When we could see Alien Awakening

Started by Anthony, Mar 24, 2017, 02:50:08 AM

Author
When we could see Alien Awakening (Read 1,833 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Anthony on Mar 24, 2017, 04:05:20 PM
Also, slightly off topic, but I wish Ridley was doing Wraiths instead of Cartel.

Would be nice to see a Ridley Scott Western, he's done plenty of crime drama/thrillers before.

Interestingly, Scott did location scouting beginning of the year in Mexico and Spain for The Cartel. So looks like he was originally intending to shoot that next but has since switched to All The Money In The World. And "ouch" at all the ladies turning poor Riddles down!  :laugh:

BishopShouldGo

And remember guys, Bichir recently said Covenant is different because Ridley is in the captain chair. He's not producing and having a for-hire guy do it. Which Bichir likely wouldn't have signed up for.

Ridley directing is the attraction for all. Ridley can't hand it off to his son. His son hasn't proved to be a viable choice. He's another Carl Rinsch.

Scorpio

Scorpio

Ridley is a champ, a lot of 80 year olds I know can barely move, but this guy directs 2-3 movies per year.

Anyway, I bet we won't see it before 2020.

Marcus9000

Let's be honest here. Odds on us getting another Alien movie from Ridley unless he films it straight away, as in, now... Is pretty slim.

He is 80. So without sounding grim he may not have many movies left.

Plus as people age they do sometimes need to slow down or suffer from ill health.

So in my opinion (and I could be wrong, but I am a betting man) unless Ridley's next film in preproduction is the next chapter in his Alien franchise, then I don't think he will make another one as director.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Marcus9000

Quote from: Scorpio on Mar 25, 2017, 03:44:24 AM
Ridley is a champ, a lot of 80 year olds I know can barely move, but this guy directs 2-3 movies per year.

Anyway, I bet we won't see it before 2020.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but Ridley Scott over the last ten years or so hasn't made 2 films in a year let alone 3.

Modern filmmaking means very few if any directors can make 2 films in a year, regardless of age.

Only way they could do 2 in a year is let someone else produce & write, and backs ally turn up like a hired hand. The top guys like Ridley & Spielberg bring their own vision to it. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Evanus

Evanus

I think he'll direct one more movie after Covenant, and then he'll produce the other movies. But who knows, maybe he'll be able to direct all of them!

SpeedyMaxx

SpeedyMaxx

Did Carl Rinsch even direct a feature? I can't recall. I think Luke Scott is talented, but he's not his father. His time for something solid may yet come.

Ridley is a supreme visualist, director and concept man, but he needs at least one steadying hand working with the creative elements outside of just himself. That was true 30-40 years ago and it's true today. That doesn't mean he isn't now one of the old masters with an incredible body of work and a remarkable level of skill and an intense work ethic - even his bad films are striking, and The Counselor, one of the most gonzo and ridiculous movies I have ever seen in my life is spellbinding in both its bad/madness and its visual majesty. He is a brilliant businessman in addition to director who has reinvented himself many times, coming out of a number of ruts and failures. But he is not invincible, which is part of why this film is happening as it is. Covenant is a calculation for him, and it will likely be a solid one numbers-wise even if I personally find what we know of the plot to be a disappointment - I still expect the overall film to be impeccably produced, directed and lensed, and to be a fun if derivative time.

Point being: Even guys like John Ford, Howard Hawks, etc. did stinkers. Same with a Steven Spielberg or Bertolucci or Coppola or whoever else today. Scott is no different, he is just far more skilled and canny (or cynical) at dancing the line between art and commerce than almost any of them. I can't fault him for that. He's crazy like a fox.

Anthony

Anthony

Carl Rinsch directed 47 Ronin.

SpeedyMaxx

Ah, yes. That.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed