Alien: Sea of Sorrows Audio Drama

Started by Corporal Hicks, Mar 18, 2018, 06:55:11 PM

Author
Alien: Sea of Sorrows Audio Drama (Read 11,284 times)

HybridNewborn

I must say, Sea of Sorrows was superb! :) I found it a little tricky to get through the book and don't remember a lot of the fine details, but having it actually played out on audio greatly enhanced the story for me.

Spoiler
While it was indeed a bit of an Aliens to OotS's Alien, interviews with the author have revealed that that was always the intent. Fox wanted this to be a bit of a soft reboot, setting all the pieces back on the board after Resurrection. Dekar was great to hear played by a real person, John Chancer really brings him to life. Same with the rest of the cast.

I was expecting to learn more about the dog aliens here, but I guess we're leaving that to another time, if any.

I also appreciated the way they worked natural sounding conversations about world happenings since Resurrection's ending into the script, didn't sound info-dumpy at all, so good job there :)
[close]

I wonder what they're gonna do next year... if they start on the Rage War trilogy, they'll be presumably locked in on that for the next three years. Due to when these books were originally written, there's a fair number of winks and nods to Isolation in these tales, so it'd be interesting for that to get adapted as well.

We've also got the new Cold Forge novel, which is fantastic, and I very much wouldn't mind hearing adapted at some point in the future, though I don't know if there's a standard grace period on this sort of thing. Out of the Shadows would have gone into production only about a year after the book came out...

There's also the film prologue novels, like Covenant Origins, and Hunters and Hunted, that they could adapt. I'm not sure I'd be super interested in Covenant Origins though, as it's more of a thriller than a horror, and doesn't really feature the creatures at all...

I guess while I'm listing everything off, there's also the comics (Fire & Stone / Life & Death could be quite epic), older novels (Original Sin, please and thank you), doing expanded adaptions of the films themselves (like the Star Wars radio dramas), or even writing original screenplays (is that still the right word for a non-visual medium?) for new audios.

Either way, looking forward to more! (And I do so hope they start putting out, like, two a year or something :3 )

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Denton Smalls on Apr 27, 2018, 10:12:13 PMOff topic question but why wasn't his character in the Fire & Stone series? Doesn't he...

Spoiler
get off of Hadley's Hope in the Onager?
[close]

Spoiler
No. He escapes on a different ship with another Marine, one of the W-Y scientists and a little girl. The Onager leaves some time before he escapes.
[close]

Denton Smalls

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 30, 2018, 10:28:40 AM
Quote from: Denton Smalls on Apr 27, 2018, 10:12:13 PMOff topic question but why wasn't his character in the Fire & Stone series? Doesn't he...

Spoiler
get off of Hadley's Hope in the Onager?
[close]

Spoiler
No. He escapes on a different ship with another Marine, one of the W-Y scientists and a little girl. The Onager leaves some time before he escapes.
[close]

Ohhh that's right! Maybe he'll run into Hooper from Out of the Shadows...

Prez

Prez

So I'm about 25 mins in ... I like how they started with the interrogation/interview scene first.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Dirk Maggs did it again! Very entertaining but I'd like to give it a few more listens to really match voices to characters. I'd also like to give it a listen in one sitting which I was unable to do this time around. Here's to hoping the Rage War trilogy gets the Maggs treatment!

The Cruentus

I definitely liked the audio version, the amount of significant changes was interesting but not unwelcome, the mercenaries are a tad more white hat than in the novel which I suppose makes them more likeable as characters to follow though I didn't mind the grayness of the novel.

HybridNewborn

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 04, 2018, 11:09:27 AM
I definitely liked the audio version, the amount of significant changes was interesting but not unwelcome, the mercenaries are a tad more white hat than in the novel which I suppose makes them more likeable as characters to follow though I didn't mind the grayness of the novel.

Would you (or anyone else, for that matter) happen to have a shortlist of the changes made? It's been so long since I read the book...

The Cruentus

Sure, I have been updating the page on our wiki, its a bit rushed at the moment but here it is http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Alien:_Sea_of_Sorrows_(audio_drama) This goes without saying but spoiler alert.

HybridNewborn

Thanks much! :)

Huggs

Huggs

Glad to hear so many people are liking it. I loved the first 2 and can't wait to give this one a listen. Here's hoping they start on Earth Hive or the first AVP novel next.

HybridNewborn

Quote from: Huggs on May 04, 2018, 11:06:15 PM
Glad to hear so many people are liking it. I loved the first 2 and can't wait to give this one a listen. Here's hoping they start on Earth Hive or the first AVP novel next.
I would confidently say that this is the best of the audios yet. Out of the Shadows had the somewhat expositiony updates from Ash, summarizing the situation thus far as if this were episodes being played in weekly radio installments. River of Pain had the narration-provide date & time stamps all over the place, and the cutting back and forth between Hadley's Hope and the frankly filler segments with Ripley (though it was great hearing Lefkow reprise the roll and expand on those scenes).

This one doesn't have any of that stuff; it works setting exposition naturally into the dialogue, everyone's well fleshed out, we occasionally cut up to the mothership in orbit but it's all involved in the same ongoing plot, everyone got great characterization, etc. The team behind these adaptions just gets better with every entry :)

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Gave this another listen while I deep cleaned the shit out of my house. I enjoyed it much more this time listening to it in one sitting as it made matching voices to characters much easier. Is the med pod with kasyanov in the novel? It's been a while since I read it and I do not remember that at all.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Yes, but it's much less gruesome in the book - Ash just cuts her throat with a laser scalpel instead of completely vivisecting her as in the drama.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Well I remember  that happening in "Out of the Shadows" but in this audio drama there's a whole subplot where Rollins recovers the medpod with the mummified remains of Kasyanov. I really don't recall this happening in the "Sea of Sorrows"  novel.

Corporal Hicks

I don't believe that's in the book. I'm currently re-reading prior to listening to this so I can confirm soon!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed