Newt / Carrie Henn in Alien 5?

Started by Perfect-Organism, Feb 25, 2015, 08:43:21 PM

Author
Newt / Carrie Henn in Alien 5? (Read 17,764 times)

Samus007

Samus007

Quote from: Rankles75 on Mar 05, 2015, 11:31:27 PM
Still don't think you can do better than Juno Temple for a grown up Newt. Uncanny likeness...

Very very true.

Close Encounters

I like the idea of Newt being a marine. After the trauma she endured on Hadley's Hope as well as possibly being adopted by a marine(if, in fact, she ends up living with Ripley/Hicks as a family in Bloomkamp's new canon). I think her joining the colonial marines would give her an avenue of control over her life and might be a healthy thing for her as a character. Also, it would make her a actual threat to the xenos as opposed to the scared little girl she was in Aliens.

Plus, I like the idea of her shooting an alien, looking over at its twitching corpse and saying "You're mostly dead. Mostly." *fires a second burst, just to be sure*

MCP

MCP

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 05, 2015, 08:16:35 PM
The absence of big names is one reason why Alien and Aliens seemed so real.

Alien had Tom Skerritt who had been in a few popular films before Alien.

Aliens had Sigourney Weaver who already had done several big films (Alien, Ghostbusters).

So, not really.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I can't name a single movie that Skerritt starred in prior to Alien.  And Weaver doesn't count because Alien is what put her on the map in the first place.

So, yeah, really.

Alien Resurrection, by contrast, had way too many familiar faces.  Ron Perlman, Winona Ryder and Dan Hedaya stuck out like sore thumbs.

MCP

MCP

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 06, 2015, 04:21:14 AM
I can't name a single movie that Skerritt starred in prior to Alien.  And Weaver doesn't count because Alien is what put her on the map in the first place.

So, yeah, really.

The M.A.S.H. movie which spawned a tv series.  And Cheech & Chong's Up in Smoke.

Close Encounters

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 06, 2015, 04:21:14 AM

So, yeah, really.

The best thing about the first two Alien movies? They didn't cast stars. They made them.

Except for Carrie Henn. One and done, there.

Perfect-Organism

The more I think about it, the more I think Carrie Henn would be great.  It's such a great human story.  She could do this role and go back to teaching school.  That's so anti-Hollywood.  I love it.

Deacs1973

Deacs1973

If they do bring back the character of Newt then I'm sure they will cast the right person for the role be it Carrie Henn, Juno Temple or someone else

MCP

MCP

There's been no mention of Newt so I doubt they're bringing her back.  Her death is not so easy to retcon, unlike Hicks.  Ripley clearly saw her dead, drowned corpse.

Unless they ignore Alien 3.  But that doesn't seem to be agenda, otherwise why would Fox go to all the trouble of retconning Hick's death?

You can't retcon Newt's death, so in my books she is dead.  Until we get official confirmation otherwise.

mthasenfang

mthasenfang

Here's my two cents:

Personally, I was extremely pissed off with Alien 3. Hicks, Newt, Bishop; gone. And it took them, what...like, ten various scripts to get to that point? I call B.S. and a sloppy ass performance on the writing team to make an adequate script with a somewhat "happy ending", at least for Newt. This is a girl, who, out of almost anyone else I can think of (apart from Misty Day, AHS: Covenant), that deserves a happy ending (at the very least, a content one). Not BAM! DEAD! I damn near walked out of the theater during Aliens 3, when seeing that. Revamping the story (even if they make 3 and Resurrection just a bad Ripley dream on the ride home), is thumbs up for me. But there's something more as to why I feel that not only should they bring Newt back...but that Henn should have first dibs in being allowed to take the part.

I'm just a little over a year older than Carrie, so I was not able to see the film when it first came out. I was only 11 at the time. I have seen it on video, quite a few times afterwards though. Henn's performance, was amazing! Especially for someone with, literally, zero acting skills. I happen to be one of those who feel that, not just Newt, but Henn "made" the Aliens franchise. We put emotional effort into both her and Hicks. She was the driving factor for Ripley to keep going, when it seemed that all hope was lost, especially after having her own daughter surpass her in death. Newt was the second chance Ripley had...and even THAT was taken from her with Alien 3. Henn, brought the film and emotion back to life and Hollywood killed her off. What a crock...

That is the first part of why I feel Henn would bring back Newt's character beautifully...because she DOES need to come back. As far as I see it, if Hicks is there, so is she. Secondly, I see a lot of "she was not asking for it" remarks. This is true. She was not an actress, she did not initiate a self-audition for the part. They, literally, came into her school, while she was eating lunch and took photos of all the kids. She stuck out and they picked her. Plain and simple. Now, for a ten year old kid, who would not want to be in a film? Especially with the Ghostbusters' lady? I'm sure she loved doing it. But Carrie was also a military kid. And anyone who has lived that sort of childhood knows that you don't get to keep friends for very long, being shuffled through various towns, states and even countries; Carrie was living in England when she got the part (her dad was stationed there). After the filming of Aliens, her family moved back to California, where she was HORRIBLY mistreated and bullied for being a "kid star". Even more so, it was hard to make true friends, cause she never knew who liked her, just for being herself, or cause of her newly made fame. I say all this, cause, for all of you out there, who bicker about the so-called weight gain she has now; you seriously need to take a flying leap off a f-ng precipice!

You know why she's that way?  Take a good look at her history! Anxiety, stress, depression, abuse, bullying, persistent movement in childhood...please explain to me how none of that attributes to weight gain. As a person who has moved more times than I am old and also coming form an abusive family, I can attest to this; this type of lifestyle, hurt and ridicule DOES cause weight gain. And, though she is doing great now, I can only imagine what life would have been like for her, as just a lonely ten-year old little girl. There are times, when I do feel extremely hurt and sorry for Carrie. She was a one-hit wonder that really did not deserve any of those bad things that happened to her, at such a young age too. And what blows my mind, is the way she keeps her optimism, as she does, throughout all her life...even after they killed off her ONE childhood achievement. How much more of a bigger dick could they be? Seriously...

I'm glad she is happily married now. I'm glad she has children to enjoy and, hopefully, watch them grow up better than what she had. I'm glad she stuck to her dreams of becoming a teacher. She worked hard, pulled it off, and now is one. She deserves ALL of that. But what she deserves more, is to have the opportunity to become Newt again. This is HER character. She IS Newt. Just as much as Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker. You just don't "trade-up" a persona like that. People seem to be so worried about the weight issue...get her a trainer to get in shape, if it's that much of a deal. Come on, actors do that all the time for roles; they loose weight, they gain weight, they get in shape, they become slobs...that's all part of gearing up for the role. And Carrie should be no exception to the rule. But, if the part is open, she should have first dibs. That's just a no-brainer. At the very least, she deserves that option.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 06, 2015, 04:38:03 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think Carrie Henn would be great.  It's such a great human story.  She could do this role and go back to teaching school.  That's so anti-Hollywood.  I love it.

Agreed. Totally.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: mthasenfang on Mar 25, 2015, 05:01:32 PM
Here's my two cents:

Personally, I was extremely pissed off with Alien 3. Hicks, Newt, Bishop; gone. And it took them, what...like, ten various scripts to get to that point? I call B.S. and a sloppy ass performance on the writing team to make an adequate script with a somewhat "happy ending", at least for Newt. This is a girl, who, out of almost anyone else I can think of (apart from Misty Day, AHS: Covenant), that deserves a happy ending (at the very least, a content one). Not BAM! DEAD! I damn near walked out of the theater during Aliens 3, when seeing that. Revamping the story (even if they make 3 and Resurrection just a bad Ripley dream on the ride home), is thumbs up for me. But there's something more as to why I feel that not only should they bring Newt back...but that Henn should have first dibs in being allowed to take the part.

I'm just a little over a year older than Carrie, so I was not able to see the film when it first came out. I was only 11 at the time. I have seen it on video, quite a few times afterwards though. Henn's performance, was amazing! Especially for someone with, literally, zero acting skills. I happen to be one of those who feel that, not just Newt, but Henn "made" the Aliens franchise. We put emotional effort into both her and Hicks. She was driving factor for Ripley to keep going, when it seemed that all hope was lost, especially after having her own daughter surpass her in death. Newt was the second chance Ripley had...and even THAT was taken from her with Aliens 3. Henn, brought the film and emotion back to life and Hollywood killed her off. What a crock...

That is the first part of why I feel Henn would bring back Newt's character beautifully...because she DOES need to come back. As far as I see it, if Hicks is there, so is she. Secondly, I see a lot of "she was not asking for it" remarks. This is true. She was not an actress, she did not initiate a self-audition for the part. They, literally, came into her school, while she was eating lunch and took photos of all the kids. She stuck out and they picked her. Plain and simple. Now, for a ten year old kid, who would not want to be in a film? Especially with the Ghostbusters' lady? I'm sure she loved doing it. But Carrie was also a military kid. And anyone who has lived that sort of childhood knows that you don't get to keep friends for very long, being shuffled through various town, states and even countries; Carrie was living in England when she got the part (her dad was stationed there). After the filming of Aliens, her family moved back to California, where she was HORRIBLY treated and bullied for being a "kid star". Even more so, it was hard to make true friends, cause she never knew who liked her, just for being herself, or cause of her newly made fame. I say all this, cause, for all of you out there, who bicker about the so-called weight gain she has now; you seriously need to take a flying leap off a f-ng precipice!

You know why she's that way?  Take a good look at her history! Anxiety, stress, depression, abuse, bullying, persistent movement in childhood...please explain to me how none of that attributes to weight gain. As a person who has moved more times than I am old and also coming form an abusive family, I can attest to this; this type of lifestyle, hurt and ridicule DOES cause weight gain. And, though she is doing great now, I can only imagine what life would have been like for her, as just a lonely ten-year old little girl. There are times, when I do feel extremely hurt and sorry for Carrie. She was a one-hit wonder that really did not deserve any of those bad things that happened to her, at such a young age too. And what blows my mind, is the way she keeps her optimism, as she does, throughout all her life...even after they killed off her ONE childhood achievement. How much more of a bigger dick could they be? Seriously...

I'm glad she is happily married now. I'm glad she has children to enjoy and, hopefully, watch them grow up better than what she had. I'm glad she stuck to her dreams of becoming a teacher. She worked hard, pulled it off, and now is one. She deserves ALL of that. But what she deserves more, is to have a opportunity to become Newt again. This is HER character. She IS Newt. Just as much as Mark Hamill is Luke Skywalker. You just don't "trade-up" a persona like that. People seem to be so worried about the weight issue...get her a trainer to get in shape, if it's that much of a deal. Come on, actors do that all the time for roles; they loose weight, they gain weight, they get in shape, they become slobs...that's all part of gearing up for the role. And Carrie should be no exception to the rule. But, if the part is open, she should have first dibs. That's just a no-brainer. At the very least, she deserves that option.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Mar 06, 2015, 04:38:03 AM

Agreed. Totally.

Hmmm, I agree with you mostly.  Mostly.

mthasenfang

mthasenfang

Hahahaha...
Awesome.

reecebomb

reecebomb

I can only accept Juno Temple as an adult Newt, She is stunning! Mad respects for Carrie Henn, but she hasn't been acting since Aliens.

Corporal Hicks

I'd have nothing against Henn coming back, provided she could bring the goods. And by all accounts, she's not interested in returning to acting.

I don't see anything wrong with an actual career actor playing a recast adult Newt.

mthasenfang

mthasenfang

Quote from: reecebomb on Mar 26, 2015, 10:24:11 AM
I can only accept Juno Temple as an adult Newt, She is stunning! Mad respects for Carrie Henn, but she hasn't been acting since Aliens.

I like Juno Temple. I actually have a song about her on my new album, heh. If Carrie if offered and turns it down, I would personally pick Temple. Problem is, the age. Carrie is going on 39. Temple is in her early twenties. Tie that in with the age of both the characters of Ripley and Hicks (how they will look now), there will seem like a serious age gap difference. Not sure how they would explain that one away.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed