A Return to Giger's Alien Design?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 02, 2016, 07:44:08 AM

Author
A Return to Giger's Alien Design? (Read 3,115 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 02, 2016, 04:26:11 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jun 02, 2016, 04:23:10 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 02, 2016, 02:16:37 PM
No way!  Do they actually know who that used to be?  Creepy!

His girlfriend.

I thought he had her skeleton hanging in the entrance to his home?

Ah ok, maybe that was what I was thinking of. Interesting fella this Giger.

T Dog

T Dog

The unused Ultramorph designs were really cool, would like to see them in live action. If the
Spoiler
squid thing
[close]
is allegedly making a come back then hopefully they'll actually show a very cool adult Deacon too and not let that silly final shot of Prometheus be for nothing.

Valaquen

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 02, 2016, 02:08:58 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jun 02, 2016, 01:49:26 PM
Anybody know if that was a real skull or a replica?  It would be an odd way for an actor to play a part in a movie after dying..

Pretty sure it was a real one. I'll double check.

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 02, 2016, 01:43:15 PM
I think what they mean is the skull will be there like it was in Alien, maybe slightly more visible.

Yeah, that's my thinking.

Yep, real skull:

"The plaster shop took a full cast of the actor, full body cast and mounted it standing up on its toes on a wooden base and Giger put it into his studio and he began to build up on it with clay and bones, an air conditioning duct, screws, and human skulls – the face of the thing is a real human skull. He took the skull and jammed it right on the front, riveted it in place, and then started modifying it ..."

https://alienseries.wordpress.com/2012/10/21/the-eighth-passenger/

Disclaimer for that quote: it's O'Bannon's recollection; Giger said (if I remember correctly) in his diary that he made a cast of a real skull that he owned. Since he was cutting it into pieces I don't think he wanted to use the real one. I will absolutely have to double-check that, though. There are plenty of real animal bones in the suit, though.

Infected

What if we gonna see a Xerxes kinda engineer sitting on a throne with those xeno's next to him sitting as dogs.
Anybody cool with that?

Godzillakuj94

Maybe it's just me, but reading that makes it sound like it won't have the dome or skull...?

genocyber

Just because they might put it in, doesn't mean we'll actually see it under the lighting. Predalien Queen had a translucent dome but you'd have never been able to tell.

frenchfries

Quote from: CainsSon on Jun 02, 2016, 04:28:51 PM
That early concept art that was released a few weeks back (that 'Got the artist the job'); both images depicted the alien with the human skull prominent - most notable - IN FRONT of the dome.

That also ties into the description of the Alien in the Spaihts script where he describes the skull as being easy to ascertain behind a thin layer of skin. I have a feeling we are in for an interesting new proto-Alien design and if Spaihts ideas make it in (sexburster), I'd love to see the version of the Alien that can squeeze itself through things, like encephlopods (spelling?).
which concept art? can you link it please

whiterabbit

Although I'd love to see the originally intended vision of the alien. I'd also love if they'd put the beluga alien in this as well.

Perfect-Organism

Note the position of the eyes on that Beluga whale.  That is an infinitely better position for the eyes on the Alien then in the front like on a skull.  It would just be so much creepier this way.  It is where the side bulges are on the chest burster, and that creates a suggestion that it is where the eyes would be. 

426Buddy

I think the skull is one of the creepiest things about big chap, even if it was not very visable. But I don't think the eysockets of the skull should ever be intended for use as eyes. I prefer the alien to have no true eyes at all.

Perfect-Organism

I know what you're saying, but if you have the eye sockets there, it will have the appearance of eyes, and it will somehow humanize the Alien.  I'm telling you its no good.  The Alien as it appeared in Alien and Aliens is a work of perfection.  The hard core fans will understand the eyes, but the casual fan will say the alien aesthetic has been destroyed or diminished.  There goes the phallic head..

whiterabbit

These things don't have eyes; do they? I mean skull holes, yea. The skull itself is just a remnant left from the dna of a human host anyway. It's more meant to strike fear into the movie goer than to be of any use to the alien.

oduodu

oduodu

I think this was Giger working on the skull in the dome or perhaps building the dome. I hope the sockets and skull will always be slightly visible. The eye less skull always made me feel some part of the chestbursted victim was trapped inside the xeno. Trying to get out. I hope they always stick with that. I have no idea if it is a real skull. Always thought it was. Big chap was more demonic where the ridge head aliens were just too well designed. They looked very much TOO efficient for what they were designed to do whereas big chap made you feel there was that semi human element trapped inside. Like someone who has died and finds himself trapped inside the grim reaper. Seeing himself being killed over and over. There was none of that Aliens. Still aliens is technically one if the best action flicks and I still love it. I am just saturated by it. Big chap was methodical always busy with archaic scheme beyond our understanding.  Where as the ridge head aliens seemed to be waiting like a spider or ant lion for a passer by. Less evil if you will.

Perfect-Organism

I can't recall a single scene in Alien where you could see the skull behind the dome.  One can only make that connection after seeing some of the concept art in various books.

oduodu

You're right. Was the skull visible in aliens ?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed