Egg on Sulaco

Started by Darkness, Nov 01, 2006, 08:21:10 AM

Author
Egg on Sulaco (Read 735,299 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 21, 2021, 08:54:22 PM
People have already worked out the amount of time it takes the dropship to travel to the colony from the sulaco. He would need hours to do it not 20 minutes. It's not just a minor time discrepancy it's ginormous. Like I said also when the second drop ship arrives bishop is still on the ground and Ripley and Hicks are there to meet him.

Believe me every aspect has been combed through and given pages upon pages debate in this very thread. Bishop could not have put the eggs on the Sulaco given what we are shown in the film. You might as well say the egg just grew there by itself.

Ripley made it out of the Hive just in time and they left right before it blew up with way less than a minute to spare. That's good ol' plot armor luck. Cliché and unprobable,  but hey, it still works.

Shortly after that, Ripley managed to climb and drag herself up from an an wide open hatch leading out to open space, defying the vacuum of space while having a giant creature grabbing onto her foot. Not only that, the powerloader she used to fight it with (!) was also tangled to the Queen. But that didn't stop Ripley from climbing up, open up the emergency closing mechanism etc. saving the day.

What does that have to do with the egg and Bishop? Well, it's highly unlikely and quite unrealistic that Bishop managed to do all of that in 20 minutes (fly back and forth from Sulaco with an egg), but so was the rest of the ending part of the movie. 20 minutes in a movie like this might as well be a couple of hours. So if the next Alien series movie director decides to imply that it indeed was Bishop that brought the egg, then sure - I'll fully accept it, just like how I accept the whole powerloader fight sequence. Unrealistic but well within the realm of possibility presented in the movie.

SiL

SiL

It would have taken 100 minutes to get there and back, it's impossible in 20.

If we ignore literally everything the film establishes that shows he categorically could not have placed the egg, then sure, it's possible. But at that point so is anything and nothing means anything any more.

426Buddy

426Buddy

But you are literally talking about things that are shown in the film. Bishop taking the egg is just something fans make up in there head to try and explain something in the sequel. Like I said you might as well just say the egg grew all by itself or wait until some film tries to pin it on Bishop.

But I say we agree to disagree. I've been in enough of these to know we aren't changing minds.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SiL on Sep 21, 2021, 09:24:40 PM

If we ignore literally everything the film establishes that shows he categorically could not have placed the egg, then sure, it's possible. But at that point so is anything and nothing means anything any more.

It's also impossible for Ripley to defy the vacuum of space the way she did, with a few tons of Xenomorph and powerloader latched onto her foot. But she did it. So if you can look past that, then yeah, 20 minutes is A LOT of time.

426Buddy

426Buddy

But I say we agree to disagree. I've been in enough of these to know we aren't changing minds.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 21, 2021, 09:27:25 PM

It's also impossible for Ripley to defy the vacuum of space the way she did, with a few tons of Xenomorph and powerloader latched onto her foot. But she did it. So it you can look past that, then yeah, 20 minutes is A LOT of time.
This is not how fiction works. At all. You're comparing two completely different things: one is the film ignoring reality - which films all do - and the other is the film ignoring its own reality.

Real world physics can take a hike. But if the film says it takes 50 minutes to get somewhere, it takes 50 minutes to get there. For Bishop to place the egg you have to contradict everything the film establishes, it does not "fit" with the story at all.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 21, 2021, 09:26:56 PM

Yup, there's a reason this thread just keeps on going and going and going... In the end there won't be any concensus unless some future Alien movie director decides to touch this topic.

...Or if Fox decides to alter the location of the egg digitally in some future A3 edition. Just place the egg inside the landing gear compartment, and there we go! The Queen brought it with her or laid it before she ripped Bishop in half.

SiL

SiL

Just cut the shot of the egg. It's that simple.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: SiL on Sep 21, 2021, 09:33:09 PM
Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Sep 21, 2021, 09:27:25 PM

It's also impossible for Ripley to defy the vacuum of space the way she did, with a few tons of Xenomorph and powerloader latched onto her foot. But she did it. So it you can look past that, then yeah, 20 minutes is A LOT of time.
This is not how fiction works. At all. You're comparing two completely different things: one is the film ignoring reality - which films all do - and the other is the film ignoring its own reality.

Real world physics can take a hike. But if the film says it takes 50 minutes to get somewhere, it takes 50 minutes to get there. For Bishop to place the egg you have to contradict everything the film establishes, it does not "fit" with the story at all.

Nope. They're the same. Time is defenitely HIGHLY relative in movies as well and can be stretched and circumvented in any way or manner to fit certain scenes. People can hold their breath for minutes, countdowns take forever and are always slowed down so that the hero can make it. People manage to squeeze in a lot of stuff in an unrealistic amount of time.

So yes indeed - Bishop could have made it back and forth from the Sulaco with that egg. However, since it has never been implied (yet) that he did it in any sequel or media, it's not a preferable go-to explanation. It screws around with the Bishop we all know and love, and it makes him feel more like the machine he is rather than the caring and soulful friend we see in ALIENS and A3.

Quote from: SiL on Sep 21, 2021, 09:35:11 PM
Just cut the shot of the egg. It's that simple.

Or that, which I suggested in my initial reply. I actually prefer it that way as it still preserves the mystery of how the egg got on board.

SiL

SiL

They're not the same. Films establish their own reality. Nothing about the planet or the Aliens or half the physics in the series is realistic, but that's ok because it's sci fi. You can't use the film ignoring outside reality to justify internal logic problems; otherwise, as I said, nothing matters and any explanation is possible. The egg just teleporting itself there is just as possible as Bishop if we go that route.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

What if Bishop got the eggs from the hive when he left to align the Dish and remote pilot the dropship? He had plenty of time to do both: 1 hr.

426Buddy

426Buddy

.....Bishop was standing there with Hicks and Ripley when the dropship arrives. Was he like "oh excuse me while I wheel these alien eggs onboard you guys."

This thread is true purgatory.

City Hunter Yautja

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: 426Buddy on Sep 21, 2021, 10:25:07 PM
.....Bishop was standing there with Hicks and Ripley when the dropship arrives. Was he like "oh excuse me while I wheel these alien eggs onboard you guys."

I meant when he goes and crawls in pipe and is outside alone with the dish. That'a way before Ellen and Hicks reach him.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah he's standing there alone with no egg when the dropship gets there, they get on board the dropship and leave to immediately. At no point is there time for Bishop to store an egg on the ship with Ripley amd Hicks right there.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

SM has already decreed that Bishop couldn't do it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed