Two things I liked from the AVP Reuqiem

Started by nukem11, Jan 22, 2018, 12:32:48 PM

Author
Two things I liked from the AVP Reuqiem (Read 12,333 times)

whiterabbit

Oh man I could go for some main course crittball in the next AVP-Requiem movie.

Still suicide nuking is pretty chicken shit and something that humans are already more than capable of doing ourselves. Be kinda neat if the predator actually aim his weapons himself. Sometimes I think when it throws the spear the spear is still somehow AI driven.

Wysps

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 16, 2018, 08:26:25 AM
Oh man I could go for some main course crittball in the next AVP-Requiem movie.

Still suicide nuking is pretty chicken shit and something that humans are already more than capable of doing ourselves. Be kinda neat if the predator actually aim his weapons himself. Sometimes I think when it throws the spear the spear is still somehow AI driven.

The marksmanship is uncanny, especially coming from a species with such poor eyesight.  Sure the mask helps a lot, but they're not at mammalian vision (or however you say it) yet.  Well, maybe after this new movie they will be.

whiterabbit

I haven't exactly dived all that deep into Predator biology but how good is there hearing? The best marksmen tend to have really good hearing. Much more important in close quarters combat than eyesight.

On topic one of the things that was nice with wolf was that he did give some aliens a royal beat down. Especially that one in the hospital that he straight up punches to death. From the teaser of The Predator the one shown seems to be a lot more agile than the predecessors. Kind of like Micheal Keatons bat suit vs Bales The Dark Knight bat suit or Big Chap vs the Aliens from Covenant.

SiL

They're pretty straight analogies for humans. We're kind of middle of the road for sight and sound so we use technology to give us a boost. So do they. We use binoculars, glasses, night-vision goggles; Predators wrap it all into one helmet. We use sensitive hearing instruments; Predators have a mask that can isolate a single person talking from a hundred meters away in the middle of an LA street.

That's entirely the point of them having the masks to begin with (well, that and breathing.)

Quote from: Wysps on May 17, 2018, 01:53:10 AM
but they're not at mammalian vision (or however you say it) yet.
What are you trying to say with "mammalian vision", though? Some mammals have absolutely terrible eyesight. Shit, some are literally blind.

Wysps

Quote from: SiL on May 17, 2018, 09:04:05 AM
They're pretty straight analogies for humans. We're kind of middle of the road for sight and sound so we use technology to give us a boost. So do they. We use binoculars, glasses, night-vision goggles; Predators wrap it all into one helmet. We use sensitive hearing instruments; Predators have a mask that can isolate a single person talking from a hundred meters away in the middle of an LA street.

That's entirely the point of them having the masks to begin with (well, that and breathing.)

Quote from: Wysps on May 17, 2018, 01:53:10 AM
but they're not at mammalian vision (or however you say it) yet.
What are you trying to say with "mammalian vision", though? Some mammals have absolutely terrible eyesight. Shit, some are literally blind.

I have no idea what I'm trying to say :laugh: Maybe I was thinking vision more along the lines of primates.  But I will say, from an evolutionary perspective, there'd have to be some sort of compensation for their poor eyesight.  Like whiterabbit mentioned, maybe excellent hearing?  Predators in the wild usually have some extremely acute sense that lets them dominate their environment.  I mean, they had to get to the top somehow before their tech was founded.

SiL

Same way as humans: hunt in groups, use numbers, increased intelligence allowed for tool making that gave them advantages over time. They don't need to dominate (although judging by the movies they're excellent acrobats).

OpenMaw

When I was younger I used to think the Predators heat vision would basically exclude them from being able to craft a space-faring society.

Then I learned just how blind humans are when you look at the spectrum. There's a lot of stuff that would be really great to see that we simply can't. Yet, here we are. Pretty advanced little monkeys.

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Yea humans are pretty damn blind. I still remember the day I learned that we can't actually see anything aside from light. Turn off the light at night and everything goes dark. Everything we see is non absorbed reflected light. Well, hell, we don't actually see anything at all. What we perceive as vision is our brains interpretation of light. In truth the brain could draw any picture it wants. So what we see as Predator Vision might just be all our primitive little brains can compute.

Still the Predators are men in rubber suits with advance technology. They have gotta fix that "too human" part, I think.

The Cruentus

Quote from: SiL on May 17, 2018, 09:04:05 AM

I don't think they need their mask for breathing, The Jungle Hunter did fine without one, and Royce and the group breathed fine on a planet that had an unmasked Predator strung up for days, so I think they breathe the same air as us. I think City Hunter needed that breathing device because he was sprayed with that chemical/nitrogen gun right in the face, which he probably inhaled and it messed with its lungs. I have heard some say its because its the city i.e polution and fumes.

OpenMaw

That, and, ya know, being shot repeatedly with a shotgun at point blank range probably didn't do him any favors.

Wysps

Quote from: whiterabbit on May 18, 2018, 09:08:13 AM
Yea humans are pretty damn blind. I still remember the day I learned that we can't actually see anything aside from light. Turn off the light at night and everything goes dark. Everything we see is non absorbed reflected light. Well, hell, we don't actually see anything at all. What we perceive as vision is our brains interpretation of light. In truth the brain could draw any picture it wants. So what we see as Predator Vision might just be all our primitive little brains can compute.

Still the Predators are men in rubber suits with advance technology. They have gotta fix that "too human" part, I think.

With you there, all the way.

I'm also not entirely convinced that they need their masks to actually breathe our air.  I vaguely remember reading somewhere that their atmosphere has increased levels of nitrogen or something (I think it was in one of the AVP novels), but I don't believe it's canon per se.  We see them running around, fighting and jumping without masks and not having any difficulty breathing, so it'd make sense if the masks are there just for added support if their o2 sats decrease during activity or like someone said, pollution.

OpenMaw

If I had to guess, our atmosphere is probably like mountain air to them. Probably not as dense as they might be used to. That's a guess.

Huggs

Quote from: OpenMaw on May 18, 2018, 04:50:10 PM
That, and, ya know, being shot repeatedly with a shotgun at point blank range probably didn't do him any favors.

Shotguns? air quality? Seriously, anybody that survives an attack by Gary Busey is gonna need oxygen and counseling. Don't mess with Big Daddy Pete :D

happypred

Requiem had quite a few good scenes featuring Wolf...but the small town setting and teen romance really dragged it down

ChanceVance

Just had a re-watch of Requiem, well just the Wolf parts really, skipped over the human stuff. 

The idea of the movie is actually quite terrifying in many ways. Xenos in suburbia, watching as a community full of people you know are suddenly being ripped to shreds by these nightmarish creatures and there's not a thing you can do. That is a scary concept but it is executed incredibly poorly in the film. Okay some power plant guy is killed whoop de doo. Those kids get killed at the pool, who were they again? 

I feel this movie got the Predator right at least. He does some dumb things and deals with some truly brain-dead Xenos for opposition but he was presented well. A lone, experienced hunter that has the guts to walk right into a Xeno lair and invite them to come get him.   

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed