What's Wrong With AvP?

Started by overthere, Dec 05, 2015, 12:25:08 PM

Author
What's Wrong With AvP? (Read 33,779 times)

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 15, 2016, 11:12:38 PM
AR had a pretty good beginning and went ok until the newborn barfpuke. The location is 10 times better than AVP aboard a huge cool Military Spaceship. Having said that, 1000 feet below a pyramid in Antartica was probably the best location one can find on Earth, for an AVP story...AVPR sucks, don't even want to talk about that thing.
AVPR Whats AVPR?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jun 15, 2016, 09:56:30 PM
Yeah. They both have problems but I think Resurrection is more successful at what it's trying to be (even if what it's trying to be is the wrong kind of movie). AVP constantly feels like a film that's trying way too hard to be "hip" and "cool" and almost always failing. And good God the dialogue...

That's fair enough. Completely valid points. I don't know where I'd rank them in relation to each other. I've found myself capable of enjoying AvP more lately. I don't know what it is - I can see just the positives in it a bit more.

Mister Skeezler

Mister Skeezler

Every time I see that bullet-time facehugger shot, I cringe. Bullet-time was such a product of its time, and looks out of place in that universe.

Bughunter S. Thomson

Quote from: Mister Skeezler on Jun 16, 2016, 11:30:34 AM
Every time I see that bullet-time facehugger shot, I cringe. Bullet-time was such a product of its time, and looks out of place in that universe.

Considering a cardinal rule of horror is that less is more, bullet time definitely shouldn't exist in either franchise. Especially since when Bullet time appeared in any other movie, it was either a parody (Kung Pow, Scary movie) or a cheap rip off. Bullet time belongs to The Matrix.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Anyone feel like trolling the Strause Bros? I'll offer some comics.

THE CITY HUNTER

THE CITY HUNTER

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 16, 2016, 02:46:00 PM
Anyone feel like trolling the Strause Bros? I'll offer some comics.
Defo

Kaltes

Kaltes

Quote from: Bughunter S. Thomson on Jun 16, 2016, 12:48:00 PM
Considering a cardinal rule of horror is that less is more

I knew one guy who thought the first Predator was "lame" because he's invisible most of time.

Thomas H.

Thomas H.

Quote from: Nostromo on Jun 15, 2016, 11:12:38 PM
AR had a pretty good beginning and went ok until the newborn barfpuke. The location is 10 times better than AVP aboard a huge cool Military Spaceship. Having said that, 1000 feet below a pyramid in Antartica was probably the best location one can find on Earth, for an AVP story...AVPR sucks, don't even want to talk about that thing.

I dare not say this..... There are some shots in AvPR that I actually quite liked, action-wise. I liked Wolf. The PredAlien was cool to me, but this was the first time I ever saw a PredAlien. The Predator homeworld was fun, even though we only saw it for a little bit.
But yeah, the plot, the acting, the dialogue, the actual quoting of the famous 'Get to the chopper' line.....Never mind.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 16, 2016, 07:48:02 AM
I've found myself capable of enjoying AvP more lately. I don't know what it is - I can see just the positives in it a bit more.

This pleases me to hear where... the inverse could be said about me, surprisingly.

I saw the film the other day and while I still do enjoy it, and would like to see that storyline continued, branched off from what we're getting now from both Alien and Predator franchises... I saw a lot of reasons why people don't like the movie. Some shots of the Predators didn't make them look very good. Don't get me wrong, I love the armor design and everything but yeah...

Either that or.. I'm just not in love with it all as I used to be anymore.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

I think Huda said it all but I will say that the first film at least had a chance to be good if it was executed correctly, which it obviously wasn;t.
I disagree that film was too long, if anything it could have done with an another twenty odd minutes to help with character development. Only thing needed then is a good script and not taking artistic licences with real world facts because it makes the film look stupid.
The thing that annoyed me too was the lore breaking life-cycle, it was way too fast. I think one character was impregnated and burst within less than 10 minutes.

I agree with you to an extent Hicks, about the Predator behavior, but I disagree about Celtic, while they are indeed arrogant and over-confident creatures, they were never supposed to be suicidely so.
It does makes sense when it comes to hunting humans because they are inferior and so the Pred's demise comes from underestimating the humans but Xenomorphs are their physical equal or superior, so being cocky on a Xeno hunt is supremely stupid to say the least, a good hunter learns all they can about their quarry, evidently these predators didn't.

Kel G 426

Kel G 426

Quote from: windebieste on Dec 05, 2015, 11:55:40 PM
On the other hand, the story itself is an interesting take on the old 'Boys Own' adventure style of material that authors of the likes of Doyle, Burroughs, Lovecraft and Haggard popularised so many decades ago.   Each of these writers made their mark on popular culture by sending groups of explorers to previously unexplored parts of the world and the fantastic adventures their characters had there.   

If the story just HAD to take place on earth, then this is what the filmmakers should've embraced.  The same plot could've just as easily taken place in the early 1900s in some remote, unexplored jungle.  This would've given the film a real Lost World vibe, and the jungle setting would've given an extra layer of authenticity in regard to the first Predator film.

serbip1

serbip1

In my opinion they should make a movie based in the early ages,not with humans and based only on Aliens and Predators.Or a movie how they appeared and how they were viewed throughout the history

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed