Just rewatched Predator and noticed something interesting

Started by gameoverman, Aug 12, 2007, 12:30:25 PM

Author
Just rewatched Predator and noticed something interesting (Read 5,343 times)

Chaotic-Strike

Chaotic-Strike

I kind of liked the honor thing basicly everything is just out there to kill whatever they see. I think the whole honor code seperates the predator from the rest of the crowd I just dont like when it is pushed to far when preds are  humanized too much . They are still aliens out to get other species heads filmmakers and comic authors should not forget that.

Bishop2

Quote from: arachnophilia on Aug 30, 2007, 07:56:00 PM
Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Aug 30, 2007, 07:30:41 PM
There is a big difference between an "honour code" and killing for "sport".

when you throw back a fish that's too small, are you being honorable?

You throw back a fish because of the lack of meat on its bones, because you intend to use the fish you catch for sustinence.  As far as I know, Predators aren't hunting for food.

arachnophilia

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 03, 2007, 12:15:52 AM
Quote from: arachnophilia on Aug 30, 2007, 07:56:00 PM
There is a big difference between an "honour code" and killing for "sport".

when you throw back a fish that's too small, are you being honorable?

You throw back a fish because of the lack of meat on its bones, because you intend to use the fish you catch for sustinence.  As far as I know, Predators aren't hunting for food.

most people who fish aren't doing it out of necessity.

Dingo

Quote1) The Predator will only attack enemies who are armed in P1 and P2.

In the 2nd film the predator kills an old woman on the subway, there is absolutely nothing "honourable" about that.  Yeah sure she was armed with a handgun, but was she really a threat? 

Anyone with a gun is a threat. A a hand gun is so easy to operate: point and pull trigger and if you hit someone, high chance of it causing serious damage.

Dingo

I just remembered something. The Samuri would kill themselves if they were faced with defeat because they could not be faced defeat. This may be the samething in Predator culture except they blow themselves up instead of stabbing themselves.

Milan

The predator can kill anyone that gets in his way when he's about to get his selected target,
and he doesn't have to follow the code.

Porkus Maximus

QuoteAnyone with a gun is a threat. A a hand gun is so easy to operate: point and pull trigger and if you hit someone, high chance of it causing serious damage.

I think it's pretty well established that given the predator's cloaking and body armour, most domestic weapons are not a threat to him.  Especially considering how everyone in the entire movie has the missfortune of only ever aiming at points that are armoured. 

Any kind of honour code they have is flimsy at best.

The Diesel

Quote from: gameoverman on Aug 12, 2007, 12:30:25 PM
At no point does it show that the predator has any honour.  Firstly, he attacked Dutch's team without provocation - and probably Hopper's as well.  The fact he didn't kill Anna - only because it was "no sport" (as Arnold puts it).  At the end - he didn't kill Dutch because he wanted to play with him first by beating the living hell out of him.

So, how is all this honourable?  This predator was hardly honourable at all.  I'd argue the same with the P2 pred.  The elder giving Harrigan the gun seemed to be more of a random gesture because he was impressed that a weak human killed a predator than anything else.

The whole 'honour' thing was made up by the comics.  Who ever said that hunting was a 'honourable' sport, anyway?
I didn't think that the comics portrayed the Predators with much honor.  You find out that they don't really have much honor when it comes to killing humans.  I think that the one Predator, Dachende or whatever, may have seemed honorable, but the rest didn't.

DB

I've read some threads where this is apparently news.

I think it's pretty evident in the film, personally.

axeman

My own impression of the Predator in P1 is this.
He`s Young,been trained & proving himself a warrior.Thus he`s cocky & arrogant as he`s against a sub-species to the Predators.

The hunts against Human`s are a pre-trial if you will for those Good enough to return every 100 years to battle the Aliens in the Ultimate test of their Combat Skills.

So for the attitude of the Pred in P1 is typical of some young adult warrior who thinks he`s better (skilled & species) & after seeing Dutch`s team at work,singled Dutch out as he was the hardiest of the men.

That after all would have been even more of a vistory if the Pred had won,beating the best Human he found in Unarmed combat.

As said this is how I have put the Pred & AVP movie together to have some sort of order.

Master

They are hunting for sport. Every sport have their own rules. Preds follow the rules, but it is up to them which prey will they choose. A man with minigun is thesame threat as Alien, tyranosauric type of creature from troophy room and every other species they are hunting. If the creature was to easy to kill nobody would try to do so because it would be out of adrenaline. And that is what they are looking for. They do not eat preys, they are collecting skulls, skins and ocasionaly weapons or other sagnifican parts of their preys belongings. And I do nto agree that P1 Pred was young and unskilled, he was smart enough to  stay away from the guys with minigun and machine guns.

The Chibi Kiriyama

The ninja and Maasai warrior interpretations some fans have provided have worked well enough for me. A certain methodology to the killing with a smidge of rules, but none of the real trappings of a samurai-esque honor code. I think that it was that sort of excess that made it into AVP which obscured the real intents of the Predators as a species. But if they're nomadic, you can just say that like with any species some take things to extremes and that Scar's group was one of those extremist factions..

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed