I hate Fiefeld SO much.

Started by bobby brown, Aug 11, 2017, 10:57:21 AM

Author
I hate Fiefeld SO much. (Read 54,101 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 27, 2017, 02:23:31 AMNot subtle enough?  He only has a few minutes screentime, if that.

Frost only had a couple of minutes screentime.

Vermillion

Vermillion

I heard that

Scorpio

Scorpio

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 29, 2017, 03:01:33 PM
Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 27, 2017, 02:23:31 AMNot subtle enough?  He only has a few minutes screentime, if that.

Aliens fanboy alert.  :P

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Intelligent retort.

Frost felt like a real person. Fifield feels like the result of shitty, forced writing.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 29, 2017, 08:02:36 PM
Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 29, 2017, 03:01:33 PM

Aliens fanboy alert.  :P

I wish more movies could be like Aliens.

Scorpio

Scorpio

I wish every movie could be Aliens.  Imagine hearing "Get away from her you bitch!" over and over again.

But I know people like Fifield.  Not every character has to be immediately likeable to the audience.  Kills realism.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 29, 2017, 10:26:50 PM
But I know people like Fifield.  Not every character has to be immediately likeable to the audience.  Kills realism.

https://local.theonion.com/awful-man-offers-witty-acerbic-take-on-everything-he-s-1819570846

SM

SM

:laugh:

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Scorpio on Oct 29, 2017, 10:26:50 PMBut I know people like Fifield.  Not every character has to be immediately likeable to the audience.  Kills realism.

It has nothing to do with him being an unlikable character and everything to do with him being a shit character.

I'm loathe to use another example from Aliens, but Burke is an unlikeable character, yet he's infinitely more engaging than Captain GO AWAY I DON'T LIKE YOU.

Scorpio

Scorpio

If I were to compare Fifield to a character in Aliens, it would be Hudson.  If Hudson was an angry loner and British.

SM

SM

So, almost opposite then.

Scorpio

Scorpio

In some ways but not in others.

SM

SM

In that, they're both white?

Paranoid Android

Paranoid Android

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Oct 30, 2017, 08:41:55 AM
It has nothing to do with him being an unlikable character and everything to do with him being a shit character.

I'm loathe to use another example from Aliens, but Burke is an unlikeable character, yet he's infinitely more engaging than Captain GO AWAY I DON'T LIKE YOU.
I wouldn't say Burke is an unlikable character. You like him in the first half of the film, and hate him in the second half, once his involvement in the Hadley's Hope disaster is revealed. That minor nitpick aside, I do agree with your point.

Fifield's problem is that he's a cartoon; It's not so much about him being "likable", but rather about his character making sense. An over the top asshole who gets lost while being a map expert and who has tobacco in his respirator doesn't work in a gritty realistic Sci Fi film that makes an attempt at being smart by dealing (or at least trying to) with deep philosophical questions. He's a comic relief character in a film that shouldn't even have comic relief. Unlike Hudson, who is a cocky marine who completely freaks out in the moment of truth, which is such a common real life character trait it has become a cliche, and is featured in a film that doesn't even attempt to deal with philosophy.

Aliens knows what it is, and its characters make sense. Prometheus tries to be something it's not, and features cartoony characters.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Oct 30, 2017, 10:34:00 AMI wouldn't say Burke is an unlikable character. You like him in the first half of the film, and hate him in the second half, once his involvement in the Hadley's Hope disaster is revealed. That minor nitpick aside, I do agree with your point.

I thought he was slimy prick from the moment you first meet him lol.

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Oct 30, 2017, 10:34:00 AMFifield's problem is that he's a cartoon; It's not so much about him being "likable", but rather about his character making sense.

But yes, this was my point.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed