Do you read comic books?

Yes, all the time
No, never ever
Sometimes, here and there
Author
Comic Book Readers (Read 908,566 times)

Shasvre

Shasvre

Except for the "less likely to pick up a comic book from the 60's". And I have read some of the old issues as well before reading these. It's just not the same.

Which Season One's have you read?

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

But it pretty much covers what these season one comics are doing, showing the origins of the characters. That's the basic idea, and re-releasing the old issues covers that.

Shasvre

Shasvre

The thing is, their age shows pretty well and the Season One volumes are to get new readers interested in these characters. I can't imagine many people today being too excited if they picked up the original issues. The Season One volumes does a good job of telling more or less the same story, but doing it for today's readers. The original issues would not accomplish the same thing.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Today's readers should already know the basic story. Hell back in the 90s when I didn't even read any comic books at all, I already knew what the basic origins for these characters were, once I read few of the first issue origins stories I had a much clearer view of how these characters came into being.

I've never heard of season one, but I did read a retelling of the Fantastic Four's origin called "First Family" once and that was pretty good,

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Season 1 is pretty much a pseudo reboot.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: ShadowPred on Aug 17, 2012, 06:46:19 PMToday's readers should already know the basic story.

Why? These characters aren't Superman, where pretty much everyone know who he is and where he come from. If this is a first time reader, you can't simply assume that he or she is gonna be up to date on the backstory.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Laufey on Aug 17, 2012, 06:53:12 PM
Quote from: ShadowPred on Aug 17, 2012, 06:46:19 PMToday's readers should already know the basic story.

Why? These characters aren't Superman, where pretty much everyone know who he is and where he come from. If this is a first time reader, you can't simply assume that he or she is gonna be up to date on the backstory.

There is no way that a first time reader is not going to know anything about these characters. No one is simply going to go through their life not hearing about let's say Spider-Man, and not know how he got his powers, and simply walk up to a comic book store and go "Spider-Man? Who is this?" and then proceeds to pick up season 1 of Spider-Man.

Nope

Nope

Updating a characters origin for a newer audience can produce great things, e.g. Batman: Year One.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Quote from: Shobidoo on Aug 17, 2012, 07:01:13 PM
Updating a characters origin for a newer audience can produce great things, e.g. Batman: Year One.

It can, but that's Year One as Batman. That story was never heard of before...Batman's first year, unlike what Marvel is doing which is basically trying to reboot without rebooting the characters.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Quote from: ShadowPred on Aug 17, 2012, 06:55:13 PMThere is no way that a first time reader is not going to know anything about these characters. No one is simply going to go through their life not hearing about let's say Spider-Man, and not know how he got his powers, and simply walk up to a comic book store and go "Spider-Man? Who is this?" and then proceeds to pick up season 1 of Spider-Man.

It would be even less likely that they would pick up a collection of the original issues. Yes, Spider-Man is a well known character, but take Ant-Man for example. Or Doctor Strange. That's where these volumes come in handy. Even Fantastic Four and Daredevil aren't that well known compared to Spider-Man. Many people would only know them from the movies and those are hardly a good example of the characters.

And it's not like these character doesn't benefit from an update. I'm gonna use Thor as an example, since I read the original comics a short while ago. The female characters for example was extremely outdated, as was the dialogue. That's not gonna bring many new readers. It's as simple as that.

Quote from: ShadowPred on Aug 17, 2012, 07:03:51 PMIt can, but that's Year One as Batman. That story was never heard of before, unlike what Marvel is doing which is basically trying to reboot without rebooting the characters.

It's not a reboot. These are contained stories and are not affecting the current storylines or anything like that.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Well I can agree with that first point Laufey, it's just that I can't see it being of any actual use when the old first issues tell the origin story that these season one comics are doing.

As to the second point, I know it's not a reboot which is why I have said things like "Pseudo reboot" and "reboot without rebooting the characters."

Shasvre

Shasvre

Fair enough. I wasn't really sure what you meant by pseudo reboot.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

Well the word Pseudo means false/fake.

False/fake Reboot!

Mostly going for the meaning "fake" in my case.

Rick Grimes

Rick Grimes

Finished reading TWD#101, nice follow up after the events from Issue 100, didn't touch new ground or go anywhere, but at least it had a few heartwarming moments. Particularly between
Spoiler
Carl and Sophia.

[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed