Just rewatched Predator and noticed something interesting

Started by gameoverman, Aug 12, 2007, 12:30:25 PM

Author
Just rewatched Predator and noticed something interesting (Read 5,341 times)

hunterv555

so what was with that mark from avp? that scar thing  i dont remember what that was all about

The Ultimate Predator

No honour? Then what about shooting Blaine first before finally killing him with a plasma shot? I think tis a mixture of rules which are based on honour, and enjoying hunting.

hunterv555

hunterv555

and we are forgetting when the predator self destructs that has got to have something to deal with honor right?

Bishop2

Bishop2

1) The Predator will only attack enemies who are armed in P1 and P2.
2) In P2, the Predator deliberately leaves a pregnant woman alive - despite the fact that she is armed and after him.  This is quite obviously one of the biggest indicators that the Predator isn't as clear-cut "evil" as one might think.
3) In both films, the Predator attempts to commit suicide rather than risk defeat at the hands of a human.
4) When Danny Glover successfully defeats a Predator at the end of P2, the rest of the group leaves him alone and alive, even rewarding him with a trophy item.  Again, one of the biggest indicators of the code of honor.

13thpred

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 24, 2007, 01:57:41 PM
2) In P2, the Predator deliberately leaves a pregnant woman alive - despite the fact that she is armed and after him.  This is quite obviously one of the biggest indicators that the Predator isn't as clear-cut "evil" as one might think.
3) In both films, the Predator attempts to commit suicide rather than risk defeat at the hands of a human.
4) When Danny Glover successfully defeats a Predator at the end of P2, the rest of the group leaves him alone and alive, even rewarding him with a trophy item.  Again, one of the biggest indicators of the code of honor.

That's how I see it

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 24, 2007, 01:57:41 PM

Probably because it's fun. :)

Quote2) In P2, the Predator deliberately leaves a pregnant woman alive - despite the fact that she is armed and after him.  This is quite obviously one of the biggest indicators that the Predator isn't as clear-cut "evil" as one might think.

The gun was dropped.

Not sure if concepts of 'good' or 'evil' apply to them, but sadistic could well do.

Quote3) In both films, the Predator attempts to commit suicide rather than risk defeat at the hands of a human.

It was already defeated.

Quote4) When Danny Glover successfully defeats a Predator at the end of P2, the rest of the group leaves him alone and alive, even rewarding him with a trophy item.  Again, one of the biggest indicators of the code of honor.

There are numerous interpretations of why it was given. Even the most popular one isn't to do with honour, so much as just recognising the guy's skill. It could even have been using the bartering system, in exchange for the 'right' to claim back the body.

gameoverman

They don't kill unarmed people, kids, the sick or pregnant women because they don't get any pleasure from it.  It's no challenge to them. 

Mr. Weyland

Mr. Weyland

Its about trophies, the predator takes trophies from some of its kills, so when Danny Glover killed the predator he was rewarded with a trophy for his kill, its only fair  :P  maybe in the predator society they keep a trophy from what they kill and it also applies to other intelligent life forms.

I think that the marking in AVP1 was just to show that they have killed an alien, so other predators know that there a more dangerous hunter. 

zombie_sidekick

Quote from: Dekapitator on Aug 12, 2007, 01:05:37 PM
Predator (the movie) to me presents the ideal portrayal of the Predator: A mysterious alien creature that hunts for sport. Not a heroic warrior that battles for honor. ("Yautja")

Exactly.

Frankly, I don't give a shit about comic books and 'honor stuff'. Predator is a hunter, that's all. Hope this theme is gonna be present in AVP:R.

Bishop2

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 26, 2007, 12:28:52 AM

The gun was dropped.

AFTER it attacked her and grabbed her by the throat, yes.  By that logic, if you chop off your prey's arm and he drops his gun, he's automatically no longer worth the effort, right?  :P  And the implication of it zooming in on her womb was pretty damn obvious.  It's hard to disavow what they were trying to say.

QuoteIt was already defeated.

There's a difference between being actually KILLED by a human and being beaten by one.  Obviously the Predator in P2 was still healthy and fit enough to escape back to his ship; he simply decided the situation was precarious enough to throw in the towel.  That's not really defeat.  So why do it then?

QuoteThere are numerous interpretations of why it was given. Even the most popular one isn't to do with honour, so much as just recognising the guy's skill.

That's... the same exact thing.

QuoteIt could even have been using the bartering system, in exchange for the 'right' to claim back the body.

Funny shit.  :D

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Bishop2 on Aug 30, 2007, 05:41:13 PM
Quote from: Xenomorphine on Aug 26, 2007, 12:28:52 AM

The gun was dropped.

AFTER it attacked her and grabbed her by the throat, yes.  By that logic, if you chop off your prey's arm and he drops his gun, he's automatically no longer worth the effort, right?  :P  And the implication of it zooming in on her womb was pretty damn obvious.  It's hard to disavow what they were trying to say.

QuoteIt was already defeated.

There's a difference between being actually KILLED by a human and being beaten by one.  Obviously the Predator in P2 was still healthy and fit enough to escape back to his ship; he simply decided the situation was precarious enough to throw in the towel.  That's not really defeat.  So why do it then?

QuoteThere are numerous interpretations of why it was given. Even the most popular one isn't to do with honour, so much as just recognising the guy's skill.

That's... the same exact thing.

QuoteIt could even have been using the bartering system, in exchange for the 'right' to claim back the body.

Funny shit.  :D

Good points. I think honour is heavily indicated at. And I'm glad AvP and AvP2 are going to continue this.

Porkus Maximus

Quote1) The Predator will only attack enemies who are armed in P1 and P2.

In the 2nd film the predator kills an old woman on the subway, there is absolutely nothing "honourable" about that.  Yeah sure she was armed with a handgun, but was she really a threat?  I doubt it. In the cemetry, the predator was ready to kill the child before he noticed the gun was not real.  If he had killed him, would that have been 'honourable'? 

There is a big difference between an "honour code" and killing for "sport".

arachnophilia

Quote from: Porkus Maximus on Aug 30, 2007, 07:30:41 PM
There is a big difference between an "honour code" and killing for "sport".

when you throw back a fish that's too small, are you being honorable?

Warrior

Honor nothing, the predator is just a awsome hunting and killing machine, but they all had weapons and maybe he took them as threats

ScarPredator16

Quote from: Alien Warrior on Aug 12, 2007, 12:35:19 PM
>:(   I agree. The Predator kills people, yet he spared some people and even gave one the pistol. I think the Predator should have killed the main people right on the spot in both movies. Thus, doing that, they would gain honor, moving up higher rank in there clans.

And then there would be no movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed