Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Novel 2)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 28, 2013, 12:56:28 AM

Author
Alien: Sea of Sorrows (Novel 2) (Read 53,550 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Son Of Kane on Mar 21, 2015, 08:01:05 PMThe Alien Queen can also scream in Space, I think it's stuff like this (the original Alien's whistling sound) that makes them "Alien."

No, it's physically impossible for anything to scream in space, no matter how alien it is. There's no atmosphere for the sound to travel through. It's just a goof in the film.

Lonely Universe

Funny considering the tagline :)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Well I'd imagine that was the point.

Lonely Universe

You're saying the point of the tagline was to reference the ending where Ripley blows the queen out of the airlock & you can hear her scream?

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

ah, no, I misunderstood you. Just saying the point of the tagline "In space no one can hear you scream" is that in space you really can't hear anything.

But movies pretty much always forget that fact. Except Gravity.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Machiko Naguchi on Mar 21, 2015, 04:37:22 PM
I thought I have read before that if a queen bee was lost that a new hive could be created elsewhere by a drone turning into a queen or something like that.

Regardless, I still like that theory better for the aliens and the way it has been used in some of the EU. To me it makes them much more adaptable and deadly when they hive can just keep going on and is much harder to exterminate. Rather than "oops the queen facehugger was killed so now the entire hive is f**ked" type of thing.

Yes, this was explained in Aliens: Earth Hive, when there are no drones around then the Aliens go into what is called a hormone storm and turn into a Queen; this is also happened in Aliens: Steel Egg and is reinforced by the author who studied Aliens continuity and understood the value in not deviating from it.

Machiko Naguchi

I thought I remembered it from somewhere besides a few of the video games. Its been a long time since I read those novels so I don't remember the details of the scenarios, but thanks for pointing out those examples.

Xenomorphine

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 22, 2015, 02:06:10 AM
Yes, this was explained in Aliens: Earth Hive, when there are no drones around then the Aliens go into what is called a hormone storm and turn into a Queen; this is also happened in Aliens: Steel Egg and is reinforced by the author who studied Aliens continuity and understood the value in not deviating from it.

All contradicted by 'Alien 3', sadly. One of the worst things about the story, because it destroyed the notion from, especially, the secomd film, that even one of the creatures reaching a populated area would mean disaster.

Something I'm hoping the new film reverses course on, so that they become a viable threat, again.

As for breathing, the Queen is making noises, but we don't know they're a product of breathing. Gas is being exchanged/moved around, but it could just as easily be in preparation for hissing a warning. Interestingly, I don't recall her making the sounds before she unsheathes those primary jaws.

Amd if we're going to start analysing how she screams in space, you should probably start debaing how the dropship is being heard, too - and the Nostromo and its own escape shuttle. :)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 23, 2015, 06:18:40 AMInterestingly, I don't recall her making the sounds before she unsheathes those primary jaws.

She's breathing, or making breathing-like sounds, the whole time. It's what first alerts Ripley to her presence, before the jaws slide out.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 23, 2015, 06:18:40 AM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 22, 2015, 02:06:10 AM

All contradicted by 'Alien 3', sadly. One of the worst things about the story, because it destroyed the notion from, especially, the secomd film, that even one of the creatures reaching a populated area would mean disaster.

Something I'm hoping the new film reverses course on, so that they become a viable threat, again.

As for breathing, the Queen is making noises, but we don't know they're a product of breathing. Gas is being exchanged/moved around, but it could just as easily be in preparation for hissing a warning. Interestingly, I don't recall her making the sounds before she unsheathes those primary jaws.

Amd if we're going to start analysing how she screams in space, you should probably start debaing how the dropship is being heard, too - and the Nostromo and its own escape shuttle. :)

Alien 3 didn't contradict the hormone storm theory, there could be two different ways Queens are born; one from a hormone storm and the other from a Queen/Praetorian facehugger.  AVPR actually confirms the hormone storm theory as Chet is originally a normal Alien born from a non-Queen facehugger but then changes into a juvenile queen as the story progresses.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Awwww man, SM, who's idea was this story? I'm almost halfway into it since last month..

I love the exoplanet and story but man...who brought up the stinkin idea to have a Ripley descendant again in it??? Not only that, they're psychic and connected to Aliens now? Bah.

Is there anyway to pretend this part of the book never happened? I can burn my book but what about the other copies? Ripley this Ripley that...give it a break Fox jeez! Just name the franchise Ripley already.

Amanda Ripley made great sense (although I cringed at the thought when I first heard about it..here we go with Ripley again..) because of the Nostromo black box that was found, etc...but this...is not acceptable. A psychic Ripley descendant....is a dead on arrival idea if it ever shows up in the cinema..or in another book or comic. Actually..tell them that idea never sees the light of day again.

SM

SM

I'm guessing the idea was from James Moore.  What with him writing it and all.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Jul 27, 2016, 10:04:50 PM
I'm guessing the idea was from James Moore.  What with him writing it and all.
Could have been a FOX mandate, like Ripley's inclusion in Out of the Shadows.

Corporal Hicks

I think that's correct but I'm not 100%. We may have spoken about it when we chatted with him before the book's release. http://www.avpgalaxy.net/files/podcasts/avpg_pc_episode17.mp3

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed