Cobb designs) have been given as well as a comparison to a space film from the 60s and still you don't relent.

I'll assert this for the last time, because to me this is absolutely apparent...Prometheus looks and feels more like A L I E N then any sequel film I've seen despite some of the more modern design elements. If the story works well, and Ridley knocks this out of the park, NONE of this will matter.

Kol

the more i read/inform about this movie it becomes less A L I E N. and i like it.
i want a philosophical masterpiece (with generic ship design, lol) about ancient astronauts & our origin and no creature feature, like alien was. sure the trailer feels a lot like alien cos it simulates a lot of what stands for alien, but i think that's not the goal of the movie, to be an alien hybrid.

ThisBethesdaSea

Space Sweeper

It just makes me happy to see people letting go of Alien as their basis of what this movie should be-- or will be.

ThisBethesdaSea

Often times with fanboys (I'm a fanboy by the way), when they get their wishes granted in terms of their favorite director returning to a genre they secretly want everything to be the same. In essence, they want the same film made again. I wrote this a few months back, and again.....Prometheus will be successful if we can let it. It's NOT ALIEN, and clearly, Ridley Scott doesn't want it to be. Let it go. It's not gonna change.

Omega1

Omega1

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 15, 2012, 01:26:06 PM
Often times with fanboys (I'm a fanboy by the way), when they get their wishes granted in terms of their favorite director returning to a genre they secretly want everything to be the same. In essence, they want the same film made again. I wrote this a few months back, and again.....Prometheus will be successful if we can let it. It's NOT ALIEN, and clearly, Ridley Scott doesn't want it to be. Let it go. It's not gonna change.

I am passionate about the Alien universe, and I don't expect to see the same movie as the previous one (Alien was quite different to Aliens, and I loved them both). What I expect to see though is some recognition to the universe that the movie is based in (even Alien 3 and Resurrection delivered on this). With Prometheus it has been made clear that it is set in the Alien universe, yet I and many others are not seeing the "Alien" universe, only what seems to be something of a strange imitation overshadowed by something that wants to be its own thing.

mastermoon

Take a look at many video games, for example Metroid has lots of similarities to Alien. Resident Evil would copy Idea's from Alien, Night of the Living Dead, The Thing.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Kol on Apr 15, 2012, 12:30:28 PMi want a philosophical masterpiece (with generic ship design, lol) about ancient astronauts & our origin and no creature feature, like alien was.

Sorry Kol, but 'philosophical masterpiece' and 'ancient astronauts' is a bit of a self fulfilling prophecy. It's the dry heat. ;)

Omega1

Omega1

Quote from: mastermoon on Apr 15, 2012, 03:46:07 PM
Take a look at many video games, for example Metroid has lots of similarities to Alien. Resident Evil would copy Idea's from Alien, Night of the Living Dead, The Thing.

Yeap, you are right, but you are still missing the point.

This is the last time I am going to state this, so I am going to dumb this down as best I can.

In Appearance:
Alien Universe = Alien Universe
Mass Effect Universe = Mass Effect Universe
Prometheus = Mass Effect Universe

In detail:
Mass Effect no looky looky like Alien.
Metroid looky looky like Alien, so yes to the inspiration excuse, but Prometheus no looky looky like Alien. *Sound Alarm*
Prometheus looky looky like Mass Effect. *Sound Alarm*
Prometheus an Alien prequel (whether you like it or not people). *Sound Alarm*

At this point you either get it or you don't. :-X

Nightmare Asylum

I still think that the interior of Prometheus looks very similar (though a bit cleaner) to the Nostromo. And the Transport looks very similar to the Colonial Marines' APC.

The stuff is a lot more sleek, that's for sure, but I'm willing to accept that. This is, after all, a modern day film taking a different approach. Plus, its simple to say that Prometheus, being a science ship, is better equipped than the Nostromo, a run-down mining ship. The differences in style aren't jarring enough to take me out of the film in any way.

Deuterium

Quote from: SM on Apr 15, 2012, 10:41:56 AM
QuoteI am also sick of seeing spaceships and such done in CGI when it looks a whole lot less convincing than miniature models

http://p1.la-img.com/930/18669/6321572_2_l.jpg
http://anotherplotdevice.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/sunshine-icarus-ii.jpg
:laugh:

SM, I recognize the 2nd (bottom) pic from "Sunshine"...but what the heck is the top pic from?  It is just a series of blurs.

Capovin

Not mass effect at all, something else maybe, but how are those two space ships even remotely similar? And the space suits, the mass effect one is like some sort of metal armor, the Prometheus one just looks like a sleek space suit. The only similar thing is the transport, which honestly the prometheus one looks more like the aliens one than the mass effect one. If you honestly get a "Mass Effect" vibe from the trailers I dont know what to say, but I highly doubt you do. It feels like it's own thing.

mastermoon

Prometheus has ships and vehicles similar to Aliens.

Drop Ship.

Armored Personal Carrier.

Those look just like the ships we seen in Prometheus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed